Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2006, 04:05 PM
slave to the wind

Default Alternate Tube Technique?

Since getting back into this hobby, I have read with great interest, and learned all types of methods to get that nice finish on my project.

Once again I came up with an idea that I would like to bounce off of the forum. Has anyone, or is it possible to use self adhesive label to cover tubes? I mean, inkjet printable clear or white, printed with my own design, and wrapped around the tube? Lots of the Estes E2X and RTF kits have tubes that are just wrapped in what amounts to be one giant decal.

Obviously there would be a small bit of weight added (maybe a little more than the paint and primer) and the fins would have to be glued down first, as well as the launch lug, but it seems doable.

I was wondering if anyone has taken this route in the past and how it worked. I see lots of kits for making decals (Testor's kit was in Wal-Mart). Fins would still have to be finished properly, but I am creating a small kit (from leftovers) for my daughter to build.

We are sort of at this weird stage where E2X isn't challenging enough, but level 1 needs more finesse than she currently has. She can glue fins, lugs and even install a chute. I would definitely want to supervise the engine mount. I am considering the Viking, Starchaser or HighFlyer, but spiral filling might get to her. If we do a decal, she can paint it on the computer and we can print it and apply.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-22-2006, 04:14 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegod
Once again I came up with an idea that I would like to bounce off of the forum. Has anyone, or is it possible to use self adhesive label to cover tubes? I mean, inkjet printable clear or white, printed with my own design, and wrapped around the tube? ...wrapped in what amounts to be one giant decal.

Obviously there would be a small bit of weight added (maybe a little more than the paint and primer) and the fins would have to be glued down first, as well as the launch lug, but it seems doable.

BG,

I've used labels like this on fins, just to see if the finishing time can be reduced. It works well, and when you consider the reduction of some of the primer and filler weight, it roughly balances out.

I have a (modern) Estes Alpha III sitting off to the side that I want to finish in the original catalog pattern. A label is about the only way to do that.

For models with balsa fins, what you could do is mark the body wrap in the correct locations for the fins (make the outlines part of the printed image), then trim out those areas with an X-Acto knife before applying to the body tube. This requires getting the wrap positioned correctly, of course...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 03-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Once again I came up with an idea that I would like to bounce off of the forum. Has anyone, or is it possible to use self adhesive label to cover tubes? I mean, inkjet printable clear or white, printed with my own design, and wrapped around the tube? Lots of the Estes E2X and RTF kits have tubes that are just wrapped in what amounts to be one giant decal.

I've not heard of that but I do know people use stuff like MonoKote and its many variants. That's that heat shrink material RC guys use on their planes.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-22-2006, 05:56 PM
The_Ripper

BG

Another covering you may consider is the adhesive backed MonoKote also known as "Trim Sheets". Hobby stores that specialize in model aircraft generally have this hanging on the pegboard by the iron on MonoKote stuff. Comes in 5"x36" sheets with plenty of colors and checkerboards and cuts easily with a sharp knife and metal straight edge:

http://www.monokote.com/trim.html

I have used this with pretty good success. I have pictures of rockets I finished using this method in these threads:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...hlight=monokote

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...hlight=monokote

And another couple of images below of things you can do with this stuff. The metallic colors are very nice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Rocket_Fleet1.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  62.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  MiniMate.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  24.8 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 03-22-2006, 06:06 PM
slave to the wind

I actually thought of using the tailfin guide as a starting point then using the length of the tube as my second (length) measurement. I figured I could scan the original plan (the tube marking guide) and alter it on the PC using Windows Paint or some other such software.

I haven't looked yet but do they make full sheet self adhesive labels? I have seen the mailing labels of various sizes but never looked for larger. I am actually pretty excited to try it. I know I won't be able to get cool metallics out of it, but there are so many things that can be done.

I actually picked up a Gemini DC today (even paid regular retail) because I am out of stuff to do. I need to fire off a D12 so I can use the engine casing to make some blocks for the Nu-B1ST. Finished the Mimi and HannahMonster finished her Gnome. I have absolutely no projects to work on (not counting the Gemini). Unfortunately the Gemini tubes have inconsistent spirals. One side tube is tight, the others (main and other side) are wider. Lots of filling to do.

I am kind of excited to find there is a shop nearby that claims to have a full selection of scratch building parts available. I am trying not to be too hopeful, but it would be nice to have someone nearby who might share my interest some. For now, Carl gets my ducats. Well at least my allowance on Payday. My wife is actually behind me on most of it since HannahMonster loves going out with me to launch. She loves to push the fire button.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:34 PM
slave to the wind

So Steve, is this stuff like contact paper? Believe it or not, I have wondered about using that as well.

Basic rundown on installation if you don't mind. Just peel and stick?

For my next project the MonoKote looks good. For HannahMonster's, the labels give her the ability to add Mickey or Goofy or the Princesses to her model.

The hobby store I just mentioned is a distributor of Monokote.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:21 PM
The_Ripper

Yes it is similar to contact paper and it's fairly thin. Thinner than the Estes self adhesive decals or most self adhesive label material I have seen.

For a body tube I don't like to cover too much at one time because it is easy to get an air bubble under it. I lay it in pieces but you do get small seams. Use a piece of metal angle from Home Depot and run a straight line down the tube to align it. I cut it to size before I apply it and to wrap a tube I allow about 1/8" to overlap. Wrap a sheet of paper around the tube first andmark it to see how long you will need to cut your MonoKote. Some guys use a little mist sprayer with a drop or two of dishwashing soap in the water to spray on the surface to help you move it around a little before you press it down and squeege the excess water out. For a larger area I don't peel all the backing off at once, just a little at a time and press the air bubbles out end to end to stick it down.

It's pretty cheap at $2.50 a sheet. I'd suggest you try to make a few stripes or rings with it first or maybe inset a small amount in the fin area to get used to the stuff. For fins I generally paint them to match the body tube and cut a fin pattern for the kit but reduce it by about 1/8" all around to create a small border and have the contrasting MonoKote color inset in the fin. With a little practice I think you'll like it. That metallic charcoal is really nice looking. The chrome is highly reflective and helps with high flights.

Our weather here on the Gulf Coast doesn't permit very many good paint days and I don't mind a few seams so I use it quite a bit.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
Old 03-22-2006, 08:35 PM
slave to the wind

Thanks Steve,

I think I may be picking up a few sheets soon. Apparently Michaels carries something like it (though probably not the same quality). I don't mind experimenting on a few things. I've got the metal straight edges and all types of cutting stuff (roto blades, hot knife etc.). I may even spend a buck or two on some shelf contact paper if the pattern looks good.

I will definitely be experimenting with stuff this weekend. You should see the shopping list I have for Carl.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:52 PM
slave to the wind

Found this other stuff by Hangar 9 called Ultracote.

3 7/8" by 78" Their Chrome looks pretty good, and their Silver wasn't too bad either. A bit costlier (5.99) but I think there is more in the roll.

I'll give you an update on how well it works. I wish I hadn't bought two rolls of Chrome only. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I'll probably take one back and get another color.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:16 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Found this other stuff by Hangar 9 called Ultracote.

3 7/8" by 78" Their Chrome looks pretty good, and their Silver wasn't too bad either. A bit costlier (5.99) but I think there is more in the roll.

I'll give you an update on how well it works. I wish I hadn't bought two rolls of Chrome only. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I'll probably take one back and get another color.

Good luck with it. Let us know how it works out for you.
SAM# 0052