Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Master Modeler

Default Sport Rocketry/Camroc Articles

Not sure if this topic belongs to this category, but maybe it does. Just got my latest
Sport Rocketry this evening (I say that as I just checked today's mail around 9 PM tonight)
and was pleasantly surprised to see the magazine on the bottom of the small pile of mail.

The two articles on the Estes Camroc and its history is really fantastic! Not having bought
myself a Camroc while I had the chance (way back when) is something I've lived to really
regret. The Camroc w/Astron Delta combination was on my Christmas wish list for the end
of 1970 until the announcement of the Cineroc/Omega hit the latest catalog. My parents
got me the Cineroc instead. But reading those two articles on the Camroc sure made me
wish I'd at least gotten it before it went OOP.

Last edited by dwmzmm : 09-23-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:07 AM
GET GOONY!!

I agree Dave, When I finally saved enough and ordered a Camroc, ESTES sent my money back as it was out of production!

I have one now, but have no idea if I could actually use it these days....

Phred

GET GOONY!!

Last edited by excelsior_rocketry : 09-23-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsior_rocketry
I agree Dave, When I finally saved enough and ordereda Camroc, ESTES sent my money back as it was out of production!
While I appreciate the lament, y'all gotta admit that using one of those things is a royal PITA! Having to take the pic, then send it into Estes and wait weeks for a blurry, out-of-focus, black-white pic of your house is hardly worth the investment.

That said, it'd be way kewl to see a faux Camroc cone/rocket available that provided users cheap quality electronic pics (ie, think ~Aiptek). Actually, I guess Estes sorta already has the pics, but if they want to leverage those BAR emotions, they need to package it right ala Camroc/Delta.

Speaking of this, who all here has tried Carl's faux Cineroc cone?

I've still never gotten around to trying the CVS recorder. But I did recently talk to another DARS member who showed some great Aiptek video from his L3 bird. He got me convinced a new $120 Aiptek would be worth the investment. He didn't have to alter it at all. Its digital memory capacity is sufficient to record many minutes of wait time on the pad prior to launch plus more wait time until recovery. So no mod's or g-switch are needed. The only extra item needed was a memory card.

I know this is motion picture instead of stills ala Camroc, but either one sounds good to me

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 09-23-2008, 02:50 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
While I appreciate the lament, y'all gotta admit that using one of those things is a royal PITA! Having to take the pic, then send it into Estes and wait weeks for a blurry, out-of-focus, black-white pic of your house is hardly worth the investment.

*If* you even got a picture of your house!
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 09-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Craftsman

Mine took pretty good pictures even though they were black and white and I developed them myself. This is a little weathered after 30+ years. Looks better in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
*If* you even got a picture of your house!
Old 09-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race58
Mine took pretty good pictures even though they were black and white and I developed them myself. This is a little weathered after 30+ years. Looks better in person.

So, which is your house?
Old 09-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams

That said, it'd be way kewl to see a faux Camroc cone/rocket available that provided users cheap quality electronic pics (ie, think ~Aiptek). Actually, I guess Estes sorta already has the pics, but if they want to leverage those BAR emotions, they need to package it right ala Camroc/Delta.

Speaking of this, who all here has tried Carl's faux Cineroc cone?

I've still never gotten around to trying the CVS recorder. But I did recently talk to another DARS member who showed some great Aiptek video from his L3 bird. He got me convinced a new $120 Aiptek would be worth the investment. He didn't have to alter it at all. Its digital memory capacity is sufficient to record many minutes of wait time on the pad prior to launch plus more wait time until recovery. So no mod's or g-switch are needed. The only extra item needed was a memory card.

I know this is motion picture instead of stills ala Camroc, but either one sounds good to me

Doug

That's pretty much the sentiments I had with the Cineroc/Omega. Out of the number of
times I flew them, and mailed the exposed film to Estes (and, later, to the late Herb Desind)
only to find that less than half of the exposed film had anything worth viewing. The only
two Cineroc's I've ever owned both crashed, but I have enough parts from each collected
that, should I ever get around to it, can be used to build a "new" Cineroc (and I still have
one "fresh" 8 mm film flight pack in my inventory - where I got it from is another story).
Old 09-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race58

Really cool pics!!
Old 09-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Craftsman

Not mine. Just some apartment buildings and houses next to a city park in Chicago.
I lived a few blocks away from there then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
So, which is your house?
Old 09-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Craftsman

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Really cool pics!!