Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2009, 10:31 PM
rocket dinosaur

[QUOTE=mojo1986 Terry?

Joe[/QUOTE]

Joe, I'm clueless about anything GRIM. Although a reviwe of their ads thru google books/magazines hows ads for only a 3 month period of May, June, July 1968.

I would guess a reseller maybe. 67-69 was the transsition period from the Estes "original" motor rocket motors taht date from 1959 and thie new generation motors introduced in this 68-69 timeframe. Maybe thats what they mean by "new design".

Some Estes ads from this same time frame also say New Design.

terry dean
Old 01-20-2009, 07:24 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Yeah, Terry. That probably makes more sense. Also, I was off by 10 years..............I thought the original ad was from 1958, but nope..............1968.

Joe
Old 01-22-2009, 04:17 PM
rocket dinosaur

I did some digging around and found some pretty unique ads from the latr 50's early 60's.

The 1st Ad is From Model Missiles at their E.Cedar address which is the Keller home. This is where MMI moved to and was run out of the basement of the Keller home . Whats unique about this is ad is the Aerobee-Hi is available pre-assembled as "ready-to-fly".

The 2nd As are Central Rocket Company (Richard Goldsmith, a close Pyrotechnic friend ) selling not only Rock-A-Chute motors but MMI models too.

EDIT

For clarification I just want to say I knew that Central Rocket Co. resold Brown Manufactured Rock-A-Chute motors and I assume these were any leftover stock that Brown Manufacturing made for MMI, but were replaced in Jan 1959 by Vern Estes motors.

Whats interesting here is that I didn't know that CRC also sold MMI kits and parts and whats very interesting is that while CRC was selling Brown Manufactured Rock-A-Chutes, MMI was selling Estes produced motors labeled with the Rock-A-Chute name. Of course in circa 1960 CRC stopped selling Brown Manufactured Rock-A-Chutes and started selling Estes Industries motors. I attribute this to 2 reasons: the last of the Brown Manufactured motors were by then used up and 2. Estes motors were less expensive and more reliable.

The Game of Chinker-Chek

The following was pieced together from various newspaper articles recently received on the life of Lawrence W. Brown and his invention of Chinker-Chek.
Lawrence W. Brown of Brown manufacturing company, Clinton, Missouri, experimented with a variation of Chinese chess starting in 1935.
The game he came up with allowed one to six players to be involved. In 1937 sales of this new game were limited to the Midwest and western states.
At that time, Ohio was the furthest state to the East that was supplied.
The boards were manufactured by Brown manufacturing company while the marbles used on the boards came in 100 lb. cartons and by the car load from one of the marble companies in West Virginia.
At one point Brown manufacturing was turning out 4,000 Chinker-Chek boards a day. The game board was manufactured with a patent pending but they were unable to obtain a full patent, for some unstated reason.
When the 7 year patent pending period ran out, other toy companies began making the game. Chinker-Chek is more commonly known as Chinese checkers.
Mr. Brown was born in 1881, East of Clinton, Mo. and died tragically in a gas explosion at his factory on April 4, 1960I

The 3rd Ad is unknown.

The 4th is from a PopSci XMAs issue.

terry dean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  August 1961 Rocketry Ad2.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  13.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Dec 59 PopSci Central Rocket Model MIssile Ad.JPG
Views: 64
Size:  4.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Rocket Pland Jan 1959 Popular Maechanics.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  42.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  model missile Ad Nov 1959 PopMech.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  50.0 KB  

Last edited by shockwaveriderz : 01-23-2009 at 01:12 PM.