Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2006, 12:35 AM
BP Mafia

Default New life into an old project

Many moons ago, when I was in my BAR infancy, I was inspired to build an upscale of a rocket that I found on JimZ's site. (Okay, so that happened a lot, but this was a particular incident with a particular rocket.) Fascinated as I had been by the Estes Condor, I was doubly taken with the Space Twins, one of the Estes Design Of The Month plans.
http://www.dars.org/jimz/eirp_41.htm
Having armed myself with a selection of tubes and cones from Hobbylinc and Apogee, I worked out a slightly off scale plan that used a length of BT-56 for the booster and BT-50's for the gliders. The booster used one of the PNC-56 cones that seemed to be everywhere at the time, while the gliders used two of the feather-light PNC-50 cones from an Apogee nose cone/tube/ring bonanza. The gliders were carefully upscaled and the test flights showed it. The test glides from the front porch were amazing. Perfectly straight and showing very little tendency to lose altitude. I was really pumped and couldn't wait for the first flight.
Well, the first flight pretty much "underwhelmed". I used a C5-3 because I found a stash of them marked down. Both gliders ripped off at boost and circled overhead as the now completely unstable booster section attempted to leave me a message in the sky. Both gliders had torn free of the mounting dowels, so I figured that the white glue I used was too weak. I rebuilt the mounting using epoxy and ran into the same problem on the second flight. Disgusted, I tossed the booster into my failure pile and occasionally pressed the gliders into service as pinch hitters for the glider on my Condor upscale.
Tonight when I was hunting up the decals for the Shrox Icarus, I ran across the booster section and, for a laugh, looked up the flight logs on EMRR. When I realized that I had used the high-thrust C5-3, I began to wonder if things would have gone differently with a B4, B6, or C6 in the booster. All it would take to find out is a cleaning and repair of the booster and the mounting points, and new dowels for the gliders. Our next club launch is 4-22/23, which gives me over a week to get things ready. One way or another, I'll have some pictures soon. (Either rebuild/flight or rebuild/failure/permanent retirement pics. )

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 04-13-2006, 07:23 PM
BP Mafia

Pics as promised. Nothing that really lets you get an idea of the scale, but the project was a 1.8x upscale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Big ol' Space Twins.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  302.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Space Twins side view.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  316.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Space Twins dusty detail.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  290.4 KB  

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 04-13-2006, 08:45 PM
Craftsman

Have you thought of incorporating those b/g pop-pod things that are cast in resin and sold thru Apogee?
A longer booster core tube couldn't hurt the boost phase stability.