Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2018, 02:49 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Not that it makes any difference but I believe it is Mario Perdue that is maintaining those sites now. He was an active member here but hasn't been on in over a year. MPerdue is his handle.

Mark Mayfield is the person that owned Launch Magazine. He hasn't been on here since '09 but his handle is msm0202.

Mayfield is the one tweeting (msm0202). Mario may be the one doing Facebook.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:02 AM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Wow, how many are still PO'ed at George Flynn for when Model Rocketry Magazine went bankrupt, and they had subscriptions to it?

Anyone who thinks that a magazine of the quality of LAUNCH was funded solely by the subscriptions is out of their minds. It was more of a personal project of love by Mark Mayfield, using profits from other magazine publishing to help make it go. When Wall Street took a dive, it inevitably took his publishing company with it, like so many other businesses that folded or nearly so.

Yeah, forget great article like this one interviewng Vern and Gleda Estes:

http://vernestes.com/images/LAUNCH%...20150%20ppi.pdf

And tis one interviewing Bill Simon of Estes (designer of some great classic kits, including my top favorite, the Interceptor).

http://vernestes.com/images/LAUNCH%...-Correccted.pdf

Rather than appreciate what a great thing it was while it existed, some would rather piss all over it.

So, CONGRATS on driving away from this forum, anyone associated with that magazine.

YORF is so much richer and informative, and has a better reputation for your efforts, isn't it? Actually, no.

- George Gassaway
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer
Old 01-17-2018, 09:36 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
Rather than appreciate what a great thing it was while it existed, some would rather piss all over it.
- George Gassaway
You resemble that remark.
I think it is wise and true to simply be amazed and appreciative of any product or service provided to such a small niche industry as model rocketry. Keep in mind model rocketry has facilitated millions of kids to aspire to higher education and the fields of math, science, ballistics, pyrotechnics, and crafts. It provides inspiration and motivation, feelings that are later applied to totally unrelated fields and endeavours.

All who promote model rocketry are to be respected and honored.

Yes even you George.

Jerry

Still on the fence on GH.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:49 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Anyone who thinks that a magazine of the quality of LAUNCH was funded solely by the subscriptions is out of their minds.

You answered your own question, smarty. The publisher knew it was going to crash, yet still allowed people to throw $100+ away, which you admit would do nothing to help the magazine.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:44 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:

I can understand and agree with your "fraternal admonition" to not continue to cry over old things that no one can do anything about anymore. Water under the bridge, so to speak.....

But are you also suggesting that when people loose money to a rocketry vendor, that it is all for the greater good? This sort of thing should be tolerated? I recall you getting quite vocal over the business practices of Red Arrow Hobby and the RMR t-shirt fiasco. How does getting ripped off by Launch magazine serve the greater good more than getting ripped off by any other rocketry vendor?
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 01-17-2018, 11:50 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Luke,

The magnitude of your continued suffering has cut me to the core. Exactly how much did you lose on that subscription?

Steve

We've been over this before. You're an apologist for them. Whatever, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it, but they STOLE from me, and many other people.

That is a FACT...

Just how much does it have to be before it's WRONG?? How bout you answer that question and then I'll answer yours.

The fact that you continue to stick up for people who DELIBERATELY STOLE FROM OTHERS tells me all I need to know about your character as well.

Later! OL J R
Old 01-17-2018, 11:56 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
It was the principle of the matter. They knew they were going down yet accepted subscriptions until the last second. I renewed for two or three years after they had shut down but didn't know it. They still accepted money. In other cases, the publishing company has offered substitute subscriptions, yet nothing was done.

ABSOLUTELY... and this is the part that people that want to make snide comments to defend THIEVES don't want to or refuse to admit...

There was a RIGHT WAY to handle the problem and a WRONG WAY. They DELIBERATELY CHOSE to do things the WRONG way.

Now a handful of guys want to run around defending them and all this nonsense, as has been done before. Oh well, that's their Constitutional and God given right to have an opinion, and they're welcome to it, even if it's WRONG.

BUT, I WILL NOT be silenced on this issue-- steal from me once, shame on you, steal from me twice, shame on ME.

Those THIEVES stole from me and many others. THAT IS AN INDISPUTABLE FACT. It doesn't matter if it was $10 or $10,000 dollars... THEFT IS THEFT, and a CROOK IS A CROOK, PERIOD.

The fact that a handful of ninnys don't like it doesn't make it not so...

Later! OL J R
Old 01-18-2018, 12:02 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
You answered your own question, smarty. The publisher knew it was going to crash, yet still allowed people to throw $100+ away, which you admit would do nothing to help the magazine.

Yep...

"So long as it was other people's money"... they're fine with it.

Well, it just tells me all I need to know about the character of people who will defend a THIEF and their actions.

It doesn't matter if you steal a little or a lot. What might be a little to one person is a lot to someone else, not that they give a d@mn.

