Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Question Cineroc 3D printed reproduction?

If I could, I'd jump all a over to get a decent (flightworthy) COPY of the Cineroc's outer surfaces. I can't believe how hard it is to get one of the originals.

Someone could make serious bank if they were to get one back on the market.

Hell, I'd even buy just a copy of the shroud.

Thanks
Jim

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
If I could, I'd jump all a over to get a decent (flightworthy) COPY of the Cineroc's outer surfaces. I can't believe how hard it is to get one of the originals.

Someone could make serious bank if they were to get one back on the market.
You want a nosecone/payload section that's a close facsimile of the Cineroc ? Like this below? You can buy it from Semroc.

The part numbers are: BC-1834, BR-60-18 and ST-1844 . This gives you the cone, the payload tube and the adapter. You'll need to modify as necessary to mount your camera.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 12-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Default Not quite what I had in mind

Hi Doug,

Thanks, but I want to build a photographically identical (from the outside) clone of the the original. Internally it would be a mount for a 808 #16 camera.

Oh, and I do have the Semroc retro-reproduction of the Cineroc.

Let's put it like this... I have a short film that I'd like to make. In it, the Cineroc from the 1970's is a major plot element. If I could make it, I'd want it to be so realistic, you'd think that part of it was actually filmed in the summer of 1975. If I could, however, get an actual working Cineroc, I'd certainly use that in the film as well.

Thanks
Jim

Last edited by K'Tesh : 12-13-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:31 PM
spirit of 72

I'm confused. I was going to recommend the Semroc as well. I guess I don't know what "photographically identical (from the outside)" means.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samb
I'm confused. I was going to recommend the Semroc as well. I guess I don't know what "photographically identical (from the outside)" means.

Samb,

In the film I want to make, I want my rocket to fly, and be under close scrutiny. I wouldn't want some goof line in a review to say that you could clearly tell by the _blank_ that it wasn't real.

I actually am building the film around the rocket. It's the Cineroc that inspired the concept.

Ideally I'd have two of them... One that gets the modern electronics (and it's footage is used in the a critical, can't be done with the real thing, sequence), and the other be completely authentic.

Jim

Old 12-13-2013, 01:47 PM
spirit of 72

Quote:
Samb,

In the film I want to make, I want my rocket to fly, and be under close scrutiny. I wouldn't want some goof line in a review to say that you could clearly tell by the _blank_ that it wasn't real.

I actually am building the film around the rocket. It's the Cineroc that inspired the concept.

Jim

And the Semroc wont pass that test ? In that case, it's the Grail you seek ! Are you pure in mind and body ?
Old 12-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Quote:
And the Semroc wont pass that test ? In that case, it's the Grail you seek ! Are you pure in mind and body ?

The Semroc won't pass the the test. It's missing the camera's shroud. It's made from balsa and cardboard, and the look of the original plastic would be hard to duplicate.

Pure in mind and body? I don't think so... but if that's what it takes.... hmmm.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Samb,

Ideally I'd have two of them... One that gets the modern electronics (and it's footage is used in the a critical, can't be done with the real thing, sequence), and the other be completely authentic.

Jim

In the last few scenes of 'Inglorious Basterds' (surrender in the woods) Brad Pitt's loosened bow tie goes from inside a jacket to outside a jacket so many times it is not funny. If you are concerned that HD will yield a sufficient amount if ire, you may be dealing with concerns about a hyper-observant geek streak a mile wide - like mine.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 12-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
In the last few scenes of 'Inglorious Basterds' (surrender in the woods) Brad Pitt's loosened bow tie goes from inside a jacket to outside a jacket so many times it is not funny. If you are concerned that HD will yield a sufficient amount if ire, you may be dealing with concerns about a hyper-observant geek streak a mile wide - like mine.

Or mine... Tie Fighter flies through the center of the Millenium Falken in one battle sequence, or you could see through the snow speeder's (supposedly solid, and opaque) canopy framework. George fixed that, but never did manage to cure that dark smudge inside of the emperor's hood.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:28 PM
BAR

Quote:

Yeah... I don't get it either...

If you get the parts and finish them to look like the original, then it's going to be "photographically identical". There's been blueprints of the Cineroc posted on here, so that one could "duplicate" the exact outer mold line (OML) of the original and give it a finish to exactly duplicate the original. Use that for a filming model, and then use a different rocket with the 808 cam to do the actual filming...

