Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Rusty-eyed Missile Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Semroc's beveridge board (the industry name for the fiber fin stock) appears to be free from the pressure deformations.

I'm guessing that's because they laser-cut their stuff. I always assumed that the deformations were from the die-cutting operation.

I was never a big fan of the fibre fins, but they've held up pretty well on my 25 year old Excalibur, so I suppose I shouldn't complain too much.
CMASS Member
Old 06-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Semroc's beveridge board (the industry name for the fiber fin stock) appears to be free from the pressure deformations. Also, as long as it isn't used for fin shapes and sizes that are inappropriate for its strength and stiffness characteristics (fiber Alpha fins would be overly fragile, for example), the fiber fin material is satisfactory and even superior for many rocket fin applications. Particularly for futuristic or science fiction models with simulated square or rectangular cross-section ramjet or scramjet engines, I greatly prefer fiber parts over sheet balsa parts.

I recently built Semroc's Centuri Excalibur with the laser-cut fiber fins. They are first-rate! Since the fins don't sweep back, they should last a long time.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:30 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I didn't dislike the fiber parts as a rule; in many cases they worked pretty well. The one attribute about them that I did not like was the different 'edge' left by the die cutting process. Actually, the die side of the cut was pretty clean with no crunching that could sometimes happen on balsa. BUT, the backside of the cut sheet sometimes had some pressure deformations (for lack of a better word) on the fiber board facing that would require some sanding and cleanup to look as smooth as the opposite side of the board.

I still have my original Nomad; those fins also show that ghost outline on the back side from the die crushing process.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 06-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I still have my original Nomad; those fins also show that ghost outline on the back side from the die crushing process.

Bill

That's a big part of why I didn't like them. My Nomad and F-104 Starfighter both have the same die-crush lines, as does my Akela-1 (Repackaged Centuri Viking).

Sanding them smooth frizzed them. I didn't know what CA was back then. When I tried white glue, it made the edges swell. It's no big deal to take care of today, but it was frustrating to me back then.