Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2015, 01:24 AM
Seagulls Beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race58
Anybody know where one could find the bottom piece of the CamRoc?
The part on the far right.

Ok, I realize that I'm REALLY late to this thread... BUT... I've asked the team of kids who are working on the CinerocDV to also work on the CamrocDV. The external parts are being designed to be interchangeable with the originals. The images below were created in OR to help the students visualize the Camroc before they received the one I sent them.

The red parts are placeholders for slots that I'm otherwise unable to model in OR.

Keep you're eyes peeled, as hopefully within the next couple of weeks the .STL print files will be posted (somewhere) and you'll be able to 3D print replacement parts (except for the clear ones and the rubberband)

Smile... Say Cheese!
Jim

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

Last edited by K'Tesh : 02-21-2015 at 01:48 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:18 AM
Paper Rocketeer

I've been thinking of playing with a 3d print of the camroc as well, but instead of being accurate inside, I want to put a small USB camera in the nose. I don't think I'll bother with trying to trigger a single photo at ejection, but will instead simply shoot a video of the flight pointing up and edit out a photo or series of photos from the resulting video.

One question, though - what is the diameter of the clear plastic disc on the front of the nose? I think I can get away with using clear sheet plastic for the disc and mount the USB camera right behind it so there should be minimal distortion.

Member of Launch Crue - http://launchcrue.org/

Hint #1: Do not use magician's flash paper for recovery wadding!

Hint #2: Clean your shoes after flyin' in that cow pasture - that ain't no dirt clod on the sole!
Old 02-21-2015, 09:01 AM
Master Modeler

The ones I have aren't totally round, but are about 0.8 inches in diameter depending on how it's turned. Maybe 0.795 if my calipers are that accurate. One gets the idea the recess that it fits into is 13/16" in diameter, the disk is a bit smaller.

And wow, I thought this was a new thread, not my (forgotten) one from 2008. Geez

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
IOne question, though - what is the diameter of the clear plastic disc on the front of the nose? I think I can get away with using clear sheet plastic for the disc and mount the USB camera right behind it so there should be minimal distortion.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:32 AM
Seagulls Beware...

Quote:
I've been thinking of playing with a 3d print of the camroc as well, but instead of being accurate inside, I want to put a small USB camera in the nose. I don't think I'll bother with trying to trigger a single photo at ejection, but will instead simply shoot a video of the flight pointing up and edit out a photo or series of photos from the resulting video.

One question, though - what is the diameter of the clear plastic disc on the front of the nose? I think I can get away with using clear sheet plastic for the disc and mount the USB camera right behind it so there should be minimal distortion.

Dang... I should have mentioned it (it was late, I was very tired)... The concept that I'm working with works like this: You install an 808 camera (stock configuration w/adapter) into an existing Camroc, or a printed copy. Have it look through a hole in a modified shutter (so it'll film itself going up... LOOK! The sky is getting closer!). Then when the camera would have taken it's picture normally, the shutter will trip, giving the viewer a moment of darkness. The next frame will be your "picture". The camera will then continue to video the decent through another hole in the shutter.

If you can't imagine that... Think of a movie where a subject is under surveillance. You see the subject through the photographer's lens, then you hear the camera click and the image freezes for a moment. When the image begins to move again, you're still looking through the camera lens.

My measurement of the plexiglass window had it at .8"

Last edited by K'Tesh : 02-21-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:34 PM
BAR

Quote:

You'll need OPTICALLY CLEAR plastic or glass...

My brother and I tried filming video though the front windshield of one of his lexan RC monster truck bodies, with a small camera attached to the roof with velcro directly behind the windshield in the "driver's position" for a "driver's eye view". Despite the fact that looking through the windshield it appears "crystal clear" and no problems visually looking through it, to the camera it was rather murky and distorted... almost like looking through a window smeared with vaseline...

I'd suggest that you leave the window off entirely and film directly out the front of the camera body, or else get one of those 808 camera snap-on lenses that they sell online for the cameras, which will give them either a fisheye or more of a telephoto type picture, depending on what you want to do.

Otherwise you'll need a true "optically clear" window to film through.

Later and good luck!
OL JR
Old 02-21-2015, 03:45 PM
Master Modeler

A minor point, but I don't think it is Plexiglass (acrylic). From how mine have yellowed over the years I'm going to guess it is cellulose acetate butyrate. Estes liked to use that polymer in various items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
My measurement of the plexiglass window had it at .8"
Old 02-21-2015, 03:52 PM
Master Modeler

Way back when there was an article (Model Rocketry Magazine?) showing you how to mod your Camroc to utilize color film. You had to use a glass lens instead of the plastic one, but I don't recall discussions about that window. I wonder if they just left it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
You'll need OPTICALLY CLEAR plastic or glass...
Old 02-22-2015, 12:22 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
Dang... I should have mentioned it (it was late, I was very tired)... The concept that I'm working with works like this: You install an 808 camera (stock configuration w/adapter) into an existing Camroc, or a printed copy. Have it look through a hole in a modified shutter (so it'll film itself going up... LOOK! The sky is getting closer!). Then when the camera would have taken it's picture normally, the shutter will trip, giving the viewer a moment of darkness. The next frame will be your "picture". The camera will then continue to video the decent through another hole in the shutter.

I like that idea. What was the "shutter speed" of the Camroc? You may have to slow it down somewhat to match the frame rate of the camera.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 02-22-2015, 01:02 AM
Seagulls Beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I like that idea. What was the "shutter speed" of the Camroc? You may have to slow it down somewhat to match the frame rate of the camera.

In the 1973 Estes Catalog, it's given as 1/1600 second. Anyway, even if it's too fast for the camera's sensor, there's still the audio to be the indication that a picture has been "taken".

Jim

Old 08-19-2018, 09:57 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Camroc stl files ?

I know this thread is old as dirt. But taking a long shot here.....did any Camroc stl files ever get posted ? Thanks !