Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2008, 04:56 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by F_O_G
Could I just use art class acrylic paint on rockets?

I've used tube acrylics in my airbrush, with the best results (so far, anyway) from Liquitex products. The really big thing is getting the viscosity right; it's easy to get the paint too thin. Liquitex sells a bottle of "airbrush medium" just for this purpose. You mix in a quantity of this to give the paint some "stickiness", and you finish thinning out the mix with water.

I like the water clean-up idea. It also doesn't bring all of those VOs to the party, which is a good thing if you have to spray around pets or other sensitive living things.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleNut
no they are not the same .

I posted solid info regarding airbrushing acrylics and I can post some sites that go into more detail about using them in an airbrush
I have dozens of rockets I can post pictures of using acrylics , airbrush medium and so forth
I've been using acrylics exclusivly for 3-4- years now .

thanks for letting me share my opinion and clear up a few facts,thats what makes yorf a great meeting place

If someone else who has posted info as well can show their acrylic airbrush work I would love to see it ....this would be a good thread to show off your work. and give some pointers... as they say, sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

intruder , solomariah, mark II.. obviously have some to share..right?

I've been following a thread on TRF about a Nike Hercules build. The builder, stymye, uses Createx acrylics in an airbrush. He typically uses Krylon white for the base color. His models look incredible. He also has a link to a photo server with lots of examples of his work. I bought a Createx set of 6 colors tonight at Hobby Lobby, using the 40% off. The paints sell for $3.00 a bottle, so pretty reasonable, considering they are pretty good sized (2 oz. I think?). Createx also sells airbrush paints for car detailing. Acrylics sure have come a long way. I asked him for details, He uses clear coat to seal colors, before masking and painting another color.

Here is the link. This mostly shows his work on rivets, but check out his website for his painting work ("pics" link in his sig).
http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=42132

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 01-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Too young to be a BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
I've used tube acrylics in my airbrush, with the best results (so far, anyway) from Liquitex products. The really big thing is getting the viscosity right; it's easy to get the paint too thin. Liquitex sells a bottle of "airbrush medium" just for this purpose. You mix in a quantity of this to give the paint some "stickiness", and you finish thinning out the mix with water.

I like the water clean-up idea. It also doesn't bring all of those VOs to the party, which is a good thing if you have to spray around pets or other sensitive living things.

If I'm not going to use an airbrush do I still have to use the Airbrush medium?
Old 01-24-2008, 05:46 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by F_O_G
If I'm not going to use an airbrush do I still have to use the Airbrush medium?

You'd need to look through the other additives in the acrylics section of the craft store to see what is recommended. This additive is intended for spraying the paint, as it has to be thinned down considerably more than you would for simply brush-painting. I'm not a "brush & canvas" person, so I don't usually look in this section myself except for grabbing some color and this one bottle.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635