Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Forum Information, Rules, Etc
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2005, 07:10 AM
ReBAR Rocketeer

Default Larger fonts?

Could we get the fonts bumped up to the next size? I'm getting older, and my eyes just aren't what they used to be. For reference, the fonts on TRF are just right.

I was hoping there was an option in the User CP to increase the default font size, but didn't find it. If there is, please point it out to me.

Thanks,
Randal
Old 05-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShieldWolf
Could we get the fonts bumped up to the next size? I'm getting older, and my eyes just aren't what they used to be. For reference, the fonts on TRF are just right.

I was hoping there was an option in the User CP to increase the default font size, but didn't find it. If there is, please point it out to me.

Thanks,
Randal

I just checked the two. The fonts are actually the same size. What's different is the color of the font and the color of the background. I may look into a different "theme" to make the font stand out more.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 05-03-2005, 10:07 AM
ReBAR Rocketeer

Thanks for the quick reply. I really like the current theme, but it is much harder to read than plain ones like TRF.

Randal
Old 12-12-2009, 12:11 PM
BAR

I too like a slightly larger font-- it reduces eyestrain....

HOWEVER, I notice that while typing replies, the white lettering on the DARK blue background IS much easier to read than it is on the LIGHT blue background in posts...

Perhaps just switching the lettering to BLACK or some high-contrast color would DEFINITELY help... black would be hard to read while typing in the reply box though, but that's less of an issue if you know how to type... (or mostly do anyway, constantly correcting your own mistakes as I do... )

The colors are pleasing, but higher CONTRAST would make reading MUCH easier...

Thanks! OL JR
Old 12-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShieldWolf

Thanks,
Randal
What browser are you using? Most recent versions of IE and Firefox support enlarging the fonts. IE is limited in a couple of user-un-friendly ways (no surprise, eh?) but Firefox is great for changing the font size - just hit ctrl and then scroll the mouse wheel - voila! - bigger text.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 12-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
What browser are you using? Most recent versions of IE and Firefox support enlarging the fonts. IE is limited in a couple of user-un-friendly ways (no surprise, eh?) but Firefox is great for changing the font size - just hit ctrl and then scroll the mouse wheel - voila! - bigger text.

Doug

Yup, all browsers can do that, including IE. (I think that Microsoft's web browser was the first one to include that feature, actually.) I just select "Zoom" from the View menu.

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 12-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Yup, all browsers can do that, including IE. (I think that Microsoft's web browser was the first one to include that feature, actually.) I just select "Zoom" from the View menu.

MarkII
I find using the scroll wheel much faster. I think you're right about IE being first, but the older version would be limited to whatever font sizes were specified in the HTML, a very limiting feature The newer version zooms everything rather than just increasing the font, which has some merit such as letting you zoom pics. But, alas, it also causes the page to be wider than your screen causing you to have to repeatedly scroll left and right to see the text

The Firefox browser lets me zoom the text without exceeding the screen width, a much more user-friendly implementation.

Sometimes, I wonder if Microsoft code writers actually use computers...

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 12-12-2009, 07:42 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams

Doug

IE8, Chrome, and FF work just the same (actually, IE8 works a bit finer grained, giving you a bit more control).

Why hasn't everyone that complains about IE upgraded to IE8 yet?
Old 12-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
IE8, Chrome, and FF work just the same (actually, IE8 works a bit finer grained, giving you a bit more control).

Why hasn't everyone that complains about IE upgraded to IE8 yet?
I have heard plenty of nice things about IE8. I wasn't blown away by it, but it was...nice. But lately it's been freezing up and crashing my system (forcing blue screens) whenever I try to run it, so I'm sticking with FF3.5 for the time being.

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 12-13-2009, 12:52 AM
BAR

Thanks for the tip, Doug... I knew about 'zoom' but didn't know you could do it with the mouse wheel... that's cool!

I would just prefer to enlarge the font only, without messing with the page width-- I especially hate it when someone uploads a BIG picture into their text box and then it ends up making the page significantly wider than the screen width, which the browser or Vbulletin autmatically uses the extra width and extends the text out to the edge, and then you have to CONSTANTLY scroll left/right to read every sentence on every post on that page-- VERY annoying!!!

BUT, probably little that can be done about it...

Thanks again! OL JR