Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2017, 04:01 PM
Craftsman

Default Wac Attack!

Just finished my A.S.P. 29/38mm WAC Corporal in time for the Buccaneeer Blast this weekend😊!! A SUPER NICE kit ,😊👍👍!
Oops! Sorry...can't post pics.....says my file is too big.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:53 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Photo file size ... the bane of posting build threads here. If posting from your phone, take the picture with bigger margins, and use the photo app editing tool to crop the edges. My files are usually close to 2Mb, and your need them around 1.4Mb or so.

It’s an added annoyance but it works.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 10-17-2017, 07:12 PM
BAR

Simplest way-- open them in "paint" or similar program, and downsize them to about 50% (depending on the filesize/resolution). Hit "save as" and add an "a" to the existing filename, so you don't modify the original...

Upload the "a" pics, then discard.

Later! OL J R
Old 10-17-2017, 08:17 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Simplest way-- open them in "paint" or similar program, and downsize them to about 50% (depending on the filesize/resolution). Hit "save as" and add an "a" to the existing filename, so you don't modify the original...

Upload the "a" pics, then discard.
<wondering out lout>Why doesn't my browser scale them for me, ask me to scale them at send time? Better yet, why doesn't my browser ask the head end what the size constraints are, then advise me I need to scale, and ask if I want to do that?

Heck, with some analysis, the browser might even enhance the pic for me.

Seriously, as common a problem as this is, why don't browsers do this? Or the app running on the head end, for that matter - the server could prompt at upload time. It might determine the file is too big after upload, and ask to scale, then store the scaled copy.

I think most of this could be machine-to-machine exchange, meaning it would execute very quickly and be uploading and doctoring the file in short order.

Anyway, I sometimes wonder why some of life's most common tripping points continue to be tripping points despite the avalanche of technology we enjoy which should be able to readily handle this sort of exchange.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 10-17-2017, 08:55 PM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Seriously, as common a problem as this is, why don't browsers do this? Or the app running on the head end, for that matter - the server could prompt at upload time. It might determine the file is too big after upload, and ask to scale, then store the scaled copy.

This is really not the browser's job, it's the forum's. TRF scales down some uploads automatically, but it's not completely consistent in its behavior. In any case, it should not be a big problem for the forum server software to do a size check after upload and simply do a quick downscale using ImageMagick or whatever if necessary. I don't know what it would take to hack this feature into the version of software they're running here. Maybe there's already a plug-in to do this available somewhere.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:34 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gibson
Just finished my A.S.P. 29/38mm WAC Corporal in time for the Buccaneer Blast this weekend😊!!...

I look forward to seeing you there, Bill.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:02 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_w
This is really not the browser's job, it's the forum's. TRF scales down some uploads automatically, but it's not completely consistent in its behavior. In any case, it should not be a big problem for the forum server software to do a size check after upload and simply do a quick downscale using ImageMagick or whatever if necessary. I don't know what it would take to hack this feature into the version of software they're running here. Maybe there's already a plug-in to do this available somewhere.

Yeah, back in the days when I participated on the Terribly Run Forum, I used to type in my replies and thread on TRF and upload the pics there, which they would automatically be resized to the acceptable filesize limits, and then I'd save them to a temp folder on my hard drive and then mirror the build thread here, and upload the resized pics I'd saved from over there. Worked great and easy-peasy...

Course, that was before I dumped that place...

Later! OL J R
Old 10-18-2017, 06:22 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shockcord
I look forward to seeing you there, Bill.

Looking forward to seeing you as well😊👍!
Looks like it's going to be a bit breezy, but I'm launching anyway!
It's been too long .....CANT WAIT😊😊!!
Old 10-18-2017, 06:53 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing you as well😊👍!
Looks like it's going to be a bit breezy, but I'm launching anyway!
It's been too long .....CANT WAIT😊😊!!

Switch your parachutes out for streamers an enjoy.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:59 PM
Craftsman

Default Buc Blast

Quote:
Just finished my A.S.P. 29/38mm WAC Corporal in time for the Buccaneeer Blast this weekend😊!! A SUPER NICE kit ,😊👍👍!
Oops! Sorry...can't post pics.....says my file is too big.

Im hoping I can make it there, been in Lone Ranger mode the last two years.

Trying to finish up some of my own old classics, like the Astron SST version that flew over 20yrs ago. And, a 3" gliding Bomarc, for G to low H motors. Is Brian still selling onsite there?

Watching the wind as well, as well as my work. Just itchin' to get out there again, even if all my close pals are long gone......