Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > RockSim Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Master Modeler

Default Rocksim is not simming

I'm using version 8. Windows XP. I am able to create the rocket, but when I load the engine and juice the flight profile I get nothing.

I recently got a new 'puter. Had to reinstall the rocksim software on the new HD and import the registration file. I also imported some of the updated parts files from "Craig's list"(was one an engine file?) I never tried simming anything before importing the new files, so I don't know if that was the cause or not. I'm wondering of I did something wrong during the installation because even though Rocksim says it's registered all the icons still say demo.

Everything worked and sim'd fine on the old computer, so I'm not sure what's going on here. I may have to email Tim and see what's up.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Master Modeler

I uninstalled rocksim and then reinstalled. This should have returned everything back to default parts, etc. The icons no longer say demo this time, but I don't think any of this is the culprit. I can pull up any other design I want and it sims just fine. It's just this new one that won't work. There must be something in this design it doesn't like. Anyone care to take a look?
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Pershing II BT60.rkt (46.9 KB, 107 views)
Old 03-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Oddroc-eteer

The sim didn't run for me in V9 either. I've seen this in some of my weird 'pod' designs but not on more conventional designs. I replaced the main fin set and it runs. Try deleting the fins and then adding them back.
Co-moderator of the MicroMaxRockets, microhybrids, and OddRocs Yahoo groups
Volunteer compiler of product news for ROCKETS Magazine
Old 03-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Master Modeler

I created a brand new file before you mentioned deleting the fins. Still doing the same thing. Then I saved the custom fins, deleted them and added them back per your tip. Still nothing. Weird. HEEEEELPP!
Old 03-16-2009, 12:51 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Found your problem...

Look at the materials drop-down for the fins. It's showing "Custom" as the selected material, and this is a known error. Apogee has tried to exorcise this gremlin from the files, without complete success. It's not in the materials list, but hard-coded into the program itself, meaning it will require a total re-write to clean up.

Once you change this setting, the sim runs fine.

On the C6-5. you reach 611' altitude with a Dv of 19 FPS. Not bad, but you'll need the benefit of the 48" x 3/16" launch rod. It takes all of 33" to reach minimum safe flight V.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 03-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Master Modeler

Thanks a bunch Craig. That solved it! I used balsa for the rear but forgot to plug that in for the forward fins. Changes the stabilty too. Could use more nose weight now. Looks like it needs a full oz. to be safe. I'm getting 687ft on a C6-5 with the extra weight and safe at 31" of rod. What is Dv?
Old 03-16-2009, 03:15 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by foose4string
Thanks a bunch Craig. That solved it! I used balsa for the rear but forgot to plug that in for the forward fins. Changes the stabilty too. Could use more nose weight now. Looks like it needs a full oz. to be safe. I'm getting 687ft on a C6-5 with the extra weight and safe at 31" of rod. What is Dv?

Deployment Velocity. How fast the model is traveling when the deployment charge blows the laundry.

Keep it under 20 FPS, and you should be OK. Above that gets you into danger.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 03-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Master Modeler

When I added the fins back I forgot to make it a 4 fin configuration and left it at 3 which obviously affected the stability. Reduced the nose weight back to 3/4 oz. Much better now. Had nothing to do with changing the fin material on the forward fins.