Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2011, 06:02 PM
BP Mafia

Default First flight blues

I was really looking forward to NARAM this morning. Really, REALLY looking forward to it. Several first flight birds to fly, nothing but C, D & E motors to fly on the sport range, I was thinking I had it all figured out. Had the bases covered.
Well, I didn't.
First flight of the day was the Viking 5 that I spent the last few days painting. It turned out looking great in it's HHS Bluebird white and blue livery. Loaded it with an E9-6 within ten minutes of arriving at the field. QUIVERING with anticip-ation! FIVEFOURTHREETWOONE! BOOM! My first real CATO, and WOW, was it ever! Not much to say except HOLY @#$%!, so I'll let the pics take it from here.

On pad glamour shot.

Ignition.

Lets out a big supplosion. (For the Gary Burbank fans out there.)

OOF!

Bottom half, launch lugs sheared, motor gone, but mercifully unscathed.

Top half also lost the lug, but blown clear of the carnage.
Looks like the only real damage was to the motor itself. It's an almost clean burn-through, with only the tiniest bit of propellant still existing insde the tube. Yeah, I'll be sending in a MESS form. At $20+ a pack, I can't afford to let this go by the wayside. Tonight I plan to reattach the launch lugs, replace the broken elastic and have it ready for the first flight of Friday. Hopefully the pics will be happier.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 07-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Yeah, I'll be sending in a MESS form. At $20+ a pack, I can't afford to let this go by the wayside.

That won't get you any new motors. Do the MESS and send a separate email to Estes. Better yet, run to the Estes tent, get on your knees and kiss Mary Roberts' feet. You are good at begging, right?
Old 07-28-2011, 06:21 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
That won't get you any new motors. Do the MESS and send a separate email to Estes. Better yet, run to the Estes tent, get on your knees and kiss Mary Roberts' feet. You are good at begging, right?

I knew that. I planned to send an e-mail to Estes. One of the packs that I got from Hobby Lobby last week is all bulged out and won't be able to fit into my rockets without major surgery, so I may also have to see about those.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 07-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Cool CATO shots!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 07-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Craftsman

Send a message via ICQ to Swillie

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I knew that. I planned to send an e-mail to Estes. One of the packs that I got from Hobby Lobby last week is all bulged out and won't be able to fit into my rockets without major surgery, so I may also have to see about those.

Beautiful rocket, nice to see it survived. I am still amazed at how many great models are out there. Was this from a kit or created from old plans? I picked up 2 packs of E9-6's and an E9-4 from Hobby Lobby last week with the 40% coupons too (plus a Shuttle Express kit and an E- Launch Pad and controller, it's a good coupon) I better check those motors a little closer.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:02 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Cool CATO shots!

Yeah, I was bummed about the CATO itself, but I knew I had something that might be pretty neat because the camera was in burst mode to catch the launch. I stopped just because I was stunned or there would be more.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 07-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Master Modeler

It could have been worse..nice job on the rocket though!
Old 07-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Rocket Dad

YeeHawwww!!!! Great shots. Luckily no damage. Nice bird. I love the FSI Viking rockets. I modeled my L1 after their tube fins as will my L2.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:40 PM
OldSchoolDood

Send a message via Yahoo to Gary Byrum

I hate it when that "chit" happens. At least you still have your rocket. Looks like an easy fix though. There was no saving my Sat V from my 1st CATO back in 71-72. Meatloaf recovery.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:42 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Byrum
I hate it when that "chit" happens. At least you still have your rocket. Looks like an easy fix though. There was no saving my Sat V from my 1st CATO back in 71-72. Meatloaf recovery.

MEATLOAF RECOVERY??

That's a new one by me... I've heard of rekitting, post-hole recovery, shovel recovery, core sampling, etc. but meatloaf recovery is a new one...

Later! OL JR

PS. Nice shots Fish... glad you didn't have your rocket shredded and burned. Nice paint job!