Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2005, 05:10 AM
BP Mafia

Default World Federation Star Probe

Anyone have one of these that they can get the length of the piece of BT-80 that is needed? It's listed as a BT-80S, but that designation hasn't showed up anywhere that I've poked and prodded. I've got one of the PNC-50SP cones that's sitting gathering dust, so I was thinking about trying to throw together a "close enough" clone.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 09-08-2005, 08:38 AM
Old School Rocketeer

Bill,

Scaling from the catalog shots, I get around 5.35" for the length.

Scaling from the Step #25 in the instructions, I get 4.82" for the length.

Based on those, and the propensity for round numbers, I'd say that hunk of BT-80 is 5" long.

Later,
EV
Old 09-08-2005, 11:16 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoVictor
Bill,

Scaling from the catalog shots, I get around 5.35" for the length.

Scaling from the Step #25 in the instructions, I get 4.82" for the length.

Based on those, and the propensity for round numbers, I'd say that hunk of BT-80 is 5" long.

Later,
EV

EV and Bill,

Check out the 741 Parts Catalog...

BT-50S is 4", BT-55S is 4"...

Now, follow my twisted and tormented logic:

The pylons are 3" wide. The bottom edge of the pylons are attached to the body tube on a line 1.875" from the bottom edge of the main tube. That puts the top edge of the pylons 4.875" from the bottom edge of the main tube. Now, the BT-80S shroud is mounted 0.125" ahead of the forward edge of the pylons, placing the forward edge of the shroud exactly 5" from the bottom of the model. You still have a 1" gap between the bottom of the shroud and the bottom of the main tube.

The BT-80S is 4" long...

Any questions class?

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 09-08-2005, 01:15 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
EV and Bill,

Check out the 741 Parts Catalog...

BT-50S is 4", BT-55S is 4"...

Now, follow my twisted and tormented logic:

The pylons are 3" wide. The bottom edge of the pylons are attached to the body tube on a line 1.875" from the bottom edge of the main tube. That puts the top edge of the pylons 4.875" from the bottom edge of the main tube. Now, the BT-80S shroud is mounted 0.125" ahead of the forward edge of the pylons, placing the forward edge of the shroud exactly 5" from the bottom of the model. You still have a 1" gap between the bottom of the shroud and the bottom of the main tube.

The BT-80S is 4" long...

Any questions class?
That didn't seem very twisted at all and was easy to follow when I read the instructions, except... where did you get the value for the 1" gap between the bottom of the stabilizer tube and the bottom of the main tube? I didn't see that in the instructions, although that is about what it looks like in the pictures.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 09-08-2005, 02:09 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
That didn't seem very twisted at all and was easy to follow when I read the instructions, except... where did you get the value for the 1" gap between the bottom of the stabilizer tube and the bottom of the main tube? I didn't see that in the instructions, although that is about what it looks like in the pictures.

That's the "twisted and tormented" part...

When you look at the plan sheets, you will notice there is a gap roughly one-fourth the size of the shroud at the bottom between the two tubes, and that would be 1" if the BT-80S follows the same size code. I'm following the "law of averages" here that the "S" code represents 4". Just as when you look at a BT-20J and a BT-50J, they're both 2.75", and the BT-50S and BT-55S are 4"...

YMMV with other codes, however...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 09-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

I have the World Federation Probe in my collection; put it is unopened and I have been thanking about opening the package so I could scan the fin patterns for YORS. The problem is the value of the rocket will go down if I open the package, but I will thank about it more. As for the length of the BT-80S tube I can get that for you without opening the package as soon as I find it in a storage trunk, give me tall Monday and you will have the exact length of the tube?
Old 09-08-2005, 07:34 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arley Davis
I have the World Federation Probe in my collection; put it is unopened and I have been thanking about opening the package so I could scan the fin patterns for YORS. The problem is the value of the rocket will go down if I open the package, but I will thank about it more. As for the length of the BT-80S tube I can get that for you without opening the package as soon as I find it in a storage trunk, give me tall Monday and you will have the exact length of the tube?

That would be appreciated. You might be able to get a "close enough" scan of the balsa parts through the bag with some skillful manipulation.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 09-10-2005, 01:59 PM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

The length of the BT-80S tube is 41/2” long, the tubing also seams to be thicker as will so I checked it with the Der V-3 and it is a little thicker.

I decided to open the package for that is one of the reasons I started Arley’s Spaced Out Rocketry was to help others to Clone rockets that could not be cloned because of special parts like the body wraps. It’s not the profit, for it is more work then its worth, put to help others to clone kits that were, will in my generation would say cool.

Will anyway I also have the Fins to scan in for YORS put it will be some time before they are posted, and if you need them right away just email me and I will reply and send you the fin patterns for this rocket? As will as the fin-marking guide for I thank the set on YORS is not to scale.

Arleydavis@cox.net