Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2018, 05:23 AM
Avid Builder

Whoa, I need to get me some of those! My Q2G2 stash is running low. Thanks for posting this. Are they available only from Klima directly, or do they have a US distributor?
Old 08-18-2018, 05:43 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Only direct (if at all possible) but who knows. With Bill at the helm maybe some day Klima products might end up on the Estes website.

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 08-18-2018, 07:32 AM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
What they came up with is actually a product from Raketenmodellbau Klima GmbH

Tape Match

I don't why the brits used wicks. For instant ignition in conjunction with the tape match you would use these:

Igniter sticks

I fly all my cluster in this manner...

... be it single stage or multi stage rockets.

Ignition is super fast and very reliable.

Here an example video of the startup ignition in slow motion:

Click me video
Leo,

Great to hear from you, as always. Thanks so much for posting about the Klima product. In all these years at WSMC I’ve never seen anything like this. Lots of clusters launched on Euro motors but most appear to use straight electrical ignition. That’s why I found this so novel. I didn’t specifically ask the BRITs about it. Perhaps they were actually using Klima’s product.

Again, thanks so much for posting the link some photos.

Steve
Old 08-18-2018, 08:45 AM
Dazed and Confused

The batfE would go bat crap crazy if we tried to order the sticks and tape. Nevermind we can go to the local dept store or gas station and whip up something a million times worse.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:43 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Nevermind we can go to the local dept store or gas station and whip up something a million times worse.
A-MEN!

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 08-18-2018, 12:07 PM
Dazed and Confused

BTW, real FFFF is still available mail order from a few places if your local shop has stopped carrying it or has exclusively moved to substitutes like Pyrodex. FFFF is generally for a flintlock's frizzen pan (flash pan) so you won't use it in a percussion rifle, making it a bit harder to find. I'm partial to the Tennessee and Kentucky flintlock rifles for obvious reasons.

Graf & Sons in Missouri charges a flat $10 hazmat fee for up to 50 lbs. of BP (max the BATFE allows you to possess) and stocks Goex (Budweiser), Graf (Beck's) and Swiss (Appenzeller Bier). They have a minimum $40 order, but carry all kinds of reloading supplies, shooting accessories, safety glasses, ear protection, etc. that you can fill your cart with. Just remember that you are subject to draconian laws for purchase and storage of BP unless it is intended for use in firearms or antique devices. I don't know how old a model rocket would have to be to be considered an antique device.

If your shooting club wants to order for several members, Powder, Inc in Texas seems to have the best selection and price, including hazmat and shipping fees.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:06 PM
Avid Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
BTW, real FFFF is still available mail order from a few places if your local shop has stopped carrying it or has exclusively moved to substitutes like Pyrodex. FFFF is generally for a flintlock's frizzen pan (flash pan) so you won't use it in a percussion rifle, making it a bit harder to find. I'm partial to the Tennessee and Kentucky flintlock rifles for obvious reasons.

Graf & Sons in Missouri charges a flat $10 hazmat fee for up to 50 lbs. of BP (max the BATFE allows you to possess) and stocks Goex (Budweiser), Graf (Beck's) and Swiss (Appenzeller Bier). They have a minimum $40 order, but carry all kinds of reloading supplies, shooting accessories, safety glasses, ear protection, etc. that you can fill your cart with. Just remember that you are subject to draconian laws for purchase and storage of BP unless it is intended for use in firearms or antique devices. I don't know how old a model rocket would have to be to be considered an antique device.

If your shooting club wants to order for several members, Powder, Inc in Texas seems to have the best selection and price, including hazmat and shipping fees.

Thanks for the post. Recently I wanted to check into supplementing the ejection charge on one of my mid power rockets, and 4F was suggested as the best for that. When I checked all the gun shops in my area, NONE of them carried 4F. One guy I talked to said it was for insurance reasons. And I live on an island.
Also, question on the quickmatch. Had to educate myself, not being a gun and powder person. As I understand it, a quickmatch is a cotton thread impregnated with powder, and enclosed in a tube, which greatly speeds up it's ignition speed. But when I look at the pictures of the cellophane tape, especially the Brits , it looks like there is only powder there, no thread. And does anyone know if safety fuse can be used instead of the Klima ignitor stick? There's a guy selling safety fuse on EBay with free shipping. Appreciate it.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:32 PM
Dazed and Confused

I've been looking at cannon fuse too. Ebay has green 20 sec/ft in 2mm dia which would fit into more motors. 3mm stuff is available at 9 sec/ft, 4 sec/ft, and even one named "quick fuse" that claims 0.5 sec/ft. I don't know how anything about the brands and quality, and the 3mm won't fit all the way into some 18mm motors.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:43 PM
Dazed and Confused

Leo, we're jealous. You have access to Klima, Weco, Held, and our USA small motors!
Old 08-18-2018, 02:25 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

is that just 4F bp sprinkled on the middle of celo tape then folded shut?