Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012, 07:50 PM
Craftsman

Send a message via ICQ to Swillie
Default Madcow Honest John...

I have ordered the Madcow Honest John 115 kit. I love the look of this rocket and found a good deal online so I pulled the trigger. This will be my first mid power kit and first fiberglass as well. Just wondering if anyone here on the forum has built this kit and could give me a heads up of anything I should do other than build it as per the instructions. I will need to get a motor retainer or make one for it. The aeropack looks nice, but is a bit pricey. Was thinking to build one with T-nuts as I have seen on here but no experience with that so any advice there would help.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Craftsman

for a 29mm motor you should only require one retaining clip (I've been using 'pannel clips') a pretty good read on making your own can be found here; http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=18733 hth
rex
Old 03-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Craftsman

I don't think you need a motor retainer. If I remember correctly, one comes in the kit.

I had zero problems with the build. The difficult part of the build was getting the details right. The Spin Rockets on the NC are very basic in shape so you have to sand to have them even come close to looking right. The kit provides launch lugs (1/4 in) so I recommend replacing them with buttons. Finally, the only other thing that comes to mind is you have to sand the inside of the NC to get the bulkhead to fit. Make sure you rough up the MM and the BT to accept the epoxy when you glue on the fins. The whole kit takes about 2 hrs. to build if you have all the tools...
TRA #11767
Level 1
Old 03-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo52
<snip> The kit provides launch lugs (1/4 in) so I recommend replacing them with buttons.<snip>

Assuming, of course, you have access to a rail launch system.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Craftsman

Wow, 2 hours.... i'm guess epoxy dries faster than elmers carpenter glue, lol. Well this will be a learning experience. I don't have access to a rail system per se. But I am afraid this rocket will never come home if I flew it at my local park. I was thinking I might bring it to a club launch, there are ones a little outside of Ann Arbor Michigan which is not too far a haul. My son asked me if we could go to one this year so this is my plan. Could I fly it with the standard 1/4 lugs there? I would figure so. I suppose rail buttons would be best, but than I would be limiting myself from ever flying it near home.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Craftsman

I would guess that most clubs would have one or more 1/4" rods availible...though it wouldn't hurt to contact them ahead of time.
glanced at the instructions. altough there is a line saying to use positive motor retenion...there is no mention of a motor retainer. I would gues that like the MC kits I've built, it is up to the builder to supply their own.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex R
I would guess that most clubs would have one or more 1/4" rods availible...though it wouldn't hurt to contact them ahead of time.
glanced at the instructions. altough there is a line saying to use positive motor retenion...there is no mention of a motor retainer. I would gues that like the MC kits I've built, it is up to the builder to supply their own.

This is what came in my kit:

http://www.madcowrocketry.com/servl...r-2924mm/Detail

I guess I got a bonus deal.....
TRA #11767
Level 1
Old 03-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Craftsman

Hey thanks for the info guys, i'll wait till the kit arrives and see what else is needed. Maybe I will put rail buttons on instead.... where would I go to order those? I would like to make one order , retainer, buttons, epoxy to keep shipping costs down. How much and where would I get a launch rail for personal use if I went with buttons?

Also did your kit come with just the single Honest John name decal like it shows?? If so I am going to order the Maxi Brute decals from Sandman.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:56 AM
Craftsman

your local hardware store or hobby shop should stock epoxy, I would suggest getting both 5 minute & 20-30 minute epoxies(if you have to pick only one, go with the longer cure). Madcow sells rail buttons; http://www.madcowrocketry.com/servl...ton-Pack/Detail as do appogee, Loc, and PML.
as for a rail pad...I would suggest DIY, they can be rather spendy(apogee lists them for $500, they also list the rail itself for $80). if you have a club near by contact them, they may be able to help you find/make one for a good deal less.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:39 AM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex R

My suggestion is go to Lowes and get a 4ft 1/4 rod of your own and take it with you, just to be sure. Just don't forget to go out to the range and get it when you leave!
Then, you'll have one when you want to launch it or any other mid-power rocket you may want to own.
1/4 inch rod is a good bit cheaper than a rail and the the buttons.

Have fun!

Allen