Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Default Russian Capsules Build

O.K

So you've built your R-7. Now you need the capsules. In this build thread, we're going to build a Vostok and a Soyuz for the R-7 in my October Sky build thread. We're going to (hopefully) tackle the open frame interstage that is a key visual point for these rockets. Again, this is a real-time build so it's going to take a couple of weeks. I'm shooting to have these done by the end of the month, but we'll see . . . .

Here's your Semroc parts list:

1 BNC-60SU
1 BNC-60CO
2 BNC-60MS
1 NB-60
BT-60 4.25"
BT-60 1.75"
BT-60 2.5"
BT-60 Coupler 1.75"
BT-3 3"
16" of 1/12 dowel

you also need:

1 PingPong ball
18" of 1/16 dowel
small sheet of 1/16 ply
11/16 wide sheet of corregated paper
cardstock and balsa bits to add detail
a lot of balsa filler/sanding sealer
Testors Euro Grey
Testors Russian Marker Red
Gloss white

Picture 1 shows most of this stuff: The BNC-60CO is going to be cut and resanded into a rough representation the bi-conic Vostok nose. If you look closely, you can see I've already marked the cut and sanding lines. The two BNC-60MS are also going to be cut, leaving only the lower 1/2" of the cone itself. These will become the bases that mate the capsules to the R-7. The lattice will be build on top of these cut down cones. I had a piece of blue salvage BT-60 that coincidently was exactly the right size to beome the Soyuz section and the Vostok section so I used it.

Picture 2 shows the masking off of the BNC-60CO. At this point, I've cut off the top 3/8" and masked a line 1.5" from the shoulder all the way around. I marked the center point with a T-pin and started sanding . . . .

Picture 3 shows the more or less finished product. Its not exactly right as the real thing has a more sloped lower section but it's pretty darn close considering how I did it. We may need to talk Carl into a BNC-60VK with proper slopes but for now I'm going with this one.

Picture 4 shows a cut down BNC-60MS and an as-yet-uncut BNC-60MS. I marked a line just over 1/2 inch from the shoulder and cut it with a razor saw.. I then sanded it down to level at 1/2 inch. We're going to glue a 1/16 disk on top of this as the basis of the framework so it's important that this cut area be as level as possible.

More soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  capsules1.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  207.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  capsules2.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  224.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  capsules3.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  155.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  capsules4.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  167.4 KB  

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7

Last edited by MarkB. : 01-23-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Or...I can make you one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Vostoks.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  216.4 KB  

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 12-12-2010, 07:31 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Picture 4 shows a cut down BNC-60MS and an as-yet-uncut BNC-60MS. I marked a line just over 1/2 inch from the shoulder and cut it with a razor saw.. I then sanded it down to level at 1/2 inch. We're going to glue a 1/16 disk on top of this as the basis of the framework so it's important that this cut area be as level as possible.

Making the level cut would be challenging for me.

Instead of cutting down a nose cone, I think I would take a nose block, sand the end flat and smooth, then add a narrow strip of body tube on the end to make the shoulder.

Bill
Old 12-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Surfrajettes Fan

Bill,

That's a great idea: it's simpler, cheaper and more likely to have excellent results; you get the "E" for engineering excellence. I'll mock up a Bill-style base later today.

I'm going to say right here that if you want the most beautiful, elegant, scale Vostok or Soyuz kits (including the R-7) you must get one of Sandman's. I have one of his Soyuz kits sitting next to my computer; it's so cool, I don't want to mess it up. I'm waiting until my skills catch up, then I will build it. I knew my skills weren't up to it in time for April 12, hence this sport scale build thread. Plus, I was hoping that some people who don't normally build scale might build an R-7 for April that wasn't super complex - so far, I don't think I'd put this build beyond skill level 3 -- but then we haven't got to the interstage yet.

I'll have some more pictures this evening.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Bill,

That's a great idea: it's simpler, cheaper and more likely to have excellent results; you get the "E" for engineering excellence. I'll mock up a Bill-style base later today.

I'm going to say right here that if you want the most beautiful, elegant, scale Vostok or Soyuz kits (including the R-7) you must get one of Sandman's. I have one of his Soyuz kits sitting next to my computer; it's so cool, I don't want to mess it up. I'm waiting until my skills catch up, then I will build it. I knew my skills weren't up to it in time for April 12, hence this sport scale build thread. Plus, I was hoping that some people who don't normally build scale might build an R-7 for April that wasn't super complex - so far, I don't think I'd put this build beyond skill level 3 -- but then we haven't got to the interstage yet.

I'll have some more pictures this evening.

The interstage struts (or whatever that lattice stuff is called!) are waiting to be laser cut.

I have been using the Soyuz lattice but that's not quite accurate.

Now one of the cool serendipitous (ya like that word? ) things is the fact that there is a wood dowel between the two sections joined by the lattice.

If I hold my tongue just right I can shape that dowel a bit and make it look like the third stage engine nozzle.

The Soyuz has 10 sections (triangles...whatever) on the lattice and the Vostok has 8.

Until I get those and verify the size I have to wait before I can make more of Vostok capsules.

Just stay tuned.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Guys,

I'm going to build eight V segments for the Vostok.

But is a Soyuz ten or twelve V segments on the interstage?

Check out:

http://cosmopark.ru/r7/511_561b.jpg

or

http://foros.zackyfiles.com/showthread.php?p=3902017 (scroll to the assembly picture)

I count 12 segments but: 1) I could be wrong; and 2) it could have changed over time; these pictures are both fairly recent.

Also note how light the grey paint is -- this looks MUCH lighter than the Euro Grey.

Last edited by MarkB. : 12-12-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Master Modeler

I imagine that you could seek confirmation from Arianespace but every image of a contemporary launcher seems to have twelve trusses in the interstage thrust structure.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 12-12-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Guys,

I'm going to build eight V segments for the Vostok.

But is a Soyuz ten or twelve V segments on the interstage?

Check out:

http://cosmopark.ru/r7/511_561b.jpg

or

http://foros.zackyfiles.com/showthread.php?p=3902017 (scroll to the assembly picture)

I count 12 segments but: 1) I could be wrong; and 2) it could have changed over time; these pictures are both fairly recent.

Also note how light the grey paint is -- this looks MUCH lighter than the Euro Grey.

I have searched a LOT of documentation on the Soyuz and the "best guess" I came up with is 10 segments

I have a "rolled out" view of the Vostok (first pic) it shows 8 sections.

The straight on shot of the Vostok shows ~~~4 visible segments in one view.

I don't have a "rolled out" view of the Soyuz but the head on view shows 5 segments.

So my best guess is 10 segments.

Any body out there have any better documentation?

If it turns our there are indeed 12 segments then i will change the laser cutting patterns before I re release the kit.
Attached Files
File Type: tif boctok pattern.TIF (151.7 KB, 111 views)
File Type: tif souz-tsmall.TIF (250.9 KB, 118 views)
File Type: tif boctoksmall.TIF (103.6 KB, 111 views)

Old 12-12-2010, 11:07 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
I'm going to say right here that if you want the most beautiful, elegant, scale Vostok or Soyuz kits (including the R-7) you must get one of Sandman's. I have one of his Soyuz kits sitting next to my computer; it's so cool, I don't want to mess it up.

I'll second that. Mine are waiting until I develop a reliable way to drop the boosters in flight. I won't go as far as massively clustering Chan Stevens style, though.

Bill
Old 12-12-2010, 11:13 PM
I do not like Facebook

What is a good source for 1/12" dowel? I seem to recall seeing either 1/12" or 1/16", but not very often.

Bill