Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Craftsman

Smile Estes FIRING LINE set with Vampire!

My parents were out on one of their regular flea-market/antique-fair trips this week, so I asked them if they happened across a rocket launcher set for under $20 if they'd pick up one for me, so the ladies and I could launch our rockets ourselves.

So, this evening my dad gives me one he found for $20 - an Estes "Firing Line" set with an RTF called "Vampire". The kit seems to be in great shape. Well cared-for, missing only the blast deflector plate and some of the decals for the Vampire, and has only one rod element for the launch rod. The rocket even had a single unused engine & igniter loaded into it. It must have also had some sort of plastic overlay to hold all the pieces in the foam tray. I may just replace that, and transfer what I'll be using to a range box.

The Vampire does seem like it's been launched at least once or twice. When I pulled out the 'chute, a puff of old talcum powder fell out of it. Otherwise it's in great shape apart from the decals. The main body decal with it's cool 1970s graphic lines is missing, and the fin decals are oily from glue migration. I expect the decals were factory applied.

So,a couple of questions: Anyone know where I could get scans or repros of the Vampire's decals? Also, would this be considered a valuable set? I don't plan on selling it, but that may affect how I approach using it or restoring those portions that haven't aged well. Is it a common set? It does mention Damon on the box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Box Angle.JPG
Views: 229
Size:  109.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Vampire 1.JPG
Views: 172
Size:  136.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Vampire 2.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  114.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Box Side with Numbers.JPG