The original Cineroc used a mirror hood, and a pretty darn small one at that. The mirror was small (like Astrocam) because it was very close to the lens, which was pretty small by photographic standards, and thus could give a "full field of view" via the nearby mirror without having to have a large mirror, had it been further away. Also, interestingly enough, the mirror hood on Cineroc was 'off center" or "offset" from the centerline of the vehicle, (not radially aligned) and rearward facing, versus the radially aligned (from the centerline) and forward facing mirror hood on the Astrocam. This "off center" non-radially aligned mirror hood on Cineroc would REALLY complicate getting usable footage from an "exact clone" of the Cineroc outer housing, enclosing a 808 or similar cam in a way to align with the mirror. I don't think an 808 cam would even fit exactly inside a Cineroc housing, unless it's one that can be disassembled and the camera remotely located into the mirror housing, via a ribbon cable. Then, of course, the problem is, the camera "chip" at the end of the ribbon cable is much larger than the original mirror hood of the Cineroc, meaning it's not going to be the exact same "outer mold line" of the Cineroc anyway.

If you're going to make a film to make it look like it was filmed in 1975, you're going to have to adopt some Hollywood methods... in the same way that you use "props" and costumes to replicate the things being commonly used and seen in the period of your film, they similarly use "props" to duplicate the functionality of certain things... where props of "the real thing" either don't exist anymore, or are incredibly rare and valuable and therefore not an option to use for actual filming, they use PROPS to "duplicate" the appearance of the original item... it doesn't have to duplicate the original FUNCTION of the original item, it just has to APPEAR TO ON FILM... IOW, say you did a movie set in the late 40's using UNIVAC... you wouldn't have to obtain an original UNIVAC or duplicate one part for part... you could, using historical photographs and blueprints and technical information sources, duplicate its outer and even inner appearance and make it look 100% convincingly real, without it actually having the exact same functional components and operating capabilities of the original. These kinds of things are typically called "shooting models" and are used to duplicate the appearance of the original on film. Say you wanted to show someone "working on" the UNIVAC doing maintenance or something-- you'd make a shooting model of the insides of it, say a panel with tubes or something identical to technical drawings of the original, and then filming that in the "maintenance scene". Sometimes these shooting models are surprisingly crude-- they're designed to be filmed from one side or one angle only but appear completely authentic from that particular angle or side... while the other side may be patently fake and ridiculous...

I'd suggest that if you want to make your "100% authentic" movie of a 1975 Cineroc, that you should use a couple different rockets-- a shooting model to duplicate the appearance of the Cineroc exactly from the outside on film, and a different model (as similar as possible if desired, but incorporating whatever changes are necessary to mount the camera in a way to film well) to do the actual filming... of course the rocket/camera doing the actual filming doesn't have to be SHOWN in the film-- simply edit in the footage to make it APPEAR to have come from the "shooting model" of the 100% outwardly accurate model of the Cineroc...

Sounds like you want to make a 100% functional model of the Cineroc with a completely historically accurate outer mold line that would be capable of doing all the filming itself with an 808 camera in lieu of the original super 8 film, that would produce near-identical (but superior quality no doubt, as the Cineroc didn't film very long and the quality was NOT great due to the small lens and mirror, and of course, NO SOUND) footage that you would get from a Cineroc...

If that's the case, then you certainly have your work cut out for you... and the best way to duplicate the OML of the Cineroc is with the parts list already mentioned, and some good craftsmanship. Figuring out the technical details to mount it all inside the tube and get the mirror and lens and stuff to all align properly is going to be the hard part, not duplicating the appearance of the outer housing...

Course, if you WANTED to duplicate the original, I guess you have a couple choices-- either 1) get your hands on an original in "outwardly good condition" (non-functional) and gut it down to the outer housing, into which you install your own modified 808 camera system components to make a functional unit, or 2) you get someone to actually do a 3D printing job to duplicate the housing of the Cineroc from the original plans that have been posted on the net, to create your "100% accurate" outer housing into which you install your 808 camera system...

Either way is going to cost you some money, and I doubt the results would be ANY better than what you'd get from doing some creative work with the Semroc parts already mentioned...

Good luck on your project! OL JR