Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2006, 08:12 PM
BP Mafia

Default Estes Interceptor?

In my continuing quest to rid myself of backlogged projects, I'm going to finish the Interceptor that I started back in the 2002-03 era. I've got a Moldin' Oldies cone set all ready to go, and the basswood fins have been in a folder seemingly forever. The thing I've always wondered about was the attachment of the pods. Those of you who've tackled this project before, did you paint the pods before you installed them or after?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 04-04-2006, 10:30 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
In my continuing quest to rid myself of backlogged projects, I'm going to finish the Interceptor that I started back in the 2002-03 era. I've got a Moldin' Oldies cone set all ready to go, and the basswood fins have been in a folder seemingly forever. The thing I've always wondered about was the attachment of the pods. Those of you who've tackled this project before, did you paint the pods before you installed them or after?

After. Use some 1/8" masking tape and it will work OK.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:19 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:

Does that mean you keep instructions and flat parts in folders until you need them? Sounds like a great idea!
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 04-05-2006, 01:14 PM
German Model Rocket Builder

Talking

Building step pictures pictures pictures please

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 04-05-2006, 02:34 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
Does that mean you keep instructions and flat parts in folders until you need them? Sounds like a great idea!

Yeah. Dumb luck. I used to cut a lot of parts out at work while I was babysitting a printer. Inter-office envelopes were the easiest way to keep everything from getting mixed together. I still have basswood fins cut out for probably 20 projects.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 04-05-2006, 02:35 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
Building step pictures pictures pictures please

Anything for you, Leo.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 04-06-2006, 08:11 AM
BAR

Quote:

No fair, I was going to build K50 clone next! When I built my first one 30 years ago, I painted everything after. No masking tape either This time, I'll glue, then mask & paint. Is epoxy the glue of choice for the pods?

-Paul
Old 04-06-2006, 08:32 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
No fair, I was going to build K50 clone next! When I built my first one 30 years ago, I painted everything after. No masking tape either This time, I'll glue, then mask & paint. Is epoxy the glue of choice for the pods?

-Paul

I don't think I have a choice. They're resin.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 04-22-2006, 11:33 PM
Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Painted the pods after epoxying them on, but I did mask them off before spraying the rest of the rocket white so I didn't build up more weight on them. After, I used thin strips of masking tape on the wing edges and regular masking tape and paper over everything before spraying the pods with Testor's orange. Decals are from Excelsior.
Drew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  137_3773_1.JPG
Views: 193
Size:  399.5 KB  
Old 04-23-2006, 01:33 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtomko
Painted the pods after epoxying them on, but I did mask them off before spraying the rest of the rocket white so I didn't build up more weight on them. After, I used thin strips of masking tape on the wing edges and regular masking tape and paper over everything before spraying the pods with Testor's orange. Decals are from Excelsior.
Drew

That's a beautiful bird you built there Drew!

(I fixed up the picture a bit)

With special thanks to Mike at Moldin' Oldies I'll be building the same this summer. Can't wait

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino