Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 12:05 AM
Black Brant & Congreve fanatic

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Estes has literally been a force for the good of education, society, and science, in a way far too important to characterize.

Jerry Irvine

As soon as I read this I thought "Now THAT would make a great quote for an Estes themed T-shirt!"

Was CAR-ACF# S 337
Was NAR# 91049
Was SAM# 0323

Life begins when the countdown reaches zero!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:16 AM
Rocket Huckster

In a nutshell that covers it, when you are contacted by lawyers it gets your attention. Right or wrong.

Thanks Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognbuff
Wow - this has become a truly hostile thread. Pity. The website IS very cool. As a hobbyist who got started "post-K-Kit" (1979), I'd love to see it go further - perhaps include the 1200-series kits. But that's easy to say when I'm not the one doing the legwork!

I haven't been on YORF for long, so I haven't seen Mike's apparently egregious "nannying" attempts in the past. Regardless, reading these posts, I'm left with the impression he had the rather chilling experience of having THE giant of the rocketry industry come at him with lawyers. "Stop making clones of our kits or we'll sue the pants off of you!!" Is that about right, Mike? It's enough to make anybody sensitive to the legal side of the rocketry business.

Estes is definitely sensitized to the law. I talked with those fine folks at the NARAM in Pueblo. I congratulated them on bringing back classic kits, and naturally offered my ideas on which classics should come out next. They then explained they can't reproduce some of their own kits because other manufacturers own the rights. (No dig on Carl here - Semroc often surpasses Estes in quality, so good on yah!). The law is natually a screwy thing - because it's made by lawyers.

Estes also had to drop the SR-71 because Lockheed-Martin demanded royalties on the kit sales. Royalties that actually OUTSTRIPPED kit sales - so the kit was dropped....

The crux of the matter here is this: The "schwag" on the website uses Estes logos. Estes owns the rights to those logos. They don't sell mugs and mousepads, so they aren't going to pursue legal action (right, Sandman?). But they probably COULD, whether we all like it or not. I think Mike pointed this out because it's a hot topic to him - not to nanny or belittle anybody. If you don't like an open discussion of a legal issue, ask yourself this: why does it bother you? It doesn't diminish the fantastic website - it's just a sad reminder of the litigious world in which we all live!
Low Prices, Fast Delivery. The Webs #1 Rocket Shop

YORF the rocketry forum where vendors can actually post in the vendors section.

TRF Banned and proud

Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack

Any Questions/Comments Click To Email Us
Old 02-27-2013, 09:16 AM
Aggressor Aerospace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Hobbico-Estes is shockingly forgiving on use of their IP in ways they do not compete (upscales, etc.). I happen to believe it increases their mind share and status among end users with no downside, and hope they also believe that.

I have never had contact with E-H legal and hope not to, and hope to never annoy them.

Estes has literally been a force for the good of education, society, and science, in a way far too important to characterize.

Jerry Irvine

Nice comments! Thanks Jerry!
Old 03-01-2013, 12:51 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejh64
Greetings!

Just wanted to take a moment to tell the YORF community of the completion of phase I of my Estes K-Kit research website, VintageEstesRockets.com...
Kindly,

Eric Higgins
Nice work Eric, thank you.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 03-08-2013, 07:22 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Just a wonderful website, Eric, for anyone interested in vintage Estes everything! It's obvious by its layout that a whole lot of thought has gone into it, and I know, from all of the conversations we have had, what a huge investment in time it has been for you. Destined, I'm sure, to become the go-to website for all enthusiastic Estes collectors. I know it's still a work in progress, but kudos to you for all you've done so far!

Joe (mojo1986)
Old 03-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Vintage Estes Rockets

Default BIG Day Today

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the kind words, all of you! There are many, many things on the horizon so keep an eye on my What's New page as well as this thread.

Im scanning MRN and photographing the last of my collection. I'll have those up in the next week or so. I have a really cool collection of vintage catalogues that I'll be adding to the site, and get ready - an interactive one at that!

Finally, we'll dig into promotional materials during the K-kit era, and some really neat stuff from the Warner collection.

Im guessing fall of 2013 for all of this, so I better get cracking!

Once again, thanks for the kind words. Isnt this great?

Eric

=======================================

Old 04-14-2013, 01:41 PM
Vintage Estes Rockets

Smile So Much Information :)

Hi Gang,

I just wanted to check in and let the collectors know that I have been updating the site, almost daily, and it is coming along very nice. I have received a mountain of positive feedback. Thank you all very much. It's extremely gratifying to know that collectors are enjoying the many hour Im devoting to this vast resource.

BIG NEWS! Danny Almond sent me a disk with the many kits that are currently or once were in his massive collection of 1200 + k-kits! Can you imagine--- 1200 K-Kits!!

Please keep checking in and refreshing your browser (f5) on the pages if you dont see the updates. It's really becoming something very, very special.

Hope you are all well and living your dreams! My life is so good and I love taking time to give back and help you all relive memories of the Golden Age.

Kind regards,

Eric

=======================================

Old 04-18-2013, 07:20 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Default Website

Hi Eric,,,thanks---more Stuff To Come. Danny.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:40 PM
BAR - Novice scratch builder

Default Excellent resource...

Estes collecting is my No. 1 obsession.
I branched off to collect original NCR and Vashon cold power kits.
Looking forward to your updates 2nd phase
Dave
Old 05-17-2013, 05:18 AM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Default kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoexe
Estes collecting is my No. 1 obsession.
I branched off to collect original NCR and Vashon cold power kits.
Looking forward to your updates 2nd phase
Dave

After 45 years of it- I am focusing on a very special few. BTW-last year, I finally got my MMI Aerobee Hi. Not to mention a lot of kits/catalogs signed by Vern. Ive come full circle with collecting- four times! Am putting on the brakes, but not quitting, for sure. Thanks for all support ! Danny Almond