Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2007, 01:21 PM
rocket dinosaur

Default 60's estes Design Booklet ?

I don't suppose anybody has one of these lying around that could be scanned?

tia

terry dean
nar 16158
Old 04-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
I don't suppose anybody has one of these lying around that could be scanned?
Terry,

Are you talking about the yellow pages from the late 60's catalogs? Or somethiing else? I have some hi-res scans of the yellow pages.

Doug
Old 04-09-2007, 02:22 PM
rocket dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Terry,

Are you talking about the yellow pages from the late 60's catalogs? Or somethiing else? I have some hi-res scans of the yellow pages.

Doug

doug: actually I'm NOT sure what I am talking about. But I'll take the scans if you want to email them o me?

tia

terry dean
nar 16158
Old 04-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Master Modeler

An early version is on Ninfinger. It's called "Estes Model Rocketry":

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...an/esttech.html

There was at least one later version. It came with my starter set in 1970. It had some updated technical reports and plans, but still listed some of those archaic plans with out of production parts.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
doug: actually I'm NOT sure what I am talking about. But I'll take the scans if you want to email them o me?
I need to find them. I think I archived them to CD when my old harddrive started getting full

Doug
Old 04-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
An early version is on Ninfinger. It's called "Estes Model Rocketry":

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...an/esttech.html
I've seen that before, but forgot about it. Thanks for posting the link, Stefan.

I got a kick out of seeing it this time. Most of the plans had fireworks parts - fin cans and nosecones - in them.

Next time someone's complaining about too much RTF/E2X "crap" ('cause they can't find Semroc, Flis and Squirrel Works on google) I'll show them this just to illustrate that RTF/E2X has always been part of the hobby.

What's really funny is that fireworks rockets haven't changed in 40 years They still use the same chintzy fin cans

Doug
Old 04-09-2007, 05:21 PM
rocket dinosaur

So thats the designers Handbook Stefan? hmm I must have missed that on Ninfingers. Doug, if this is what you have no need to rescan or submit. thansk to all

terry dean
nar 16158
Old 04-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Doug, if this is what you have no need to rescan or submit.
The yellow pages were more of rocketry primer and a safety review. Some of the material in this doc probably evolved its way into the yellow pages, though. Anyway, the yellow page section was copied in the center of the catalogs from one year to the next, remaining exactly the same for several years.

One half-baked idea I've had is to optically scan and process the yellow pages to recover them in text format, then reconstruct the doc using vector text with bitmap graphics. That would allow a hi-res version that wasn't 4 gigbytes. But, given today's cheap storage and bandwidth, it's an idea that only a few dial-up users such as myself deem worthy of the effort

Anyway, let me play around with them a bit, and I'll see what I can come up with. Maybe there's some benefit for others. I know over the years I got some helpful hints just looking at the pics. (There's a Kentucky redneck reading joke in there somewhere but I'm too tired to fish it out )

Doug

PS, Sorry to all you Aggies out there. But you did owe us a coach. Remember, you got Bear Bryant from us
Old 04-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Doug,

I will have to dig through some of my stuff that is stored away to see if I have any Estes Designers Guide. I know that I have a catalog-sized one from Centuri.

I do have an Estes booklet presented to attendees of NARAM 11 (my first) in 1969. It contains numerous plans from the Flying Jenny to the Zeta. Two of the designs that I built decades ago are the Challenger and the Starship Excalibur. I believe all of these plans appeared in the issue of Model Rocket News.

I also have the MRN Library Collection that contains excerts from Vol. 1 No. 2 up to Vol.20 No.3. Even has catalog No. 811 with it.

I'll see what else I can did up.

One of these days I'll make a DARS launch or meeting!

Chas
Old 04-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Anyway, let me play around with [the yellow page scans] a bit, and I'll see what I can come up with.
Never mind. I've been thru my CD stash, and I'm afraid the scans are hopelessly lost in loaner land. I made the effort to scan the 69 Estes catalog and one other into hi-res scans. Nothing against ninfinger, but I wanted some high-res scans I could zoom in on. Anyway, when my hard drive started getting full, it was a few hundred MB I could gain, so I archived them.

And unless I'm mistaken, I loaned them out. Bad mistake And I don't have the catalogs anymore. I had borrowed them. Dangit!

Doug