Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2008, 09:25 AM
MMXCVII

Default old Czech motor static test

Here's a video of a Czech motor that I static fired last week. I bought it at the NARAM 50 auction.

It's supposed to be an A but, as you can see from the curve, it tested as a B. You can see from the video that the ejection fired part way through the delay. I don't think it aged well over 27 years.

I had a Russian motor that I wanted to fire but I decided it might be better to wait until I could do it outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  czech.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  42.9 KB  
Old 11-26-2008, 10:49 AM
rocket dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousah
Some of the A motors ordered by our US Team for delivery in Spain also tested higher than the rated impulse. Seems to be by design

and then they told you to go "cool them down" by sticking them in the refrigerator for a while so their performance specs would be A class and you could then use them in the competition.

Now of course by the time they was used, their performance specs were again back above the A class limit, but since they had been tested and impounded while cool , this was completely legal and ethical in their eyes.

It makes one wonder how long this deceptive practice has been going on in FAI competition. Seems to be by design ? eh?

just my 2 cents YMMV

ps by the way Bill. maybe that Czech motor just aged like good wine and got better with time huh?

terry dean
Old 11-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Dazed and Confused

That's no different from boxers gaining and losing weight for a particular weight division. Sometimes taking diuretics to make weight. .....or the racing world using special qualifying tires, then using completely different tires for the race. ...or women wearing makeup and being good until you marry them. ....or
Old 11-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Sprinkle Balsa Dust on my Cherios

Question for Bill Spad. and others:
With the Old Motor Program information, has there been any data collected on forein made motors. Also if they age as well as domestic motors seem to?
Just curious.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:47 PM
rocket dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod lincoln
Question for Bill Spad. and others:
With the Old Motor Program information, has there been any data collected on forein made motors. Also if they age as well as domestic motors seem to?
Just curious.

hotrod:

Trip Barber collected some info on various Foreign motors back in 1978 or thereabouts.

Trip says the curent czech delta motors conatin AP/Butyl Rubber.

If they were made from Bp and stored as they should be, I would make a SWAG that they would age like our BP motors. Back in the 60's the Czech ADAST motors were nicknamed "widowmakers" because of their tendency to explode.... they contained all sort of exotic ingredients: AP, nitrocellulose, picric acid,etc etc

I personally don't know if modern APCP have any temperature or humidity related cycling problems like BP does.

terry dean
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Foreign Model Rocket Motors 1978.pdf (462.5 KB, 98 views)
Old 11-26-2008, 12:50 PM
rocket dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
That's no different from boxers gaining and losing weight for a particular weight division. Sometimes taking diuretics to make weight. .....or the racing world using special qualifying tires, then using completely different tires for the race. ...or women wearing makeup and being good until you marry them. ....or

just plain cheating?

by your reckining, it would be okay fro me to use humidity and temperature to modify the performance specs of my Estes BP motors for use in NAR competition. Now of course cghanging or modifying the perormance specs of motors used in NAR competition is against not only the NAR MRSC but NFPA regulations too. But how would anybody know I had done such "modifications".....

terry dean
Old 11-27-2008, 09:34 PM
MMXCVII

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
hotrod:

Trip Barber collected some info on various Foreign motors back in 1978 or thereabouts.

In that article he mentions that the casing gets hot and he wasn't kidding. And it stayed hot for a long time.
Quote:
Trip says the curent czech delta motors conatin AP/Butyl Rubber.

I heard that these a made similar to black powder motors with a mixture of the two components rammed into the casing.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:50 PM
I wish I was a spaceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspad

I heard that these a made similar to black powder motors with a mixture of the two components rammed into the casing.

Estes has also considered making composite motors that way
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph...+AND+propellant

You Can't break the laws of physics but they can break you. Christine McKinley

Dale Greene

Mentor, Penn Manor Rocket Club

VISIT SPAAR
2010 Calder Cup
The Old West
2009 Calder Cup

" Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act. " George Orwell
Old 11-28-2008, 12:42 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
just plain cheating?

by your reckining, it would be okay fro me to use humidity and temperature to modify the performance specs of my Estes BP motors for use in NAR competition. Now of course cghanging or modifying the perormance specs of motors used in NAR competition is against not only the NAR MRSC but NFPA regulations too. But how would anybody know I had done such "modifications".....

terry dean

No, by my reckoning it happens just about everywhere in just about every situation where there is competition...whether it's sports, jobs, or just plain old life. I'm not picking a side of the fence.