Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 08:23 PM
The_Ripper

Exclamation New Design -- 1967 Centuri AEC Two Stage Rocket

I located two RockSim files that I made for this rocket I scratch built in 2006 using SEMROC LT-125 tubing for the booster and sustainer body tubes. One file featured 29mm mounts, the other I had entered my 24mm motor mount adapters in the design file since I built and used those removable adapters to fly mine. I updated and I'm posted the file for the 24mm version here. My rocket is based on the Two Stage Rocket Featured in EnerJet News Aug., 1972 No. 2

I scanned the EnerJet News rocket image and using GIMP and IrfanView played with the image scale and such until the body OD in my new image was close to a measured 1.34" and then cut out the fins from the image and cut patterns from cardboard. Took a few tries on the sweep of the sustainer fins to get the angles to "that looks about good enough", and the booster fins when scaled were almost dead on for the Scorpion so I used the SEMROC SLS Scorpion fins.

Recovery is with a streamer I cut from one of those emergency mylar thermal blankets because it's thin and I can pack a bunch of it in the airframe to recover the model on high flights.

Length: 36.00"
Diameter: 1.340" (LT-125)
Fin Span Dia. Booster: 7.34"
Fin Span Dia. Sustainer: 4.58"
Weight: 8.38 oz (Both Stages, with Adapters)

C11-0/C11-5 ..... Ain't gonna cut it, Too heavy so don't even think about it

D12-0/D12-7 ..... 1,580' ..... Dv 18 FPS ..... (Nice flight, fairly easy to recover - twice)

D12-0/E9-8 ..... 2,233' ..... Dv 27 FPS ..... (Flown at LARGE field. Very good combo.
Streamer only, unless you like long walks
or mangled parachutes).

E60-0/E9-8 ..... 2,589' ..... Dv 18FPS ..... (I have one pack left of FSI E60-0 but have not
attempted this yet but I do plan to fly in private, or
before or after range opens/closes ..... and yes
I have the parts on hand to build another booster

I included the Estes E12 that Craig created the .rse file for in a few of the sims to see how it would fair. The E12/E9 and E12/E12 combinations yielded the highest altitudes of the lot.

Thread with some additional information and pictures of the build located here:

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10190

Be careful. It's marginal without a payload if flown single stage and my "eyeball backwards engineering" of the fin patterns is subject to interpretation as well ..... just a word of caution. Who wants to fly it single stage anyway, let's have some fun!

Still looking for my back up with notes and pictures.

I hope to update the thread soon .....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  000 1967 Centuri AEC Two Stage Rocket.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  294.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  001 1967 Centuri AEC Two Stage Rocket.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  260.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  002 1967 Centuri AEC Two Stage Rocket.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  741.4 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Centuri Mini Max AEC Two Stage Rocket 24mm Adapters.rkt (112.5 KB, 32 views)
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates

Last edited by snaquin : 11-29-2011 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Correct Typo
Old 11-30-2011, 08:55 PM
The_Ripper

Note:

D12/D12 sims in RockSim show Minimum velocity for stable flight reached at: 65"

D12/E9 sims in RockSim show Minimum velocity for stable flight reached at: 80"

Used a 1/4" x 72" SS launch rod at our club launch without incident in calm wind conditions with these combinations. YMMV

Also I noticed in the file I posted the launch lugs are shown on the sustainer. Mine are mounted on the booster so I did have more useable rod having the lugs near the aft end of the rocket.

I forgot to note these things in the post last nite .....

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 11-30-2011, 09:12 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
I located two RockSim files that I made for this rocket I scratch built in 2006 using SEMROC LT-125 tubing for the booster and sustainer body tubes.
I was gonna suggest using lighter airframe, but upon rereading this, I see it's already built I love BP staging, and I was gonna say that normal, 0.020" thin-walled airframe works great when staging with C11's, D12's and E9's. The LT-125 does make sense for the original EnerJet motors, which were 29mm E's and F's, and also for the sake of authenticity But plain old BT-55 or ST-13 can readily handle the Estes D's and E's.

Doug

YORF member #11