Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2016, 05:48 PM
Colorado Based OTH BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Wow, you must have been doing something right! I built one from carbon fibre rod and used CA to bond it, but I felt that adhesion of the glue was poor. I don't trust the tower at all and have never had the nerve to launch.

Joe

Joe I need to correct my statement. I said the exact opposite of what I meant as I became confused what I did and realize after working with some more carbon rods I got it wrong. I use thin CA with micro-bubbles. It creates more surface area for the CA to take ahold of. Just use a tiny bit of the micro-bubbles to cover the joint or you will spend time sanding off the oversized knuckle. That is what I did in the first few. It had been awhile. I recently started working on a new tower for a new Mercury/Redstone using this method.
C.R.A.S.H. - NAR Section #482
SAM Member #0153

"I said Lunch, not Launch!"

- Far Out Space Nuts
Old 05-09-2016, 05:59 PM
Colorado Based OTH BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Alrighty guys,

Attached are pictures (one with flash and one without) of the 3D printed towers on both the K-41 capsule AND the Dr. Zooch capsule. They are made of PVC-like material that is surprisingly tough. Typical of 3d printing, they are rough to the touch. As I indicated above, I'm going to "paint" them with finishing resin which will both smooth them out and add strength. Recall that the K-41 capsule is to be rigged to parachute suspended horizontally. There's no way the aerospike would survive a point-down landing.

Yes, I know this is going slowly. . . .

I didn't get a Yuri's Day or a Big Al Cinco de Mayo launch because the weather's been so crappy. So I'm shooting for a Memorial Day launch, with K-41 to take to the skys after 41 years.

I'll post more pictures in coming days. I've got some Rescue Sandhawk pictures, too.

Fantastic Mark,

I presume this for the BT-60 Model.

Making them available for purchase could make you popular!
SAM Member #0153

- Far Out Space Nuts
Old 05-09-2016, 09:44 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

OK,

Here's the link: http://www.shapeways.com/product/YY...tionId=58511353

I worked with Michael on both the accuracy and the price (it was orignially $42.00). It will work on both Dr. Zooch and original Estes K-41 BT-60 based Mercury Redstone. The only mod to the Estes kit is to cut or sand off the tip of the nose cone as that is included on the tower.

And you should look around the Shapeways site. Type in "Estes" or "Rocket" and look around. You will be absolutely amazed at what you'll find. I have the nuclear nose for an ST-20 Redstone on the way. Some of the stuff is a little over-priced, but I found if you contact the designer, you might work something out.

I do hope this makes me popular. But wait, I already married the cheerleader captain, what else do I get? Actually, I'd just love to see pictures of K-41s returning to flight with these towers. THAT would be great!

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7

Last edited by MarkB. : 05-09-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:37 PM
Colorado Based OTH BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
OK,

Here's the link: http://www.shapeways.com/product/YY...tionId=58511353

I worked with Michael on both the accuracy and the price (it was orignially $42.00). It will work on both Dr. Zooch and original Estes K-41 BT-60 based Mercury Redstone. The only mod to the Estes kit is to cut or sand off the tip of the nose cone as that is included on the tower.

And you should look around the Shapeways site. Type in "Estes" or "Rocket" and look around. You will be absolutely amazed at what you'll find. I have the nuclear nose for an ST-20 Redstone on the way. Some of the stuff is a little over-priced, but I found if you contact the designer, you might work something out.

I do hope this makes me popular. But wait, I already married the cheerleader captain, what else do I get? Actually, I'd just love to see pictures of K-41s returning to flight with these towers. THAT would be great!

Yep I am aware of his site. I bought the Bt-60 Tail section for the Redstone and have my eyes on a few other goodies he makes. Some of his items are pricey, but that is the cost of limited runs and one off parts that take lots of time to design and make prototypes.
SAM Member #0153

- Far Out Space Nuts
Old 06-08-2016, 08:51 AM
Surfrajettes Fan

TaaDaa!

Well, it took a while (like, 40 years), but I have my K-41 Mercury-Redstone ready for launch. I stayed up last night assembling parachutes. I replaced the sticky dots with new ones and the shroud lines with new from Semroc, just to be safe. The pictures show the rocket in this morning's blue Texas sky with a close up of the capsule and the 3d printed tower.

A word on the tower: Finishing the tower, I used 30 minute epoxy to coat the entire tower. The epoxy filed the rough print grain perfectly and added considerably to the overall strength. I recommend that you do the epoxy in two parts: do the base and legs in one session and the nozzles and motor in a second session, going slowly to allow you to minimize the runs and drips while the epoxy drys. Don't ask me how I know. Paint was Rustoleum grey filler primer under good, old Testors Flat Red 1230 spray. The cap and ring were hand painted with Testors flat black. Everything, including the paper wraps, got a coat of Rustoleum clear Matte.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  k41.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  262.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  k41 cap.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  294.8 KB  

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7

Last edited by MarkB. : 06-08-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:04 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

That looks REALLY excellent!

Joe
Old 06-08-2016, 09:01 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

VERY Nice, Mark !
One of these days I'm going to have to build one of my three K-41 kits.
I built one way back in like 1981.
That kit with it's PIA tower, the K-29 1/70 Saturn 1B with wood tower, and original Estes Little Joe II are the ONLY kits I have built that rate a legitimate "Skill Level 5".
The Estes Saturn V and Mars Lander are not even close as difficult as those towers.
The new Estes kits that have a level 5 rating are a joke compared to the fins/tower on the K-41.
In my opinion, the K-41 MR is the most difficult to build LPR rocket ever kitted.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !