Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2008, 01:25 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Interestingly enough, Time Pilot/Time Pilot '84 are two games I'm watching for to get a good deal on for the basement.
Tops of my list right now is a decent Williams Robotron full-size (not the cabaret model) machine for a realistic price.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arley Davis
[...]
How many of you can remember the Mars Lander costing around $7.00 and most others costing under $3.00?

I can't say that I remember the ML costing $7, but I do remember it costing $4.75. And, yup, I remember when most kits cost under $3, and when Estes motors were $0.35 each, or 3 for $0.99 (and not just at Wal-Mart! ). I also remember when regular gasoline was $0.34/gal. (about the same as a pack of cigarettes), a dozen eggs cost $0.66, a half gallon of milk went for $0.75, and I remember when you could rent a really nice apartment for $200/mo. (heat included). I remember seeing an ad in Road & Track magazine for a brand new Jaguar XKE, showing its price as $5,999, and thinking, "Wow, that's a really expensive car!"

Of course, minimum wage was $1.86/hr., too.

And some of the kids in my high school graduating class even lived in really swanky homes that cost upwards of $60,000!

Mark \\.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 09-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
How about a TV in the basement? A nice 50 inch or so Pioneer Plasma or Sony Bravia, I think, is called for here!
Allen

Yep, I did that, but when we switched to DirecTV, I piggybacked off the upstairs receiver. Guess what, I got to watch Lifetime movies in my shop ...

I replaced the TV with an old stereo receiver (remember those?!) with an input cable for my iPod. A pretty decent addition/alternative until I decide I want to add a satellite receiver to the basement. Not sure its worth it, and I cannot seem to follow TV while doing anything in the shop anyway.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 09-27-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
Lee...that is unforgivably clean...

sandman,

I have to admit this is a picture taken right after a big cleanup. I was so disgusted with the woodchips, sawdust and piles of junk everywhere that I took a couple hours to clean it up.

Sometimes I tell myself there will be no hobby activities at all until the shop is clean.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
sandman,

I have to admit this is a picture taken right after a big cleanup. I was so disgusted with the woodchips, sawdust and piles of junk everywhere that I took a couple hours to clean it up.

Sometimes I tell myself there will be no hobby activities at all until the shop is clean.

OK...here's my excuse.

When the floor is covered with wood chip and I drop a sharp tool or precision instrament. it is protected from impact by the cushioning effect of the wood chips.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 09-27-2008, 08:12 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
OK...here's my excuse.

When the floor is covered with wood chip and I drop a sharp tool or precision instrament. it is protected from impact by the cushioning effect of the wood chips.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Visitors (spies) often show up unannounced at the Roachwerks seeking autographs,guided tours, and souvenier shavings. On the advice of Norm Abrams, Sandman has cleverly created a fake woodshop in his garage purposely designed to underimpress (see photos 1 - 3). Misters hidden in ceiling joists continuously spray "wood smell" to give the room an aura of authenticity. Surprisingly, the "lived in" look usually convinces the less knowledgeable that Sandman actually creates his masterpieces in such rustic surroundings.

Through a secret door at the back of the shop, however, is the elevator down to the real Roachwerks, located in a former Titan silo beneath Sandman's garage. This is where the real workshop resides. Level 16 of the workshop is shown in photo 4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Roachwerks1.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  98.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Roachwerks2.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  102.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Roachwerks3.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  113.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Roachwerks4.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  74.2 KB  
Old 09-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Rocket Powered Preacher

Quote:
You guys need to learn how to negotiate! Keeping your hobby out of the main part of the house is a matter of convincing your spouse you need a shop. Here is about 1/2 of mine. And so you do not mess up a kitchen or bathroom sink, you need a utility sink, too. My rocket table is at the end, and I'm ready to double the shop so this area is pure woodworking, and the new area is a "clean room" for assembly, airbrush booth, etc. Of course, I do make my wife nice gifts from wood periodically, and tackle some remodeling to keep her happy ...

My wife agreed that I need a worshop. I've attached a sketch of the one she suggested. We compromised and I moved into my nephew's garage and took some of the rent. I sure miss air conditioning...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  doghouse.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  28.9 KB  
TRA 03040, L1 8 March 2008
Photos of the "Fleet": http://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/

I used to tell Mom, "...I want to fly rockets when I grow up!"

She said, "Make up your mind, you can't do both!"
Old 09-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Rocket Powered Preacher

Quote:

I've tried that but a battery of 105s in the early 80s damaged my hearing. Now I tell myself but cannot hear it. My wife says I have the same problem hearing her.
TRA 03040, L1 8 March 2008
Photos of the "Fleet": http://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/

I used to tell Mom, "...I want to fly rockets when I grow up!"

She said, "Make up your mind, you can't do both!"
Old 09-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Visitors (spies) often show up unannounced at the Roachwerks seeking autographs,guided tours, and souvenier shavings. On the advice of Norm Abrams, Sandman has cleverly created a fake woodshop in his garage purposely designed to underimpress (see photos 1 - 3). Misters hidden in ceiling joists continuously spray "wood smell" to give the room an aura of authenticity. Surprisingly, the "lived in" look usually convinces the less knowledgeable that Sandman actually creates his masterpieces in such rustic surroundings.

Through a secret door at the back of the shop, however, is the elevator down to the real Roachwerks, located in a former Titan silo beneath Sandman's garage. This is where the real workshop resides. Level 16 of the workshop is shown in photo 4.

OK, that's just freakin' embarassing!

How did security let you smuggle a camera in???

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 09-29-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAL3
I've tried that but a battery of 105s in the early 80s damaged my hearing. Now I tell myself but cannot hear it. My wife says I have the same problem hearing her.

I've been married almost 35 years. I can carry on a conversation with my wife and never even realize what we were talking about. It takes years of practice, and sometimes you get away with it, but most of the time you pay dearly ...