Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Looks like a fun day. Glad you were able to recover everything intact!
Old 04-07-2013, 07:20 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison Alum
Looks like a fun day. Glad you were able to recover everything intact!

For a change.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 04-07-2013, 11:39 PM
Master Modeler

Thumbs up

Good stuff Bill. I always enjoy reading your launch reports.
Was once SAM#0132
Old 04-08-2013, 02:11 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
The Darn Geeky, (yeah, the best I could come up with using as many of the letters from DARK ENERGY as possible,) was next off.

I thought of building one that way. Intuition would say it flies higher with the fins on backward...an application of some Jolly Logic will reveal the truth.

Quote:
I bought two of the Dark Energy kits, one to cannibalize for a Rigel 3 clone and the other for future considerations. The Rigel 3 project is still in search of some small cardboard discs to finish things, but I attached the five fin structures in reverse to a BT-55 tube and found an unused nose cone. That's as far as things got. I brought it along just because it was flyable.

I can probably scare up some. Need six of them? Do you prefer the thinner style Estes used to use or the thicker ones like today's Estes and others like Semroc provide?

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 04-08-2013, 02:24 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I thought of building one that way. Intuition would say it flies higher with the fins on backward...an application of some Jolly Logic will reveal the truth.

Yeah, maybe, but I think either way you have a lot o' balsa poking out in the slipstream. I doubt that my liberal application of Fill & Finish would help a lot either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I can probably scare up some. Need six of them? Do you prefer the thinner style Estes used to use or the thicker ones like today's Estes and others like Semroc provide?

Actually, yes. I thought about sending out an online plea back when I started the project and realized that the 13mm discs weren't as common as the 18mm discs. I had just tossed a couple out from the Mini-Orion that I'd started building, so I just ordered six 13mm centering rings on my next Semroc order.
They came without the centers.
After that I kinda lost focus. I was going to as Carl if he had any hanging around the next time I ordered, but then I decided to thin out my build queue a bit. That's where the project stands at this point, so yes, if you can find a few I'd be forever grateful. (And I have no preference at this point. )

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 04-11-2013, 10:39 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
so I just ordered six 13mm centering rings on my next Semroc order.
They came without the centers.

Maybe they figured out they can make money selling the doughnut holes...

I rounded up the thin ones. If they will be acceptable, give me your snail address and I'll send them on the way. If you prefer the thick ones, it will take awhile to go though the bones of kits to gather them.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 04-21-2014, 09:45 PM
MMXCVII

Quote:
The Darn Geeky, (yeah, the best I could come up with using as many of the letters from DARK ENERGY as possible,) was next off.

Things looked iffy early on, as the Geeky flew quite a bit higher than I expected it would. It also failed to windcock, and it initially looked as if it might be recovering in the trees. Instead the breeze dropped off and allowed for a left field landing.

Resurrecting an old thread, do you remember what motor you flew it on? I built mine with the fins going the right way like yours. I was going to fly it on a C6 this coming Saturday but it occurs to me that if it performs significantly better than the 750' mentioned on the header card I could have a long walk.

By the way, there is another possibility with the letters available. You'll see the leftover G and Y in a Scrabble game.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  nerdark.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  107.6 KB  
Old 04-21-2014, 10:27 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspad
Resurrecting an old thread, do you remember what motor you flew it on? I built mine with the fins going the right way like yours. I was going to fly it on a C6 this coming Saturday but it occurs to me that if it performs significantly better than the 750' mentioned on the header card I could have a long walk.

By the way, there is another possibility with the letters available. You'll see the leftover G and Y in a Scrabble game.

Mine was a B6-4 flight, and I have it listed as 400'. That's just a guess, but I can say for sure it topped the trees. I still need to finish the sanding. Mine flew in sanding sealer, so that probably chopped off some footage.
Love the name. I used some program after I thought of Darn Geeky because I was sure there was something better out there. There obviously was.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 04-22-2014, 01:02 AM
Old Fart with Rockets

I never noticed before, but your 'chutes seem to be true (or close to) hemispheres. Are they homemade?

NAR 31689
Old 04-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Master Modeler

We still love seeing stuff like this. Flying on small fields adds a bit of extra excitement as it tests your recovery skills. Glad you had a good day!

Randy
www.vernarockets.com
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJHOK6
https://www.facebook.com/RocketBabeDustStorm