Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2014, 07:34 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default What happened to the descriptive text in Estes catalogs?

Recently I was thumbing through a recent Estes catalog and noticed that I wasn't looking over the contents with the same enthusiasm as a kid. Sure, I'm a lot older now, and not the kid that I was back then. The newer catalog seemed heftier than I remember from the old catalog -- so it's not the volume that didn't make me feel not so enthusiastic. After getting back home, I dug up some of the old catalogs that I had as a kid -- and looking over the items listed, I felt the same sort of enthusiasm I felt as a kid -- then it dawned on me -- the newer catalog picture of item, and the specs, but none of the descriptive text. Okay, so when you really look at things, the text is essentially a sales pitch -- but then a bit more. for certain subjects it helps to convey the concept behind of the particular model (e.g. especially the "scale-like", fantasy, and exotic types).

scans of some old catalogs can be found on Ninfinger's site:
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/rockets.html
Old 06-17-2014, 08:09 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Good question. One thing they might say is the catalog is so crammed full of stuff that they don't have any room for descriptions. *I* might say that it is so crammed full of similar rockets that they are tired of making new stuff up, but that would be a little too cynical, since I understand why they have so many similar looking rockets (i.e. they sell). It probably has to do with something like they've found through market research that the marketing descriptions don't really help sell rockets (particularly through retail).

At one time (1980 or so), I was a little cynical about the descriptions themselves (I thought many were too cutesy) and I suggested that they tone them down a bit. I don't think they listened to me (I'm sure Mary Roberts would have let me know!) because it took thirty years for them to tone them down by eliminating them all!
Old 06-17-2014, 08:13 PM
I do not like Facebook

What I miss is the descriptive text in Estes instructions.

I ordered several times from Estes recently. Though it was still exciting to receive a box from Penrose, a bit of the thrill from my childhood was not there: the "free with order" hardcopy catalog. While I have already picked it up from the LHS, a kid without a nearby retail outlet is missing out.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 06-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Born Late Rocketeer

Quote:
What happened to the descriptive text in Estes catalogs?

It moved to the web site.
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
Old 06-17-2014, 09:54 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
What I miss is the descriptive text in Estes instructions.

I ordered several times from Estes recently. Though it was still exciting to receive a box from Penrose, a bit of the thrill from my childhood was not there: the "free with order" hardcopy catalog. While I have already picked it up from the LHS, a kid without a nearby retail outlet is missing out.

Bill

In my last order from Estes there was a catalog included. Even in the replacement part (kit) order I got a new catalog. These were shipped this year.

+1 to the instruction descriptive text. There have been steps that even though I've been around the block a few times, I've guessed on.

Seems especially true in motor mount "pictures" (sure as heck aint instructions). They will show marking off distances on the motor tube, then later show inserting the mount up to one of the marks.

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:23 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernomatic
In my last order from Estes there was a catalog included. Even in the replacement part (kit) order I got a new catalog. These were shipped this year.

+1 to the instruction descriptive text. There have been steps that even though I've been around the block a few times, I've guessed on.

Seems especially true in motor mount "pictures" (sure as heck aint instructions). They will show marking off distances on the motor tube, then later show inserting the mount up to one of the marks.

If there were descriptive text in the instructions, it'd be in Chinglish, or Engrish, whichever you prefer... They CERTAINLY wouldn't pay US rates for a technical writer to write the instructions...

Later! OL JR
Old 06-17-2014, 10:29 PM
Master: Dark Art of Model Rocketry

I wrote a few descriptions for the Quest catalog. I wrote like the fond memories of yesteryear.

And I totally frakked up some instructions I hear....

Master of the Dark Art of Model Rocketry

www.shrox.com
Old 06-18-2014, 07:16 AM
Born Late Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Though it was still exciting to receive a box from Penrose, a bit of the thrill from my childhood was not there: the "free with order" hardcopy catalog. While I have already picked it up from the LHS, a kid without a nearby retail outlet is missing out.

That "kid" would probably be bemused and befuddled by the whole concept of a paper catalog. The tactile experience appeals to people like us above a certain age, but other than that, the listings on the Estes web site, and on Amazon where they're more likely to do their shopping, do everything a catalog does and do it better, with multiple photographs, a couple paragraphs of descriptive text, technical specifications, customer reviews (which are generally useless, but if nothing else people seem to like writing them), and a video clip. What's that kid want dead trees for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  bb.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  229.4 KB  
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
Old 06-18-2014, 08:45 AM
Old Fart with Rockets

I miss the Estes catalogue having every part for every rocket available individually.

NAR 31689
Old 06-18-2014, 09:22 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Holmes
That "kid" would probably be bemused and befuddled by the whole concept of a paper catalog. The tactile experience appeals to people like us above a certain age, but other than that, the listings on the Estes web site, and on Amazon where they're more likely to do their shopping, do everything a catalog does and do it better, with multiple photographs, a couple paragraphs of descriptive text, technical specifications, customer reviews (which are generally useless, but if nothing else people seem to like writing them), and a video clip. What's that kid want dead trees for?

"Dead trees" works without power, at school or in areas where technology access is restricted (such as in school), and in areas where you don't have wifi or net access...

1's and 0's, not so much...

Course most kids, like my nephews, are ready to sit down and cry and don't know what to do with themselves if they lose access to their technology for more than 10 minutes nowdays... sad...

Later! OL JR