Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
The Yaris is an example of a so-called car that is good for two things...
1) smashin up in a demo-derby
2) running off a cliff

Oh so its like a, 'Le Car' or Yugo?

J
Old 06-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
Oh so its like a, 'Le Car' or Yugo?

J
Whenever I would see a Le Car, I would always think, "Le POS"

In fact, I still think that, when I see a Smart Car.

Today, I saw a new Nissan Quest mini-van. It apparently has undergone a major uglification program. It looks like they took styling cues from the Mercedes wagon. It was pretty bad.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 06-07-2011, 02:58 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Yeah, it is in the same class as a POS Renault LeHeap, Yugo, or Chevy Metro/Sprint.

Nissan could do a lot worse than to take their styling cues from Mercedes...that would be a major improvement over all their POS styled designs.
******* heaps like the gawd-awful FUGLY Cube, Puke, Rogue, and ROTerra makes designs from Hyundai/KIA seem decent.
A troupe of crazed meth-head BABOONS must have been in charge of supervision.

I will say that Mercedes does have one design that is a gawd-awful mess...it is some idiotic swoopy WaGOON thing that is less stylish than a nice HEARSE. That designer must have been beaten repeatedly with a large club just before conceptualizing the design.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-07-2011, 03:01 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Had you rather have a Smart car with no back seat and worse gas mileage?

No, I'll keep my Elantra.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 06-07-2011, 03:02 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
The Yaris is an example of a so-called car that is good for two things...
1) smashin up in a demo-derby
2) running off a cliff

Man, they really have candy-assed demolition derbies where you live.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
So I used a trick that a friend taught me:

Get about a mile away from the officer where there is a slight bend in the road. Take the off-ramp where the street goes under the freeway. Immeadiately go under the freeway, and get back on going the opposite way. You just have to do this where there are no off-ramp stop lights and the traffic is light.

This worked a couple times I tried it. I think today, I wouldn't attempt such things because there are too many cameras watching the road ways and they would catch me.

As I ascended an overpass one time I flew past a DPS trooper sitting on the shoulder on the other side. In my mirrors, I can see him start to make a U-turn to come after me. I was able to respond by taking the next exit, quickly parking at a store and running inside to use the restroom which was why I was going at warp speed in the first place. After a few minutes, a look around at the parking lot from the front of the store showed that the coast was clear.

Since then, I have spoken with friends in law enforcement. Whenever pulled over, I stop as far to the right of the shoulder as I can. The officer likes to park his cruiser slightly less as far to the right behind you so that his vehicle provides him a little bit of a shield from passing traffic.

Turn off the engine and the radio. Turn on the emergency blinkers. Lower the front windows on both the driver and passenger's side. If it is night, turn the dome light on. Put both hands on the steering wheel and wait for him to come up to you.

Do not do anything he might perceive to be threatening and be courteous.

Do not lie as he has probably heard them all.

Following this advice, I have gotten several warnings but no tickets in well over a decade. On the last real ticket, I was well over the limit, but he wrote me up for only 15 over so that I was able to take care of the ticket by going to comedy defensive driving class.

Ironically, taking such a class gives me a discount on my insurance for three years. But in order to use the class to do the deferred adjudication thing on a ticket, I can not have taken a class in the prior three years. So if I get a ticket, I end up with a completion certificate for the discount. But I do not want to use up that "get out of jail free" card until I do get a ticket.

Quote:
Best to just take the ticket and tear it up when the office isn't watching

Good way to score an invitation to a warrant roundup and maybe an appearance on the local news...

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...

Last edited by Bill : 06-07-2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: this old hoss remembered something else
Old 06-07-2011, 09:29 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveR
I've always thought AMC made the ugliest cars - ever-. The Gremlin, Pacer, Matador, Javelin are all hideous.

I find the early to mid 70's Javelin rather attractive, sort of like a stretch Corvette.

Agree 100% on the Pacer and Matador. I did not think the Gremlin was too bad, though today, I will not buy one of those crossover SUVs with that upward swoop of the glassline at the back of the cargo area.

Bill.

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 06-08-2011, 04:41 AM
Where'd it go?

Default Ya'll gonna like me...

Fun thread.

The first car was a '56 Chevrolet Bel Air 4 door HT. Got it in '83 and drove it nearly 10 years until it was replaced by a similar '57. Both very easy to maintain and the 235 six is nearly indestructible.

I inherited a '74 Mercury Comet in '97 and sold the '57 before I moved to a different town ( I realized there was no way at the time that I could afford to restore it.)

That Comet was dead reliable and was sold last year and replaced with a low mileage '07 Honda Element.

It suits my puporses just fine; no problems whatsoever. It has A/C (a first for me), and other goodies. Heck, a friend and I went to NARAM 52 in it last year and
it got ~ 30 mpg with the A/C going.

I've been pulled over once in my life and that was back in '85. I'd lived in Dallas for 6 months, and was driving the '56. It had Ar. antique tags and I had Ar. Ins. All was squared away after 3 trips to the courthouse...

I avoid speeding tickets by letting nearly everyone pass me by. I'll cruise at 65-70 on the freeway and watch most fly by. I drive faster or slower depending upon the conditions.

Bob
p.s. I'm not totally wimped, Traveler ('07 BMW R1200 RT) helps keep me in line.

NAR# 54643 L-1

SAM# 043

AMA# 157091

VRCS# 154

A&P# 42x xx xxxx.