Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
Estes Outlander, incredibly cool but insanely overweight for 18mm, should only have come out in 24mm, though flies nicely on 18mm composites, just not something the typical novice reading the recommended motor list would figure out on their own.

Yes. Grossly underpowered! I converted one of mine to 24mm and lost it in a pond on it's cherry flight.

I have a problem with ponds.

Trees, too.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 10-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Master Modeler

Although the Cosmos Mariner is (from everything I've read and seen concerning it over the years) a lousy kit at best, it does have one feature that could be useful for other rear-motor boost-gliders, whether they eject just their motor casings or complete "power pods" that descend under streamers or parachutes:

The Cosmos Mariner has the elevon on one wing fixed in an "up-elevon" position to induce the model to spin during powered ascent, in order to "even out" mis-alignments of aerodynamic force vectors and the thrust vector to make the model fly straight (or straighter) during ascent. The other wing's elevon is held flat during ascent and is deployed to the "up-elevon" position at ejection. This feature could be useful for heavier rear-motor boost-gliders and for scale rear-motor boost-gliders (such as X-15 models) that might otherwise be marginally unstable during powered ascent.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 10-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Although the Cosmos Mariner is (from everything I've read and seen concerning it over the years) a lousy kit at best, it does have one feature that could be useful for other rear-motor boost-gliders, whether they eject just their motor casings or complete "power pods" that descend under streamers or parachutes:

The Cosmos Mariner has the elevon on one wing fixed in an "up-elevon" position to induce the model to spin during powered ascent, in order to "even out" mis-alignments of aerodynamic force vectors and the thrust vector to make the model fly straight (or straighter) during ascent. The other wing's elevon is held flat during ascent and is deployed to the "up-elevon" position at ejection. This feature could be useful for heavier rear-motor boost-gliders and for scale rear-motor boost-gliders (such as X-15 models) that might otherwise be marginally unstable during powered ascent.

My all-time favorite BG was the Crusader Swing-Wing. I had the pleasure of building and owning only one. It was beautifully balanced for it's glide and I probably got 20 flights out of it.

The boost unit was lost...........in a pond.

The ScissorWing transport is similar, but not quite as elegant as the Crusader was (sniff).

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 10-31-2010, 04:17 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Ditto on the entire X-prize fleet--except for the Canadian Arrow. I've built thre of them into Canadian Arrows and probably bashed 2 dozen of them into V2's.

Hence....

Ditto on that... I didn't like the Canadian Arrow kit for it's X-prize livery; I reworked mine into a "Kriegsmarine U-Boote launched stretched V-2" like the early proposals for U-boat launched missiles the Germans were working on late in the war... launched from a "storage can" towed behind the submarine with an extra diesel tank in the base for extra sub fuel, which was pumped over by a hose, and then the empty fuel tank was flooded with seawater to make the missile can float upright to fuel and launch the V-2... A rather cumbersome plan, but the first iteration of a submarine launched "long range" (short range by today's standards) missile, and from the much smaller submarines which were available in WWII.

I used much the same paint pattern used on the Polaris missiles, extended to the back and the fins/tapered tailcone to make it look more 'authentic'. After doing some research online looking for submarine "nose art" typical to the German Navy, and finding most of it rather goofy looking and silly (a lot of pigs and elephants (for good luck?), umbrellas (joke on being underwater in a sub?) and caricatures of fish, donkeys, and Churchill, (nothing COOL looking like the stuff in the movie "U-576" I finally made my own "stylized" interpretation of missile "nose art" that would likely have been approved by the Propaganda Ministry (or navy brass in the Kriegsmarine) for such an important mission-- then hand drew my own decal design, transferred it into the computer, reworked it a bit in "Paint" and then printed it off... Thought it was kinda cool for a first try at such things... Put the Swastika at the top (where else would it be?) held aloft on the nose of two dolphins to either side (denoting the 'under the sea' aspect) with a V-2 lifting off in the center, with it's tail flames morphing into the barbed flukes of an anchor (nautical theme again) with a crossed trident and sword behind it (weapon striking for the Fatherland).

Anyway, the Canadian Arrow is a GREAT kit for such kitbashing... MUCH more fun than the "stock" CA... I picked up another one for a 'bash into a B-52 launched SRAM missile... but the Rocksim is telling me I'll need a ton of noseweight or ungainly large fins to make the three-finned version stable... sorta a 'shelved work in progress' so to speak...

LateR! OL JR

PS... can't find a pic of the Kriegsmarine V-2... guess I'll have to take one and upload it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  V2 number 2.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  9.2 KB