Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWmarlow
Nice Job on it...love the choice of model...not everybody has one of those!

I echo those sentiments. I like the almost straight-out old timey fins. Nice looking model.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Master Modeler

Here we go:

NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 03-19-2012, 11:27 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I actually took pictures last night, and even stuck them on my computer, but got ticked off at the "Attachments" thingie.

I'll load them on Flickr tonight, and link to them.

Oregon is getting hit by bands of crappy weather -- it was snowing this morning -- otherwise I'd be tempted to hit the Micro, Penetrator, Viking I and Viking II I'd built with a starter coat of primer.

Hmmm. What I could do this week is glue the tube fins on the Viking III. I lost steam on the project before that step.

I repaired the fins on the Viking VI last week, then wimped out on the launch Saturday because the weather spooked me. (When did I suddenly become a pansy? I guess the idea of three hours of travel with gas at $4 a gallon had something to do with it.) I'm regretting using 1/16" basswood for the strakes and finlets. I think I'm going to wind up repairing them a lot due to landing problems, but hopefully we'll see on the 31st. Other than that, the Viking IV upscale is the only one I have to finish. I decided against the nose cone that I'd chosen and need to get back with the Semroc web catalog to pick another one. The Viking III, which is the closest thing I have to a straight Viking build, needs only the recovery system attached to be flight ready. That one might be a candidate for B6-4 Field this coming weekend.
Although the weather isn't looking like it will allow that to happen.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 03-19-2012, 11:29 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Here we go:

This is a 24mm, right? Ours should be very close in size. Mine has an 18mm motor mount. I'm thinking that I'll make another one with just an engine block so it's more along the line of what the FSI people had in mind for their birds.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 03-19-2012, 11:42 PM
Master Modeler

Yup, 24mm tube.

There's a 18mm mount tube permanently mounted in my Micron. Even a C will probably give it more of a ride than I'd be comfortable with.

I've flown my slightly upscale Viking II on D and E motors, and my original Viking II with an E5. The Zoom factor is very high; you need a nice big field and good weather to have any hope of getting the models back.

My current crop of clones will be small-field flyers.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 03-19-2012, 11:50 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Yup, 24mm tube.

There's a 18mm mount tube permanently mounted in my Micron. Even a C will probably give it more of a ride than I'd be comfortable with.

I've flown my slightly upscale Viking II on D and E motors, and my original Viking II with an E5. The Zoom factor is very high; you need a nice big field and good weather to have any hope of getting the models back.

That's the three hour drive field. Plenty big enough for D and E flights, especially with the upscaling I've been doing factored in. The two minute drive field will be the home for my current Micron. If the weather works in my favor and the baseball teams aren't practicing, I might sneak up for a Micron/Spin Fin launch on Wednesday.

I miss being SAM 0058