Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2007, 12:08 AM
Re-BAR

Default Estes 2235 Power Plex Launch Pad

Hi guys, first post! Been out of model rocketry for several years due to work commitments, have more time now.

Like many of you I suppose, I have quite a lot of "vintage" stuff because I'm an old fart. Since I don't really have anybody interested enough to pass my goodies on to, I have started opening up the packages of stuff I was "saving" for a worthy. I mean the money is long spent, so the stuff is now FREE...or something like that!

So I broke out the pad, it looked "better" than the Mantis one I used. The package artwork shows two different color versions of the pad. Mine is the black/yellow only one. It has the string-thing that holds the legs steadier (??) that isn't shown. It is also ~36" diagonally across the legs, not the 40" mentioned. And it did NOT come with a stainless steel parabolic blast deflector, just a flat piece of cheap galvanized steel. Is that how they all came? (Not that I expect a refund after this time!) I put it together, and put a bunch of extra rubber in the "ball" to hold it more firmly in position. Put 20lbs of weight on it and it didn't collapse, that's waaaay heavier than any of my rockets. Seems OK that way. Changed the rod to 2-piece 1/4"x5'. What I'm concerned about is the deflector: it doesn't quite cover all the plastic. For those who have used this pad, is the supplied flat deflector good enough, or should I look for something bigger to totally cover the plastic (the plastic seems "soft")? And also not pictured in the artwork are some holes in the plastic that holds the tops of the legs, I'm wondering what they're meant for. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:37 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigF
So I broke out the pad, it looked "better" than the Mantis one I used. The package artwork shows two different color versions of the pad. Mine is the black/yellow only one. It has the string-thing that holds the legs steadier (??) that isn't shown. It is also ~36" diagonally across the legs, not the 40" mentioned. And it did NOT come with a stainless steel parabolic blast deflector, just a flat piece of cheap galvanized steel. Is that how they all came? (Not that I expect a refund after this time!) I put it together, and put a bunch of extra rubber in the "ball" to hold it more firmly in position. Put 20lbs of weight on it and it didn't collapse, that's waaaay heavier than any of my rockets. Seems OK that way. Changed the rod to 2-piece 1/4"x5'. What I'm concerned about is the deflector: it doesn't quite cover all the plastic. For those who have used this pad, is the supplied flat deflector good enough, or should I look for something bigger to totally cover the plastic (the plastic seems "soft")? And also not pictured in the artwork are some holes in the plastic that holds the tops of the legs, I'm wondering what they're meant for. Thanks.

Personally, I like the Mantis better.

Okay, okay. I used to work for Enertek where the Mantis was designed and later for AeroTech which put the Mantis into production.

I have a Power-Plex pad. I am only aware of the black/yellow color.

The 'string-thing' was added when Estes discovered that the production version of the pad was not as stable as they had expected. If the legs had locked in place that problem would have been solved.

I think my Pad did include the parabolic blast deflector. I don't remember it being flat.

I've never used my pad for rocket flying. My trusty Mantis just keeps on going.

Bob
Old 09-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Re-BAR

Thanks for your comments. You really think the Mantis is better? I of course don't know yet. My Mantis has stood up fine, though it looks more delicate than the Power Plex. I would likely use the PP staked. It is pretty solid with the extra rubber in the ball (I used that "tacky" rubber tool box liner stuff). Anyway, sure beats the little Estes one. As far as blast deflector, I think I will sacrifice a SS pet food bowl, or the lid of a mini wok. Unless one of my neighbors has a low-mounted sat dish...
Old 09-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Master Modeler

I have a power plex, and my blast deflector was flat.

With the strings, a pain to transport. I guess that is why it's not around anymore, also, the Pro lines was discontinued for which the pad was designed for.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:16 PM
Re-BAR

Got to try the PP pad today. Planned to stake it out, otherwise IMO it wouldn't be that sturdy on uneven ground. But...the way the instructions (explicitly) have you install the feet, it's impossible to hammer the stakes in. Pretty stupid design, but then I didn't think of that before I left home either... Also, it's very difficult to take the feet off and reverse them. I may try again later, but afraid I'll break the feet, they were hard to put on too. So, I'm pretty sure this pad would be unsuitable for anything more than an E, which is what it's designed for I guess...

Used the Mantis, which I had done some mods on. Never liked the Mantis much, to me it looks like it was purposely designed to break, form over function, the obvious stress points also had thinner/weaker plastic etc. But it does have some decent features. I beefed it up and also made it much more convenient for me to use (esp. changing rod size). My launch battery is in a "cradle" I arranged years ago that holds the pad down somewhat (battery must weigh around 10lbs I'd guess) so I don't really have to stake it. It is fine for up to G64 so far.

As was said, yeah, I guess the Mantis is the better/more versatile pad now. Should have done those little mods years ago. It's not very heavy either and pretty easy to carry around.