Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Craftsman

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryfortin
Hi Jimid,

Just started to add images from your posts to the Estes kit databases. Was able to upload the Big Bertha and Spaceman no hangtag kits. More are on the way as time allows. I had never seen the early Big Bertha until you posted. Please keep up the sharing and thanks for allowing me to use the images for building the different K kit varieties. This is turning out to be an insightful project.

Great Gerry, Very Happy to help. This is the very first packaging on the Big Bertha when this kit was released. The other photo I have of this kit has a face card Pre-Damon with Hang Tag packed around 1968/69. Yes I have a few more Estes K series kit left to put on. Will be up very soon.

You Take Care, Jimi
Old 05-28-2009, 08:57 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Hello,Jimi

I've been spending part of the last few days drooling at the photos of the mint Estes and Centuri kits you've posted. With every scrolldown,I keep thinking "Geez,he's got all of them!" Absolutely magnificent! Thank you so much for allowing us to enjoy them.

I noticed on the picture of some of your completed kits on the first post,the paint schemes on the Apogee,X-Ray,Farside X,Ranger,and Star Blazer are the same as the ones in the '71 and '72 Estes catalogs. I've done many,if not most of my kits with those same paint schemes. I'm currently working on the finish of an X-Ray x-kit with that design.

Were your models the ones that were actually featured in those catalogs? I always wondered who came up with those beautiful paint jobs.

-Steve
Old 05-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Master Modeler

Jimi, I am glad there are people like you to keep the history of rocketry alive. Someone sick like me just wants to open each of those kits, smell the old balsa, paper and put it together. Also my collection is from the late 70's and newer so they are not as expensive as your collection. Once again awesome job.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Craftsman

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Braun
Hello,Jimi

I've been spending part of the last few days drooling at the photos of the mint Estes and Centuri kits you've posted. With every scrolldown,I keep thinking "Geez,he's got all of them!" Absolutely magnificent! Thank you so much for allowing us to enjoy them.

I noticed on the picture of some of your completed kits on the first post,the paint schemes on the Apogee,X-Ray,Farside X,Ranger,and Star Blazer are the same as the ones in the '71 and '72 Estes catalogs. I've done many,if not most of my kits with those same paint schemes. I'm currently working on the finish of an X-Ray x-kit with that design.

Were your models the ones that were actually featured in those catalogs? I always wondered who came up with those beautiful paint jobs.

-Steve

Hi Steve, Glad you are enjoying the pic of my vintage kits. The ones that are built, Apogee II, X-Ray, Firside X , Ranger and Star Blazer are ones I built copying the ones in the Estes 71/72 cacalogs. When I get some time I will be posting a few more pic of more vitage kits in my collection.

Take Care, Jimi
Old 05-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Craftsman

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
Jimi, I am glad there are people like you to keep the history of rocketry alive. Someone sick like me just wants to open each of those kits, smell the old balsa, paper and put it together. Also my collection is from the late 70's and newer so they are not as expensive as your collection. Once again awesome job.

Hi, Glad you are enjoying the pic, I will be posting a few more vintage kits from my collection as soon as I get a chance.

Take Care, Jimi
Old 05-31-2009, 03:45 PM
Craftsman

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimid123
[QUOTE=Jimid123]

A Few More Pic...Jimi

Estes Bandit Mint Unopened

Centuri T-Bird Mint Unopened

Centuri Space Shuttle Mint Unopened

Estes Astron Omega Mint Unopened

Estes Astron Omega with Payload Mint Unopened

Hi Everyone, Here are a few more pics to enjoy of my vintage kits. Sorry for delay in getting more on, my Dad passed away.

Estes Pre-Damon Astron Nighthawk Mint Unopened

Estes Astron Starlight Mint Unopened

Estes Pre-Damon Astron Trident Mint UNopenedn

Estes Astron Beta Mint Unopened

Estes Astron Alpha II Mint Unopened (Kit #EK-25)

Take Care, Jimi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  7347.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  24.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  7355.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  26.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  7354.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  27.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  7353.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  25.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  7352.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  24.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  7351.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  24.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  7350.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  21.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  7349.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  24.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  7348.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  25.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  7356.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  25.4 KB  

Old 05-31-2009, 08:22 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
[QUOTE=Jimid123]

Hi Everyone, Here are a few more pics to enjoy of my vintage kits. Sorry for delay in getting more on, my Dad passed away.

Estes Pre-Damon Astron Nighthawk Mint Unopened

Estes Astron Starlight Mint Unopened

Estes Pre-Damon Astron Trident Mint UNopenedn

Estes Astron Beta Mint Unopened

Estes Astron Alpha II Mint Unopened (Kit #EK-25)

Take Care, Jimi

Hello,Jimi;

So very,very sorry to hear about your father. My sympathy to you and your family. My mom passed away a little over two years ago,and I still miss her terribly.

When was the Alpha II in circulation? I recall Estes having the standard Alpha,with balsa nose cone and fins,then introduced the Alpha III in 1971 with plastic nose cone and fin unit,and I always wondered why I never saw an Alpha II. So it did indeed exist,huh? What was the difference?

-Steve
Old 05-31-2009, 11:12 PM
Craftsman

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Braun
[QUOTE=Jimid123]
Hello,Jimi;

So very,very sorry to hear about your father. My sympathy to you and your family. My mom passed away a little over two years ago,and I still miss her terribly.

When was the Alpha II in circulation? I recall Estes having the standard Alpha,with balsa nose cone and fins,then introduced the Alpha III in 1971 with plastic nose cone and fin unit,and I always wondered why I never saw an Alpha II. So it did indeed exist,huh? What was the difference?

-Steve

Thank You Steve, The Estes Alpha II I have is from the very early 1970s. I do not know the date these came in production, can not even find them listed in there catalogs. As far as the difference I can not see any difference with this or the standard Alpha.

You Take Care, Jimi
Old 06-01-2009, 01:05 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Jimi,

could you check the Alpha II balsa sheet and tell us if it is die cut?

If so then that would be the difference to the normal Alpha.

Thanks,

Leo

PS: Sorry to read about your dad.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:03 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
[QUOTE=von Braun]

Thank You Steve, The Estes Alpha II I have is from the very early 1970s. I do not know the date these came in production, can not even find them listed in there catalogs. As far as the difference I can not see any difference with this or the standard Alpha.

You Take Care, Jimi

Hi,Jimi;

Wow,that's a real mind-boggler. The very early seventies was when I got hooked on model rocketry. In fact,I remember the very day;my oldest brother built an Estes Aerobee 300 and we launched it in the field behind our house-on April 13th,1970,the day Apollo 13 lifted off.

Anyway,I too never saw the Alpha II in any catalog,never saw one in any of the local hobby shops back then. I wonder if they manufactured a limited number of them then decided not to put them on the market,or only sold them in certain parts of the country. One can only guess. I believe you have a real museum piece there,buddy. And the Starlight and Trident-drool city!

Talk to ya later-
-Steve