Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2007, 03:12 PM
the middle-aged rocketeer

I don't think I'd risk an original! I built a clone out of quest parts,using a plastic nose and coupler. I put in the short payload section for the old NAR payload just for sentimental reasons. This time I painted it red like the original model, as I recall it was originally made from series 8 tube, but it could have been BT 40 even. My clone flies almost out of sight on a B-motor.I'll have to ask Bryant about kitting up a clone of it, I only see him once a year or so.

In the meantime I'm going to build a vulcan
Old 03-22-2007, 07:39 AM
Member in Good Standing!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbectec
I don't think I'd risk an original! I built a clone out of quest parts,using a plastic nose and coupler. I put in the short payload section for the old NAR payload just for sentimental reasons. This time I painted it red like the original model, as I recall it was originally made from series 8 tube, but it could have been BT 40 even. My clone flies almost out of sight on a B-motor.I'll have to ask Bryant about kitting up a clone of it, I only see him once a year or so.

In the meantime I'm going to build a vulcan

Oh, haha, I don't have any more Tempest Fugits. I build, not collect (unfortunately). If your buddy Bryant kits up, let me know, I'd buy a few. Those SAI kits were nice.
Speaking of BT40 tube, I don't know if they were that big in dia.. maybe old style BT30? I do recall the nose cones were really nice, like the FSI hardwoods, and the balsa was top notch.

The Vulcan was a good flyer on any motor I put in it at the time. Got good air and rarely coned or tail wagged.

SEMROC should look into this model, as well as the FSI Viking series. Team up with Sandman for some hardwood nose cones and ,Viola!, some hot kits. I know wishful thinking, but I have to find the plans an clone an SAI Vulcan.

Jack