Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2010, 09:31 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
There was a crappy movie called "Megaforce" that reportedly employed the Reese Brothers. The motorcycles used by the heroes shoot rockets.

The fact that they were model rockets was picked up by reviewers at the time.

The soundtrack was even crappier. Two of my friends thought otherwise, and I spent part of one semester in college hearing it every Monday, Wednesday and Friday on the way to school.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 01-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
And without the forward fins and painted red, white and blue in "The Fifth Element".

OH, yea in that funny hand held weapon thingy.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 01-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
There was a crappy movie called "Megaforce" that reportedly employed the Reese Brothers. The motorcycles used by the heroes shoot rockets.

The fact that they were model rockets was picked up by reviewers at the time.

FSI provided motors/rockets for several films.

I remember back in 1988 when I was at Enertek and reading a toy/hobby industry trade publication which had an article about FSI. Harold Reese was interviewed and discussed the work that FSI did on one of the Rambo movies (Either #2 or #3, I can't remember).

From personal experience working at AeroTech, movie companies are 'interesting' customers to work with.

Bob "Delta Force 2, Iron Eagle 3" Sanford
Old 01-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Launching since 1970.

FSI did the RPGs for Red Dawn.

I built the rocket for Amazing Grace and Chuck (a real stinker of a 'movie') and used Aerotech motors. (FSI wanted to charge them 10 times as much as me).

How about the Estes rocket in Diff'rent Strokes? Here is the episode number and info from wikipedia:

164"Russian Embassy"February 9, 19850719Arnold's toy rocket crash lands at the Russian embassy and nearly causes an international incident.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
OH, yea in that funny hand held weapon thingy.

Actually, that one was yellow I believe... The ones I'm talking about were mounted on a base with a shield and launched by the "Monglors"(?) at Bruce Willis on the ship orbiting FLOS-TON PARADISE!!!

NAR #32070
Old 01-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Actually, that one was yellow I believe... The ones I'm talking about were mounted on a base with a shield and launched by the "Monglors"(?) at Bruce Willis on the ship orbiting FLOS-TON PARADISE!!!

Right outside the concert hall. Whenever I spot that movie while scanning through the hundreds of DirecTV channels I pay for, I end up stopping and watching (or leaving it on in the background while I do something else).

http://www.moviesounds.com/element/omigod.wav
Old 01-04-2010, 11:20 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
FSI provided motors/rockets for several films.

I remember back in 1988 when I was at Enertek and reading a toy/hobby industry trade publication which had an article about FSI. Harold Reese was interviewed and discussed the work that FSI did on one of the Rambo movies (Either #2 or #3, I can't remember).

From personal experience working at AeroTech, movie companies are 'interesting' customers to work with.

Bob "Delta Force 2, Iron Eagle 3" Sanford

Bob,

any chance of digging that articel up and posting it someplace ?

I;d be happy to see FSI info reported.

as would others,

~ AL
Old 01-04-2010, 11:51 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:

Scott,

When I looked at those rockets, I thought they were a bit longer than the Bullpup, and I don't recall them having the tailcone. They looked like the straight-sided Magnum Hornet, although the decals were more Bullpup.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-04-2010, 01:30 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

There was an episode of Thirtysomething that got a lot of complaints from NAR members when they had Timothy Busfield's kid nearly blow himself up with an Estes Saturn V.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
I'll have to watch that online "Emergency!" episode. My father was a fire chief, and he (who controlled the TV set in the living room) didn't watch the show much because he couldn't suspend disbelief long enough to get into the stories due to all of the technical oversights that the stories often required. His common comment on the show was, "We just don't do it that way in real life!"

I did, however, see another episode of "Emergency!" that involved a boy who built a full-scale rocket that looked just like Evel Knievel's Skycycle rocket (although it was gray or gray-green instead of red, white, and blue). The boy's father, who called the paramedics because of his son's impending launch disaster, made a sarcastic comment to them that stung me back then: "Other kids want to play football--*mine* wants to go to the Moon!"

I have also heard of (but not seen) an episode of "Family Matters" involving Steve Urkel and a Cox Saturn IB launched indoors that depicted our hobby in a less-than-positive light.

Yep. The kid was a boy genious. I remember that episode.

As for "we just don't do it that way in real life". Sigs30 and I can attest to that also. It kills me that they go into burning buildings wearing slacks and regular shoes. Yet if they get a call at night, they jump into their bunker pants/boots. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

I never could get into Erkel, so I didn't see that episode.