Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Question Rocket powered flying wing glider.....

Hello out there,
I am new to this forum and was wondering if anyone can remember a rocket powered flying wing glider which was for sale a few years ago. It was powered by a G engine I believe. It had two elivons. I can’t remember if it was a kit or plans. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Sounds like the Aerotech Phoenix. I don't believe they make it anymore.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Knuckle Draggin' Engineer

Doug Holverson used to make one that flew on 13 mm 1/2 A engines. Flew pretty good on 1/2A3's and I just had to put an A10 in it. Two loops and CRASH under power. The Holy Family 6th graders loved it and asked me to do it again. I politely told them I did not do that on purpose, and it was too expensive and dangerous to make it a habit.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Administrator

My bad. I was keying on the G power.

I think there was a Zagi RC RG a few yeats back. Not sure if it was G powered though.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Dazed and Confused

The rocket powered Zagi flying wing was a conversion done by George Gassaway and flown on composite F12 and G13 motors from the Aerotech Phoenix. I don't think Zagi ever offered the kit as a rocket boosted glider. The Zagi is a foam wing. I've got a Zagi, but it's electric powered.

There was a smaller wing called the Klingberg Flying Wing that was designed for Estes motors. This wing was "stick built" using balsa ribs, spars, etc. I have one still in the box.

North Coast Rocketry had a glider that resembled the Space Shuttle, also made of foam. I have one that I found next to free, but I've never gotten around to building it.

The Aerotech Phoenix mentioned above was more or less a normal winged glider powered by a special 32mm reloadable motor.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
There was a smaller wing called the Klingberg Flying Wing that was designed for Estes motors. This wing was "stick built" using balsa ribs, spars, etc. I have one still in the box.

Thank you tbzep, you hit it on the nose. That is so cool. I want to thank everyone else for their input. I knew I would recognize it if I saw the name again. tbzep, you say you have one in the box? Are you interested in selling it perhaps? There were two models I believe. Is your version the larger model?

Thank you.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxifera

Thank you tbzep, you hit it on the nose. That is so cool. I want to thank everyone else for their input. I knew I would recognize it if I saw the name again. tbzep, you say you have one in the box? Are you interested in selling it perhaps? There were two models I believe. Is your version the larger model?

Thank you.

I plan to eventually build it. I have several hobbies that are dormant right now, but I eventually roll around to them again one or two at a time. That way I never burn out with a hobby and everything stays fresh to me. I never completely stop fooling with rockets or motorcycles, though. I imagine I will get back to building and flying R/C again in the next year or two and at that point, I'll build the wing.

It has a wingspan of 51.5 inches and wing area of 373 sq. in. I looked at the instuctions again to make sure. It was designed for the D11-P and old E15-P from Estes, but it says it should fly on Aerotech E11 and E6 reloads. I doubt you can find them anymore.

As for there being two Klingberg models, Klingberg had a few other flying wings but I think this one (called the"Klingberg Rocket Wing") is the only one designed for rocket boost.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:56 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking "Don't try this at home, kids!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I have several hobbies that are dormant right now, but I eventually roll around to them again one or two at a time. That way I never burn out with a hobby and everything stays fresh to me. I never completely stop fooling with rockets or motorcycles, though.

Tim,

As a word of caution, I *wouldn't* recommend mixing those last two.

I offer the following date -- September 8, 1974 -- and two words to put it all into perspective.

"Evel Knievel."

Cheers,

--Jay
Old 07-06-2005, 12:01 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Tim,

As a word of caution, I *wouldn't* recommend mixing those last two.

I offer the following date -- September 8, 1974 -- and two words to put it all into perspective.

"Evel Knievel."

Cheers,

--Jay

Is "Knievel" really a word?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 07-06-2005, 12:11 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Is "Knievel" really a word?
It's his actual last name, apparently. Although Robert Knievel's nickname was *originally* spelled "Evil," due to his rough and rowdy hell-raising ways in his home state of Montana.

No, *really.*

--Jay