How much does someone have to STEAL *before* it's a "bad thing"...

The road to hell is paved with "good intentions". I didn't buy "good intentions", I paid for a product I was foolish to believe would be delivered IN GOOD FAITH. Instead I and everyone else who made a similar leap of faith *trying* to support the effort were STOLEN from, with NO EFFORT WHATSOEVER made to "make it right". That ALSO speaks volumes about the thieves in question.

Course that doesn't matter to the apologists patting them on the head and saying "it's okay"...

Later! OL J R
Old 01-18-2018, 12:15 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
I can understand and agree with your "fraternal admonition" to not continue to cry over old things that no one can do anything about anymore. Water under the bridge, so to speak.....

But are you also suggesting that when people loose money to a rocketry vendor, that it is all for the greater good? This sort of thing should be tolerated? I recall you getting quite vocal over the business practices of Red Arrow Hobby and the RMR t-shirt fiasco. How does getting ripped off by Launch magazine serve the greater good more than getting ripped off by any other rocketry vendor?

Because it was "HIS MONEY" in that case... When it's someone else's money, it's "okay" and should be tolerated "for the greater good".

Theft is theft, period. Doesn't matter what the motivation or intention was. Shoddy business practices are shoddy business practices (speaking of a certain rocketry vendor here that was mentioned).

The fact that certain people will defend OBVIOUSLY UNETHICAL AND ILLEGAL behavior because it's "for the greater good", as their own twisted minds see it, reveals the nature of their character and mindset. I'm not surprised that Boy George would be first in line to defend them. I've seen his proselytizing before on the subject, as well as certain others.

I continue to 'call a spade a spade' and if some don't like it, they can choke on it for all I care. If "certain people" don't want to be called THIEVES, then it's REAL SIMPLE-- DON'T STEAL!

There's no right way to do the WRONG thing. Pretty simple, basic ideas, but clearly beyond the grasp of certain individuals. Oh well, our society is full of them-- part of the reason it's imploding on itself.

As for "water under the bridge", yes, that's true, BUT-- It never hurts to remember and point out who has a good reputation and WHO DOESN'T, and WHY... "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on ME!" If pointing out the past actions of certain individuals saves ONE PERSON from being SCAMMED by these jokers in the future, then it's worth the effort. When we just wave off such bad actions and pat the offenders on the head and give them a pass with an "it's okay, you meant well" (which is plenty easy to do when YOU were not the one stolen from) we do the entire hobby and all the good and reputable vendors in it a DISSERVICE. We give tacit approval of bad behavior and deliberately misrepresenting their intentions and thus take away or denigrate the reasons that GOOD PEOPLE FULFILL WHAT THEY'VE BEEN PAID FOR. After all, if it doesn't matter whether they delivered the product they promised (Launch magazine), then WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE if someone else doesn't fulfill your next rocketry order, or anything else in life for that matter?? WHERE DOES IT END??

So long as it's "a little dab" or "someone else's money" it's alright.... NO IT ISN'T... and the fact that some people don't get that is SICKENING...

Oh well, the prisons are full of them-- everybody in there is INNOCENT... JUST ASK THEM!

Later! OL J R

Last edited by luke strawwalker : 01-18-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:29 AM
BAR

My Uncle Red told me a story one time... he and my Ma-ma didn't always see eye to eye... there was some bad blood between them over the years, and lots of ups and downs... sometimes they worked together and teamed up on things, some times things went sour and there were hard feelings...

She came to him and curled up by him one time awhile after they'd had a falling out and had gotten back to some level of normalcy and she said demurely, "Red, I know we've had our differences, but if you can forgive and forget I can too."

He thought about it and said, "Well, Judy, I can FORGIVE... BUT I D@MN SURE CAN'T FORGET!" Meaning he'd seen enough to know that he wouldn't be getting into ANY MORE business dealings with her in the future... they could be "friends" but not "in business" together in any way. She jumped up like a snake bit her and took off...

I feel the same way about these thieves at LAUNCH magazine... I can forgive, but I SURE CAN'T FORGET. They stole from me-- that is a SIMPLE FACT. They stole from a LOT OF PEOPLE, and that is a FACT as well. They didn't do ONE D@MN THING to even ATTEMPT to "make it right", and that TOO is a FACT... I'm not in the poorhouse because of their actions, but I WILL NOT sit back and "give them a pass" and say what they did was "okay" for whatever reason-- "because it was just a LITTLE bit of money" or whatever, or because "it was a long time ago" or anything like that...

FACTS are FACTS... some people don't like that, but nevertheless it CHANGES NOTHING. Their actions are a matter of HISTORICAL FACT... if that's inconvenient to them, OH WELL... They COULD try to make it right, but they haven't AND THEY WON'T.

All I need to know... I can forgive, but I SURE WON'T FORGET!

Later! OL J R