Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Compulsive BAR

Send a message via MSN to Bob Thomas Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Thomas
Default Proof that I'm not alone!!!!

It is uncanny that just the other day my wife refused to believe that there were others so passionate about model rocketry. She believes I have more "stuff" than anyone. I made her come and view the post and pictures!!!!!

I especially thank Buzz for the archive links - when I first saw them, I had a paltry fleet of about a dozen. Now grown to almost 50 (two incomplete) and in the area of a hundred plus (many stashed -hidden from my mom, um..er.., I mean my wife).

Many times I tried to put together parts kits like Al (Green Dragon) but luckily I get distracted and actually build the clone instead.

I Keep buildin'em - gotta get out and Fly'em . Got about a score of virgins!
Old 08-16-2008, 01:14 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

[QUOTE=pantherjon]I haven't done a complete inventory, and I have added a few since these pictures were taken, but my kits take up one of the bedrooms of my house!:lol:

QUOTE]

Do you have ANY idea how twisted these photos are ?

not only a spare bedroom ( I'm Jealous !! ) , but it's CLEAN ... and... the kits are neatly arranged and stacked, too...

are we sure this guy is one of us ? or an imposter ?

:P

~ AL
Old 08-16-2008, 08:13 AM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Location: Illinois: where our Governors make our license plates.

I'll have to take and post some shots of my basement. It's a HUGE mess!
Old 08-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
Here are the ones I have, atleast those that are documented. Most of them are from the 80's.

Leo I really like the way you have your collection catalogued. It really makes it easy and fun to view the contents.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:39 PM
German Model Rocket Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas2047
Leo I really like the way you have your collection catalogued. It really makes it easy and fun to view the contents.

You're welcome. That's why it's there to help out others. Often people ask for scans which, if possible, I gladly oblige.

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 08-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Administrator

A big problem for me lately is I'm not building many of the kits I buy, I scratch build clones or upscales. I'm also finding it harder and harder to FnF, prime, and paint. The other day I took an inventory of stuff waiting for the "paint shop" and it's sitting around 20-25.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I just took a look at my inventory -- I've got 66 unbuilt kits. Nine of these are Saturns! I've got 4 of the Vs from Estes, 3 1Bs from Estes, an Apogee 1B, and a Semroc 1B. I also have an Estes Saturn V that is near to getting paint, a build I started 10 years ago! I kind of got distracted with other projects, and I did HPR for years, and the model rockets sat gathering dust.

Looks like it's time to order more, I feel now that my collection is so lacking comapred to some of you.

I do keep my inventory list in Excel, so I can track price, but mostly because I have the kits in big Rubbermaid totes, and I sometimes forget exactly what I have.

I'll have to take pictures of my basement shop. It is mostly a wood shop that has rocketry benches and an airbrush booth at the end. I've got a radial arm saw, table saw, jointer/planer, planer, two band saws (14" and 10" tableto -- ideal for rocketry), drill press, router table, disk/drum sander, oscillating spindle sander, and dozens of power tools, both air and electric powered. One of the best things I put in my shop is a deep utility sink, for cleanup, and also nice for wet sanding. My wife vetoed the installation of a urinal when we finished the basement, since their is a bathroom just outside the shop door, but it may be revisited when I tear into the kids playroom to expand the shop (their grown and gone, so it should become more shop space!)

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 08-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kaplow
I'll have to take and post some shots of my basement. It's a HUGE mess!

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat, Bob.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 08-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
Bob,

If you think you have around 900 kits but don't really know for sure, you can be sure you have more than 900.

I think the last time rokitflite posted pics of his collection, his estimate of how many kits he had was low by around 200. Or he said he had a couple of hundred that weren't in the pictures. Or something like that. Anyway, he has a lot of unbuilt kits.

As for myself, I probably have between 30 and 40 unbuilt kits. And that's after selling off most of my collection a year or two ago.

JRthro,

Well what would the error be if say the collectioed were 2200 - 2300 as of 3 years ago, and no inventory taken since? Oh, and not 2200 MPC kits on pallets, but kits spanning 1959 ~ 1975 ( Estes, Centuri, FSI, MPC, MRC, COX, and misc. manufactures).

No I don't own it, but I know the guy who does. He doesn't brag about it like so many others, so I will brag for him. I am trying to get him to take photos but he has his reasons for not being so public about his collection.

Robert
Old 08-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker01
JRthro,

Well what would the error be if say the collectioed were 2200 - 2300 as of 3 years ago, and no inventory taken since? Oh, and not 2200 MPC kits on pallets, but kits spanning 1959 ~ 1975 ( Estes, Centuri, FSI, MPC, MRC, COX, and misc. manufactures).

No I don't own it, but I know the guy who does. He doesn't brag about it like so many others, so I will brag for him. I am trying to get him to take photos but he has his reasons for not being so public about his collection.

Robert

Robert,

Are you talking about Mack Yocum or Tim Joyce?
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558