Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Member in Good Standing!

Arrow Dyna Soar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
The cost of the kit might put many off.

This may be be true, Carl, but like the Estes "Space Plane," this is another piece of history. But as some of history is lost, this glider was never recognized, and never kitted, and therefore pretty much "lost." Has anyone noticed that, there in print, near the payload section ,there is a statement that says, in part, "may be used for R/C?"

YORF has the only pic of this I have seen of this bird. One other pic may be in existence, and that is the one I sent to The old Model Rocket magazine, in 1971/72. It shows the glider at liftoff, 3/4 the way up a "C"rail. I built it for the Cumberland Composite Sq, of the CAP here in N.J.

I kept a close eye out, they just put out the plans. If they ever kitted in limited run, I never heard a whisper.

I hope to see this bird built, both in full scale, and the half scale, shown in the plans. This bird will present some challenges.

Jack
Old 11-18-2007, 03:10 PM
rocket dinosaur

Red face

Jack:
the coaster DynaSoar Centauri was kitted and sold by Coaster Corp. Theres a pici of Jimmy Jackson holding one at NARAM-4 I beleive in the 65 edition of THMR. There are also a pic or two in some of the Am magazines that I have. Will have to look them up. I also have a few Coaster Ads from back in the day showing the Dynasoar for sale. Also at Ye Old Rocket shoppe there is some Coaster info which I am attaching just the photos. These 2 photos were taken at NARAM-4 in August 1962.

As far as the RC Goes this from the 9/62 Am:

Tim Kendall of Phoenix, AZ builds Coaster-powered R/C R/G; not sure if this means he built the Dynasoar with Rc or another scratch RC RG.

the 11/62 Am states;

.Menford Sutton flies Coaster Space Probe on demo flight at Lackland AFB, TX; he also flies Coaster Centauri B/G in a demo flight. This actually occured earlier in the summer of 62 at Lackland AFB in Texas.

terry dean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  JImmy Jackson Dynasoar.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  197.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  JJ Dyanasoar 2.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  257.6 KB  
Old 11-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Member in Good Standing!

Arrow Thanks for photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
Jack:
the coaster DynaSoar Centauri was kitted and sold by Coaster Corp. Theres a pici of Jimmy Jackson holding one at NARAM-4 I beleive in the 65 edition of THMR. There are also a pic or two in some of the Am magazines that I have. Will have to look them up. I also have a few Coaster Ads from back in the day showing the Dynasoar for sale. Also at Ye Old Rocket shoppe there is some Coaster info which I am attaching just the photos. These 2 photos were taken at NARAM-4 in August 1962.

As far as the RC Goes this from the 9/62 Am:

Tim Kendall of Phoenix, AZ builds Coaster-powered R/C R/G; not sure if this means he built the Dynasoar with Rc or another scratch RC RG.

the 11/62 Am states;

.Menford Sutton flies Coaster Space Probe on demo flight at Lackland AFB, TX; he also flies Coaster Centauri B/G in a demo flight. This actually occured earlier in the summer of 62 at Lackland AFB in Texas.

terry dean

Terry,

The second photo is the one I recall seeing. My memory must be failing as I bought the plans, but don't remember a kit. I really can't recall how I got the components Thanks for digging up the photos!

Would be nice to know if it was the Coaster R/G.

(note to Don, can't open Tifs)

Jack
Old 11-18-2007, 04:05 PM
rocket dinosaur

Red face

jack:
you are probably correct then. I just assumed it was kitted; maybe all they did was sell the plans, and built a mock up for show and tell and ad purposes. Here's that Coaster Ad from 5/61 AM. No Dynasoar. My memory must be going faster than I care to think.

yes, that 2nd pic is also in the 65 THMR .

terry dean
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Coaster_Ad__5_61.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  88.1 KB  

Last edited by shockwaveriderz : 11-18-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

I vaguely remember getting the catalog and sending to Texas for some of the long burn motors.

At the time everything was priced out of my league but I do remember seeing the Dynasoar in the catalog and it looked huge!

Does anyone have any more pics from the catalogue?

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 11-18-2007, 05:13 PM
rocket dinosaur

Red face

here ya go Jack!

This is an Ad from the 8/62 Am magazine. Check out the paint job. Notice the RC blurb?

enjoy

terry dean

ps sandman: I don't know anybody that has a 62 Coaster catalog . Anybody?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Coaster Ad 8-62 AM.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  98.4 KB  
Old 11-18-2007, 06:48 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
The main wings are 1/4" balsa, which we have not been able to cut reliably with the laser. The cost of the kit might put many off.

Carl,

You thought the Saturn 1B would be too pricey for folks...

You said the Arcas was your most expensive kit yet and were afraid it wouldn't sell well but they were all sold at NARAM-49...

Just kit it and people will buy it (Like me)!

Bob
Old 11-18-2007, 07:15 PM
7/21/61

Being far far younger than most of you , I don't recall this model from my youth. In looking at the plans am I correct in thinking it spit that big Coaster motor in order to go into glide mode? And you had to glue a lug to each motor before flight?

I'm also surprised that with wings that large no diagram of the build-up pieces is included in the plans.

As for laser cutting the wings, Carl, the hinge assembly and control lock assembly are for only very experienced builders, so paper templates of the wings should suffice for folks of that skill level.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Member in Good Standing!

Thumbs up Ok!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
here ya go Jack!

This is an Ad from the 8/62 Am magazine. Check out the paint job. Notice the RC blurb?

enjoy

terry dean

ps sandman: I don't know anybody that has a 62 Coaster catalog . Anybody?

Terry,

Memory jog. There was no kit, I'm betting a PB&J on it, or an Estes "Ninja" kit, the 13mm OOP kind Just plans. That is the ad I saw while in H.S. and bought the plans to build. Plans cost me a whole $2.00. I had to buy the components.

Gus,

Yes, it did spit out that big motor. A real head-bonker. You could rig a streamer to the motor, there was room to put the streamer in first, then the motor. Ejection always caused some damage to the streamer.

Jack

Yes again, to the lug statement. The 1/4" fins were cut straight from balsa stock back then. You could get wide widths. I did not look at the plans again before iIsent them to Don, so I don't recall the thickness of the rear fins. (I can't open tif. files. )

Last edited by Rocketflyer : 11-18-2007 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Add to
Old 11-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketflyer
.......(note to Don, can't open Tifs)

Jack

Jack,

Usually, you have to save the tif files to your computer before you can open them....at least I do......