Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Send a message via AIM to NavyChief Send a message via MSN to NavyChief
Cool documentation of M18 Rictifier

Ok here it goes.

Its Monday. As good a day as any to start a project. Due to myself and the new wife in a DHS case battle, I don't get much time to build. But with any luck, I should be able to finish by the end of the week. I opened the bag today and took a look at the kit parts. Scanned the instructions into the computer for prosperity of getting the kit into RockSim when I have the money to purchase the program. From the looks of things, pretty simple. I picked the kit because it reminds me of the AIM-54C missile that I used to complain about walking around it in the Navy like most people walk around their coffee table. Just in miniature form. Standard 18mm motor mount, Estes-like shock cord mount (tri-fold), silver mylar chute and kevlar shockcord. . The kit comes with fin pattern in the instruction manual and not printed/laser cut on the balsa wood. As long as you have a steady hand, keen eye, sharp exacto knife and steel straight edge this should not pose a problem to anyone. I like this way any how. It makes ya feel more in touch with your rocket. Sort of like people liking manual shift cars. Anyone can finish cutting out a laser cut pattern. I have included a snap shot of the parts for any one's interest.

An new way of positioning the thrust ring is included. Unlike Estes using the next smaller BT and marking it off, AAR has you cut a positioning device out of the balsa wood and assemble it much like a Q-Modeling rocket display stand.

Other thing that I noticed was a very short story on page two of the instruction booklet to try and draw you into your rocket and make it personal. Sort of giving you a little history, although science fiction into the rocket your building. I think that is pretty cool. As 99% of the rockets we build today don't come with any history attached/printed in the instruction book. For a kid to have this story would be pretty neat. No need to have a library or an internet connection to find the history.

Next, motor mount and fin sanding/sealing.

The Chief
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  HPIM0610.JPG
Views: 122
Size:  429.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  M18Rectifier_page2.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  401.0 KB  
Old 10-26-2007, 06:05 PM
AA-ROCKETRY.COM

R U OK CHIEF? Not pushing, just wondering... Anywho, for anyone wishing to see the latest AAR rocket review please click here: NOXIOUS REVIEW
Old 10-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Smile M18 Rectifier Wings on

My son came over this last week and weekend for fall break. He got ahold of my M18 and started with the fins. He said it was easy. He did the ole trick of CA and tracing paper on just the lower fins as those will probably be the first ones to break from any hard landing on pavement. Fins attached with yellow glue and filleted. Pic taken but wife has the camera to take pics of the dogs she has for sell.

I will get the pic uploaded sometime tonight.

All that is left is the motor mount and prime/sand/paint.

Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  HPIM0611.JPG
Views: 87
Size:  67.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  HPIM0612.JPG
Views: 88
Size:  66.1 KB  

Last edited by NavyChief : 10-29-2007 at 04:58 PM. Reason: adding pics
Old 11-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Talking Primed and ready for color

Ok. Finished building my M18. pic enclosed. Ready for a little color paint. Primed with Krylon H<sub>2</sub>O White Primer. I can not find any skinny pin stripping around the house to use as "line" masking. So I will just mask off the area for the M18 Rictifier and the nose cone. I found some Navy Blue Krylon at Home Depot. That is about as close to the blue color in the pic. My son is anxious to be able as he says "And the monkey pushes the button". We should launch it next weekend weather permitting. The rocket group I launch with does not have any altitude measuring equipment. But the old timers says they can get pretty close. So I will use them for now.
The kit went together really well and easy. I just have to keep the son from getting his hands onto it and building the rest of the kit. I probably have as much fun building them as I do launching.

The Chief

P.S. Sorry for the mess behind the rocket. The wife and I raise Pit Bulls and the weekends tend to trash the table out. Blue puppies due just before X-Mas.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  M18Rectifier_packageLabel.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  453.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  M18Rectifier_primed.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  132.1 KB  
Old 11-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Talking American Alliance Rocketry M-18 Rectifier Finished

Ok. I finally got the project finished, primed and painted. Here are the results of my efforts.

I did not have a chance to launch it this past weekend due schedule conflicts. Hopefully this weekend will be the ticket. But central Oklahoma has a cold front moving through and that usually brings high winds. But we will see; sunday is a long way out.

I am using the little rockets to bring my finishing skills up to speed before I tackle a mid/low-high power rocket that probably will have more money than my allowance will allow stuck into it. Better to practice and perfect skills on small low power stuff before I ruin a big rocket. I am working on my bronze NARTECH also. I might use this rocket for the parachute task.

Tony,
aka The Chief
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  m18Rectifier_finished.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  22.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  M18Rectifier_finsFinished.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  45.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  M18Rectifier_decalFinished.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  23.2 KB  
Old 11-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Post American Alliance Rocketry M-18 Rectifier Finished

I will post a launch/flight report when I get to fly it on EMRR's website for Flight Logs.

Now onto the M11 Wrath.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:07 AM
AA-ROCKETRY.COM

Default Another AAR review

For anyone interested, here is a link to the the lastest American Alliance Rocket review: M4 NOXIOUS Although I seen no mention of it, it was posted by a sweet lady (Charleine.) Further, I would like to mention that "eventually" this kit will be modified to a two stage model (for an option) as in the real NIKE AJAX, also there will probably be upgrades available for 29mm and possible 38mm applications. Although a 38mm is in mind, it will be some time before this transpires as the kit will have to be totally reworked to accept the added weight and stress it will be subjected to.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Send a message via AIM to MSUrocketgurl Send a message via Yahoo to MSUrocketgurl

I definitely want to get my hands on the M18 kit. I just got finished building the AAR M15 Snake and loved it.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:00 AM
AA-ROCKETRY.COM

Default Latest review

SNAKE review ~ My thanks go out to: MSUrocketgurl.