Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2016, 07:17 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Magazines for Museum of Flight

The NAR has established a partnership with the Museum of Flight, a major national aerospace museum in Seattle, to make them the official museum of our hobby. We helped them put together and open a large new exhibit on the hobby that opened at NARCON 2015 last February. The Museum of almost all of Harry Stine's huge collection and has Vern Estes' full collection as well. It also has Gary Rosenfield's rocket motor collection. Some of the best items from these are in the exhibit. The items in the display cases include the Astron Scout and the NAR National Championship Section pennant that Jay Apt flew on the Space Shuttle, plus some items from more modern times such as the winning rockets from each of the last two TARCs. We are working to collect the key artifacts of the hobby's history from other pioneers of the hobby.

An important part of the overall collection is the library. Both Harry and Vern had impressive collections of books, publications, and periodicals about the hobby. Parts of these collections are still being inventoried, but the inventory of NAR magazines is competed, and it turns out that between these two collections there are a few issues of a few magazines missing. I am trying to locate and have owners donate one copy of each of the missing items, preferably in near-perfect library-quality condition. The list is provided below. It includes 3 issues of Model Rocketry magazine (Nov 68, Feb 69, Jul 69) and 9 issues from between 1975 and 2007 of the NAR-published magazine (which has gone under the title of Model Rocketeer, American Space Modelling, and Sport Rocketry). We are also missing lots of the issues of the few-page newsletter-style publication called "Model Rocketeer" that the NAR published in 1966 and prior before this became a few-page insert in American Aircraft Modeler, the AMA magazine. We have zero issues from March 1963 and prior, and only a few issues from mid-1963 until 1966.

Once we get the magazine collection completed, we will turn our attention to a complete collection of rocketry catalogs; what Vern and Harry had has not yet been completely inventoried. Stand by on this one.

If anyone has and is willing to donate any of the missing NAR publications to this national collection at MOF, please contact me by private e-mail at <ahbarber@alum.mit.edu> so we can discuss how this is done for a museum.

Thanks,

Trip Barber
NAR 4322 L3

Model Rocketeer No copies prior to July 1962
Model Rocketeer Jul-62 4 7
Model Rocketeer Aug-62 4 8
Model Rocketeer Oct-62 4 9
Model Rocketeer Nov-62 4 10
Model Rocketeer Jan-63 5 1
Model Rocketeer Mar-63 5 2
Model Rocketeer Sep-Oct 65 7 5
Model Rocketeer Nov-Dec 65 7 6
Model Rocketeer Jan 67 - Aug 69 Published as pages in AMA's magazine American Aircraft Modeler
Model Rocketry Nov-68
Model Rocketry Feb-69
Model Rocketry Jul-69
Model Rocketeer Mar-75 17 2
Model Rocketeer Sep-76 18 9
American Space Modeling Mar-88 31 3
American Space Modeling Jul-90
American Space Modeling Aug-90
Model Rocketeer Jun-97 39 3
Model Rocketeer Oct-98 40 5
Model Rocketeer Jun-99 41 3
Sport Rocketry Jan/Feb/07 49 1
Old 02-21-2016, 07:26 PM
Master Modeler

Cool!
Old 02-22-2016, 01:09 PM
7/21/61

Trip,

I have a copy of Sport Rocketry Jan/Feb/07 49 1 in beautiful condition I would be happy to donate. I will contact you privately as well.

Steve