Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2009, 09:40 AM
2nd time BAR, no longer JAFO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
I guess the Canadian government is afraid the people will revolt and launch at them...

Hey...this was supposed to be a classified secret, eh?

Don't get me wrong, we do have a lot of local hobby shops that I support and I don't mind spending a bit more money here and there, I was just mentioning that the American 'Big Stores" have a better selection than their Canadian stores. Sometimes it is nice to score a great deal, ie 40% coupon from Michael's for use on rockets.

On the topic of goverment regulation, we do have a lot of issues geting some products up here. The engines are not too bad, but certain paints are hard to get!!!

Model Master metalizer paints, for example, is nearly impossible to get up here now. There are a few other ones too, but I forget which ones exactly. Even certain glues are a bit hard to find here too. Something to do with certain chemicals, etc.

But then again, Canada is becoming more controlling each day. Did you know thay are trying to pass a bill that will prevent the sales of vitamins/suplements over the counter. You will need a prescription to get vitamin C!!

Ok...getting sidetracked again.....I keep doing that!

The problem with going through the border now is that I need a passport, something I never have had before. Also too lazy to go out and one.... Plus, even if I made it into the US to get to some of these clearance sales, the rest of you would have cleared the place out even before I got to the border!

I do have to look at the positive, using Mark II as an example (hope you don't mind mark), I do have a lot of things around me, 2 walmarts in the immediate area, 1 toys r us, Michael's, these are within a 10 minute drive. I won't even count what I have available within a 30 minute drive! I have 2 hobby shops (Northstar and Panther) within 10 minutes too, Taras at Advanced Rockets/Sigma Rocketry shop is about 15 minutes away, Sunward is about 20 mins away (I really should call Angelo and see him one day), and finally another hobby shop about 20 minutes by subway (quicker by subway than driving through the city). So, I can not complain!!!

Like I said early, I have the selection here, but it would be nice to get the super "big store" deals/clearance sometimes!!

Support your local hobby shops!!!!

"Up in smoke, that's where my money goes!!" - Tommy Chong
Old 03-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Master Modeler

I was in Vancouver BC early this week and in a WalMart Supercentre on Tuesday. Naturally I looked for rocket stuff - and found nothing at all.

I am glad to hear that engines and such are available in Canada as my second daughter and her husband and their daughter are relocating to the Vancouver area, so I'll have a reason to go up more frequently than my normal twice-yearly visits to Chilliwack to go to an electric R/C airplane meet. Flying rockets up there is something I'd like to do.

It is ironic that there is a move to make supplemental vitamins by prescription since a number of prescription-only drugs here are OTC in Canada.

I was in a local WalMart today and there were two recently opened packs of engines on the shelf next to the RTF rockets and the "designer's package" and the $14 starter set. They were the A/B packages (A8-3, A10-3T, B4-4, B6-4 assortment). No C's. They all scanned at $4.87 per package, though there was a shelf tag in front of one of them saying $3. I'd gotten some $3 C6-5 packs at this particular store a few weeks ago.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
I don't know what is going on with motors, I can only guess that Estes might be coming out with a different selection of motors for a "master pack" and that WM is selling off what they have. It makes no sense to have the kits without the motors..

The Walmarts I've been to here and in San Marcos have new master packs (assuming that means the shelf display unit full of different 3 packs). I don't know if this is a new/different assortment, I just mean that they're new since the end of season clearance last year.

These new packs seem to be very heavy on the A8-3s. They also contain B6-4s as they did last year. However, they also contain B4-4 and I'm not sure if those were available last year or not. Things were messy enough I could not tell if the C6-3s and C6-5s were part of the pack or came from their own pack. I didn't see any A10-3Ts at the three stores I visited.

They're all marking them $4.97 around here, although one store still has a $3/pack shelf tag next to the $4.97 shelf tag. Everything there rings up at $4.97. I suppose one could argue the $3 shelf tag, but I only feel justified in doing that if I believed the lower price in the first place, and in this case I know what's going on.

One of the local Walmarts just does not appear to carry Estes stuff. It's possible they simply ran out earlier and restocked later, but after several fruitless trips, I've stopped visiting that Walmart. So variation isn't just by city or region. It looks like it can vary by store.

One store I went to north of Austin on IH35, the Estes stuff wasn't on the shelf--not because of an official safety issue, but because an over-cautious pair of store employees weren't sure if they should stock them, since they use fire. Silly girls--and they were little teenaged girls. Probably grow into mothers who won't let their kids go outside because of all the dirt.