Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Master Modeler

Default I've found a few old kits...

Hi folks, first time poster here. I've uncovered a few old kits that I never built: Two 70's era Centuri kits: Nova Payloader and Javelin and an Estes E.R.A. Nomad (the twin gliders on a booster rocket)? I'd like to build 'em—should I? Is there any value in having the kits?

I really like the two-color display card art in the two Centuri kits—great stuff and I'll be mounting those. That brings up another question: The (modified) display card art would make great T-shirts, that and I found an old T-shirt transfer decal of the Centuri logo in the same box of stuff. Would recreating the display cards for T's, along with the Centuri logo be unethical and more importantly—plagerisim and/or copyright infringement? Even if it wasn't for profit? I'm very tempted to do a couple of shirts just for myself (if no one else). I'd like to have your opinions on that as I see from reading the forum (been lurking a while) that these are concerns for old-school rocketeers—and I'm glad of that and I'd value your opinions.

This is my third go-round as a model rocket builder. I started in the early seventies as a young teen, picked it up again when I had children and now again, just because I found a handful of kits and decided it'd be fun to do again (and it is).

Cheers!
Steve
Old 01-05-2011, 08:59 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

None of those are particulary rare or valuable.
Build and enjoy.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Creator of 'STONE TREK'

Welcome, Steve!

I only chimed in because your history is a duplicate of mine. I think there's a LOT of that around here!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Paper Rocketeer

Welcome back to the hobby, Steve!

In regards to your question, I vote with GH - build them and enjoy. Before you do build them, though, take measurements of all parts, scan the fins and any other parts that are paper or card and will be used in the construction (transitions, shrouds, wraps or fin guides) and keep with the instructions - that way, you can always clone or repair the rocket at a later date using parts from Semroc, BMS and others.

My other suggestions is to find a club to fly with. I, like you, flew as a youngster. Then I flirted with it briefly about 20 years ago but dropped back out because finding a launch field was so difficult. Then, just about 5-6 years ago, I got back in again. This time I hooked up with the local NAR chapter and having regular launches, a great launch site and others who share my insanity have kept me in it. I'm going just as strong in rocketry today as I was when I first came back and I credit most of that to the camaraderie of my peers!

Greg
Old 01-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Master Modeler

Hi Brain and thanks! Funny how that works, huh? Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Thanks ghrocketman, I didn't think so, but I had to ask. The fins in those kits are a far cry from the laser-cuts of today (none match very well), but I'm gonna build 'em anyway.

Hi Greg, thanks to you too and those are some very good suggestions which I will heed. I never thought about the NAR, but it would be good to find some like-minded folks like myself (a knucklehead) to share the hobby with. Thanks again.

Anyone have thoughts on the second half of my query?

Last edited by foamy : 01-05-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Old BAR

Welcome, Steve!
While I'm not a lawyer (and I don't play one on TV!), I would think if you printed a few shirts for your and a few of the mates' here pleasure, it would be OK. Personal use kind of thing. However, if you want to duplicate an image from a card or catalogue and sell a bunch of'em, there might be a copyright issue.
But I think if the quantity is limited, to you and a few of us, there should not be too much of a problem. You can change the image slightly (colors, orientation, etc.), and then it would be yours to do with as you please!

My 2 cents!
Allen
Old 01-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Master Modeler

Thanks for the reply Allen. That's just about what I was thinking. Unless anyone has particularly contrary views/logic, I think I may do that.

I'm an old Centuri fanboy—it's the brand they sold at the hobby shop of my youth. I was sad to learn of their demise. I was also saddened when they wised-up and quit packing their motors in conveniently sized tubes.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:09 PM
I wish I was a spaceman!

They're not rockets until they have been flown - so get busy building.

You Can't break the laws of physics but they can break you. Christine McKinley

Dale Greene

Mentor, Penn Manor Rocket Club

VISIT SPAAR
2010 Calder Cup
The Old West
2009 Calder Cup

" Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act. " George Orwell
Old 01-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
Welcome back to the hobby, Steve!

In regards to your question, I vote with GH - build them and enjoy. Before you do build them, though, take measurements of all parts, scan the fins and any other parts that are paper or card and will be used in the construction (transitions, shrouds, wraps or fin guides) and keep with the instructions - that way, you can always clone or repair the rocket at a later date using parts from Semroc, BMS and others.

My other suggestions is to find a club to fly with. I, like you, flew as a youngster. Then I flirted with it briefly about 20 years ago but dropped back out because finding a launch field was so difficult. Then, just about 5-6 years ago, I got back in again. This time I hooked up with the local NAR chapter and having regular launches, a great launch site and others who share my insanity have kept me in it. I'm going just as strong in rocketry today as I was when I first came back and I credit most of that to the camaraderie of my peers!

Greg

Same story as Greg....I'm also insane. Not only do I collect rockets, but have an extensive collection of road cones and garden tools
Old 01-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazookadale
They're not rockets until they have been flown - so get busy building.

Never thought of it that way... you're absolutely correct.

I did build the easiest of the lot I'd re-discovered. An Estes Outlaw (not a real build) and it's companion Black Diamond, er, Viking or whatever else they've called that kit over the years. First time dealing with paper fins. Not so keen on them, but it went together all right. It took more time to paint it than it did to build it.