Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2010, 05:51 PM
"now where did THAT one go??"

Question Need my nerd-level gauged

All,
I've finally built my storage system in my garage to display and protect my rockets. Nothing fancy, but each is stored vertically to minimize droop damage and bumps, and most of all, it has (a little!) room to grow. Because each peg is spaced to allow maximum density, it's important that each rocket ends up back where it started, so I kicked-up my nerdiness and made labels for each position.
I'm worried I'm getting carried away, so I'm hoping to get a "cool" or "fool" rating for the following:
I've created a database in MS Access to keep record of my flights, performance, etc, but it's pretty clunky (i'm not a programmer). While I was tacking up the name tags I thought I could go true-retro and institute "flight cards" for each bird. The shelving system would make it easy enough to do, but I'm concerned I'm going too far. Is that cool or am I a fool?

By "Flight Card" I'm referring to the kind outlined in Stine's bible, other recommendation for data appreciated!
Old 09-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopirV
All,
I've finally built my storage system in my garage to display and protect my rockets. Nothing fancy, but each is stored vertically to minimize droop damage and bumps, and most of all, it has (a little!) room to grow. Because each peg is spaced to allow maximum density, it's important that each rocket ends up back where it started, so I kicked-up my nerdiness and made labels for each position.
I'm worried I'm getting carried away, so I'm hoping to get a "cool" or "fool" rating for the following:
I've created a database in MS Access to keep record of my flights, performance, etc, but it's pretty clunky (i'm not a programmer). While I was tacking up the name tags I thought I could go true-retro and institute "flight cards" for each bird. The shelving system would make it easy enough to do, but I'm concerned I'm going too far. Is that cool or am I a fool?

By "Flight Card" I'm referring to the kind outlined in Stine's bible, other recommendation for data appreciated!
A storage system is good, and necessary. No guilt there.

A database is good, and can be handy when you're prepping a rocket to fly and want to know how it performed last time out or what chute or motor you used, or if you had to add extra noseweight, etc. But entering the data and maintaining the database can be a PITA.

Logging your flights - including motors/delays, recovery setups and other details such as wind, etc - in a simple spiral binder can be just as effective. I frequently look back at my notes to see what chute/streamer I used and what motor/delay, and then change things accordingly if the last combo was logged as ill fitting.

So, no, you're not a fool. But try not to get too carried away lest you should burn yourself out. It's a hobby, not a hobbsession

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 09-05-2010, 06:40 PM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Personally, I think organization increases efficiency. I do have flight cards for each rocket I plan to fly made up ahead of time. That's because I am usually very busy with rocket prep, child wrangling, watching launches, retrieving rockets, more child wrangling, more rocket prep, etc. Sometimes it takes everything I have to stay focused. I have to be as prepared as I can be to get everything in the air I want to fly.

But I don't want to be OCD. I try to keep things as organized as practical, and still have fun.

Greg
Old 09-05-2010, 07:29 PM
BAR 13790

I use an Excel data base to keep track of my rockets.

I have one tab for my completed rockets, where I keep track of the year it was built and how many flights.
Another tab tracks my kits to minimize duplication and which storage bin they are in (I'm up to 8 and need another).
A third tab has a flight "card" that can support 9 flights. I fill this out by hand at the field and save them in a binder. I do not log that data into the data base - too lazy

Les