Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2015, 12:15 AM
Master Modeler

Default RSR Atlas V New Horizons

WooHoo!!! Look what was waiting for me when I got home from work, my order from Sirius Rocketry, LLC I placed a few days ago. I ordered the Real Space Rockets Atlas V AV551-New Horizons sport scale model rocket. Read over the weekend the Real Space Rockets models may be going out of the model rocket business soon so I immediately placed an order for this model before it could go out-of-stock. First picture shows the kit in-the-bag as I received it after opening the package a few minutes ago; second picture is the completed model showing how it will look after assembly and finishing (2nd picture is from Real Space Rockets website). Can't wait to get started on this model!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  12105789_10205611452906147_5542056187214883169_n.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  134.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  4e90f39e837b7278b79acd622193e21b.image.180x420.JPG
Views: 71
Size:  24.7 KB  
Old 10-31-2015, 11:34 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
WooHoo!!! Look what was waiting for me when I got home from work, my order from Sirius Rocketry, LLC I placed a few days ago. I ordered the Real Space Rockets Atlas V AV551-New Horizons sport scale model rocket. Read over the weekend the Real Space Rockets models may be going out of the model rocket business soon so I immediately placed an order for this model before it could go out-of-stock. First picture shows the kit in-the-bag as I received it after opening the package a few minutes ago; second picture is the completed model showing how it will look after assembly and finishing (2nd picture is from Real Space Rockets website). Can't wait to get started on this model!
You'll like this kit, it's a nice looking model when done. Did yours come with balsa or plastic NC & transition?

The toughest part of this build for me was smoothing out the 3D parts. Small files & sanding sticks came in handy, as did Squadron putty.

I wish it would have had correct logos on the upper section, but Carl was unable to get permission.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 10-31-2015, 11:41 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
You'll like this kit, it's a nice looking model when done. Did yours come with balsa or plastic NC & transition?

The toughest part of this build for me was smoothing out the 3D parts. Small files & sanding sticks came in handy, as did Squadron putty.

I wish it would have had correct logos on the upper section, but Carl was unable to get permission.

The transition is plastic; only balsa part that I can see is the nose cone. I'm going to make this my winter project (most likely during the Thanksgiving Holidays) as I need to get a few more finishing supplies (paint) to do the build. The model is a bit pricey for the size, but I guess if it's the only one on the market, the vendor can command such a price.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:06 PM
BAR

Quote:
(snip)
The model is a bit pricey for the size, but I guess if it's the only one on the market, the vendor can command such a price.

I guess... but his asking price is why I haven't bought any...

I love his subjects and would love to have some of them, and they look like terrific kits, but I'm just not spending that kind of money on a model kit, period... part of the reason I'm not into HPR-- too costly.

Asking a low-end HPR kit price for a LPR rocket, IMHO not really a business model destined for success...

Later! OL JR
Old 10-31-2015, 05:00 PM
Master Modeler

Probably part of the reason why the price of these kits are as high as they are is due to the plastic parts made from 3D. I know some of our rocketry buddies who've ordered scale 3D parts such as the tail section of the V-2 (including attached fins) or the Mercury Redstone mentioned paying even more just for one or two pieces.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:22 PM
BAR

Quote:
Probably part of the reason why the price of these kits are as high as they are is due to the plastic parts made from 3D. I know some of our rocketry buddies who've ordered scale 3D parts such as the tail section of the V-2 (including attached fins) or the Mercury Redstone mentioned paying even more just for one or two pieces.

Yes, probably so... I've heard they're pretty rough too, and need some finessing to make them suitable for finishing...

Oh well, to each his own I guess...

Later! OL JR
Old 11-05-2015, 04:23 PM
Consigliere to Bill E.'s BP Mafia

Nice looking rocket. Looking forward to your finished product.

Current project: Painting the roll pattern on my new Ventris build, gifted me by the estimable Dr. Houchin.