Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default New here

Hello everyone as I am new here I will give the quick rundown of myself. I have not done model rocketry in years and was looking to get started back into it once I get new job (getting fired sucks). My first rocket experiences was with my grandfather and dad launching their old models. I first started my stuff with an Estes patriot missile model that was most likely a skill level 1 grandfather got it for me and helped put it together. I figure I was about 10-12 at the time. Then I got busy with school and computers then lost interest for awhile. I recently found my old stuff and it has sparked my interest again. My stepfather has rocketry stuff that he has never flown so I figured I can help him as well and this looked like a good place if I needed advice on just about anything. Happy to see places like this and that model rocketry is not dead.

Now for one of the main questions I have about some of the stuff found in my stepfathers collection and whether or not they are worth selling and what they might be worth to purchase something newer.

He has the Estes Star Trek #1418 Starter kit. It is still in the box and it appears everything is still there including the engines. He also has a 1976 Estes catalog. The reason he is wondering about whether or not it would be worth selling is that he already has one put together.

Hope everyone's next launch is a safe and successful one,

The UnstoppableOnion
Old 06-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Master Modeler

Go to the sticky thread above your post and look at the databases posted by Gerry Fortin to see what your items have been selling for on ebay. The Mojo database link has catalogs and starter kits.

Oh, and if you don't know about Semroc be sure to check it out.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Old BAR

1418 Star Trek Starter Kit; first avail.1976 last avail.1978; 6-V Bat. Pad; Star Trek rocket

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/no...a/78est008.html

Probably not worth a whole lot unless you just really want to get rid of it, but I could be wrong.
I'm sure someone with more authority will chime in here. That said, I'd be tempted to keep it for the nostalgia sake of it.

Welcome to the forum!

I think you will enjoy it here.
If you ever have a question, just ask; someone will answer you and be nice about it, unlike certain other forums that shall remain nameless!

http://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts/default.asp

Allen
Old 06-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Junior Rocketeer

The 1418 kit was not listed in the information with the sticky post that is why I was wondering. My stepdad lived in AZ and it appears he left his Maxi-Brute V2 there because we have the box but no rocket, its the original one so I do not think it can handle the E engines but I pretty sure something could be modified and adapted to make it work hehe.

Its a shame it is not the Enterprise or the Klingon Battle cruiser that would have been worth something.

The UnstoppableOnion
Old 06-18-2011, 12:15 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstoppableonion
The 1418 kit was not listed in the information with the sticky post that is why I was wondering. My stepdad lived in AZ and it appears he left his Maxi-Brute V2 there because we have the box but no rocket, its the original one so I do not think it can handle the E engines but I pretty sure something could be modified and adapted to make it work hehe.

Its a shame it is not the Enterprise or the Klingon Battle cruiser that would have been worth something.

The UnstoppableOnion

I'd think that the starter set would be worth more than one of the other two kits just because of how seldom it's seen. Granted it's a fnc rocket with a plastic fin can, but I'd think that showing up at the pads with one would cause a bigger stir than an Enterprise or a Klingon warbird.
Maybe not, now that I think of it. I've never seen an Enterprise or Klingon Battle Cruiser fly. Might be kinda cool. Now all three in a line, THAT would be cool, and I don't even like Star Trek.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 06-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
... I don't even like Star Trek.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:58 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag

I liked one of the movies, but just because Spock said "Just one **** minute, Captain."

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 06-18-2011, 04:22 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I liked one of the movies, but just because Spock said "Just one **** minute, Captain."

What he said, was, "Just one d@mn minute, ADMIRAL" (Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home"...

Can you tell I'm a Trekker?? LOL

Later! OL JR
Old 06-23-2011, 02:15 AM
Got it bad BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
What he said, was, "Just one d@mn minute, ADMIRAL" (Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home"...

Can you tell I'm a Trekker?? LOL

Later! OL JR

And what did the Captain say?

NAR 85416 L3 as of 4/2010

"There is never enough rope to do the job but it is always long enough to hang yourself up with problems"
Old 06-23-2011, 06:34 AM
Master Modeler

"Double dumb ass on you"

(That was actually a little earlier in the movie. So many great lines in that flick, like "No, I'm from Iowa, I only work in space".)

"Those who trade liberty for security have neither" - Benjamin Franklin

"Semroc is almost always the answer" - Stefanj

www.paulsavia.com

www.soundclick.com/paulsavia