Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Craftsman

Here is a shot of two A10-3T casings one flew perfect, the other had a blow through... Can you tell which one? Not sure if you still have the casing and maybe your nozzle looks similar... The other pic is the results of my little engine failure. She cleaned up nice though and was back on the pad for a couple of nice flights that same day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1311.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  227.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1318.JPG
Views: 93
Size:  250.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1221.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  273.6 KB  
NAR #93503
MASA section 576
SAM #0316
Old 11-14-2007, 09:32 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.M.Knox
Here is a shot of two A10-3T casings one flew perfect, the other had a blow through... Can you tell which one? Not sure if you still have the casing and maybe your nozzle looks similar... The other pic is the results of my little engine failure. She cleaned up nice though and was back on the pad for a couple of nice flights that same day.

I'm gonna say the casing on the right had the blow through. My problem D12-7 has a couple of those little scorch marks on the front edge like the one that A10-3T has (which would seem to indicate that some of the blow through came out the front edge).

Looks like the biggest damage to yours was that the nose cone came apart. Glad to hear you were able to get it cleaned up and back together again. Of course, it is the 'Lucky' Seven after all.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:36 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.M.Knox

The one on the right. The nozzle has not been eroded the way the one on the left has, indicating an abruptly-ended thrust flow.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 11-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Craftsman

I tried to get a shot of the ejection end to show the difference but nothing turned out. The burn through had a very black and sooty inner casing to the end while the other has a very clean inner surface from clay cap to end along with some remnants of clay, the burn through engine is completely cleaned out from nozzle to end.

The black scorch mark on the casing edge is from the engine hook I believe. I think what happens with some of the 13mm engines is the hook actually catches some of the thrust burn/heat and redirects onto the casing under the hook. The mark is extremely uniform and shaped just like the hook.
NAR #93503
MASA section 576
SAM #0316
Old 11-15-2007, 05:06 PM
B.A.R.

You have great building skills. Those models look awesome! Don't get discouraged. Re-build them! Even the pro’s loose some. That’s what makes this hobby so much fun is the challenge and learning experience. When a flight does go well, the satisfaction is tremendous!
Old 11-16-2007, 06:16 AM
Yet another obsessed rocketeer

I know how bad it is when CATOs happen, lord knows I've seen enough. It's even worse when its an original kit that you cant get anymore or clone too easy. Those pre-launch photo's look really nice! Now I want one of the shuttle kits. Hope the repairs go well.

Ryan Leach
NAR# 87642
SAM #216
SoJARS NAR Section 593
Aerospace Education Officer
X-15 FANATIC
Old 11-17-2007, 09:12 PM
Craftsman

I really appreciate all the compliments and encouragement.

Now it is just a matter of when I get around to either repairing or rebuilding the shuttle ... I'm still not sure whether I should bother trying to do a repair on the white glider. The body tube has more creasing than shows up in the photos (mostly in the area of the mount for the orbiter). I'm not real sure there is a good way to repair BT dents/creases, especially on a glider, so I suppose it's either make the most of it and live with it or rebuild the whole glider.

On a positive note, I did finish another project recently with a better result from its first flight:

http://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=41175
Old 11-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Here is an example of a cycled motor having a blow through.

This was JimZ's original Goblin flown on I believe an old D11-9 at Naram 45 in Evansville.

Everyone just gasped and fell silent when this happend.

The picture is of the model about 8 feet above the launch rod.
The casing is about 2 feet below the model and the balsa nose cone is way above the model completely out of the picture.

Remarkably the only damage was a scorched crepe paper streamer. No other damage!

It flew again later in the day and dissapeared until I found it the next day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCN0598.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  94.1 KB  

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 11-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Dazed and Confused

Those are some really beautiful birds. I hope you have better luck with the rebuilds/replacements.