Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2014, 06:36 PM
BP Mafia

Default You know the drill - Memorial Day launch, Monday, 5/26/14

Speaking of Memorial Day, it's been a rough few months around here. Lots of friends and family called home. First was a high school friend who'd spent his life fighting Spina-Bifida. Not sure I could have had such a positive attitude had I been in his position, but he was always up. When he was in the hospital the final time his brother told me that their Dad had taken them to B6-4 Field when they were kids and launched rockets for them, so that will forever enter into my thoughts when I launch from now on. I've already told my Dad's story, and he was a graduate of Woodfill Elementary, which is the school by the field. I think of him regardless. Dad lived a full life, and Dave inched up to 50, but Randy got struck down just when things were breaking for him. A couple of Wednesdays back when I was preparing to leave for my Rt. 66 odyssey, Randy pulled out in front of a pickup truck and was killed instantly. I coached him in third grade basketball, (yeah, I was over my head,) and he was the kind of kid you'd wish to get stuck coaching. Did what he was told without a question. Never had much to say, but Sarah said he was wicked smart. Turns out she was right. He was valedictorian of their graduating class in 2011, and went to Wake Forest on a full ride. To make it worse, his grandfather was in the car and died a couple of days ago. I can't imagine what the family is going through. I thought of them all today when I was launching.

Anyway, I spent last night making 3/4 of the Ebay birds flightworthy, or so I thought. First on the pad was the Estes Galactic Taxi, fin replaced and new recovery system installed.

It's still got its share of bumps and gouges, and the fins are not on straight, but it's sturdy and flightworthy as I said. It left the pad and arced to the left on an A8-3, then came screaming back across the field on the tiny 8" chute. Unfortunately it didn't seem to be descending and looked to be tree-bound.

In the end a miracle occurred and it dropped to the ground just in front of the tree. Cinched me up, though.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 05-26-2014, 06:45 PM
BP Mafia

Next up was the Estes Mini Shuttle, sporting a new tail fin, repaired wing, and new recovery system.

Flight of the day as far as I'm concerned, largely because of the streamer recovery. A8-3 flight. Windcocked to the left off the pad. Got to watch from below as it passed over, then ejected and recovered in short center.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 05-26-2014, 06:53 PM
BP Mafia

Not sure what the problem is with Photobucket. So far it's replaced two of my pics with little symbols. I guess you get what you pay for.

Flight #3 was my Screw Loose, which I just recently beat into flight trim.

Chose a B4-2 for this flight, largely because of the lack of height the previous flights attained. This one ripped off the pad, and I knew it was in trouble almost immediately.

It did the corkscrew bit quite nicely, but did it all to the right of the pad. Nose blow recovery, but the breeze carried it high into the tree that also houses my Custom ATW. I'll get the nose cone back for the ATW, but I think this is the last I'll see of the Screw Loose. I need to check my masking tape to see if I'm close to having another ring fin.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 05-26-2014, 07:06 PM
BP Mafia

Next was the Quest Brighthawk, also on a B4-2.

I had one of these that I flew for a review a long time ago, and I gave it to the kid who helped me with the recovery chores that night. IIRC, I liked that bird other than the centering rings. This one was pretty much the same, weak centering rings, but a quick build and a good looking final product. The problem was when I applied the sticker decals. Got them in place, then went to do some painting. When I came back, they'd all peeled up. That's why this one is flying nekkid.

Flew well, but even on a heavily reefed 12" chute it drifted all the way back across the field on recovery. A gone, I was sure. Sure enough, it drifted high into the branches of the tree next to the Screw Loose, caught, blew loose, fell five feet, caught again, blew loose again and looked like it landed up by my car.
I ran. Yep. Me. Running. I didn't want it to blow into 27. I didn't have to worry. It was IN 27. Two cars went past as I was running. Both must have just managed to clear the Brighthawk. It had some scrapes from being dragged across the asphalt, but it will live to fly another day.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 05-26-2014, 07:14 PM
BP Mafia

Flight #5 was my recently completed Estes Phoenix Bird.

I'm normally not a fan of the sticker decals, but these have held their place nicely, and they look great. B6-4 flight, and I was thinking it would be my last of the day. I changed the angle on the pad slightly, and this one headed straight for the outfield. SUCCESS!!

Tipped over at apogee and coasted for a long couple of seconds before ejecting. Then recovered in deep left. I'd pay for this flight every time.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 05-26-2014, 07:21 PM
BP Mafia

The winds were picking up somewhat, and I really thought that the Phoenix Bird was going to be the last flight. (I was running low on A and B motors. ) Things had calmed down a bit when I returned to the pad, so I found the lone mini engine bird I'd brought along, an Estes Screamer clone.

1/4A3-2T. Nose blow recovery. I'd get this back, right? Well, I caught the liftoff shot.

Then nothing. I spun in a circle looking skyward. I heard the ejection charge. I spun again. And again. Nothing. I really should have known better based on previous experience. I set the launcher down and looked again. Twenty feet in front of me was the Screamer. Oh, me of little faith.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 05-26-2014, 07:26 PM
BP Mafia

The winds had picked up again, so I really planned to leave this time. Then I saw the Estes Mach 12 at the bottom of the box. I don't get too attached to RTF Fire and Forget birds, so I loaded this one up with a B6-4 and threw caution to the newly blowing winds.

Disposable, yeah, but these RTF birds do what they're supposed to do. Great flight that started in the outfield and finished in trouble.

That's not a big tree, but it bites. No climbing possible here without Ripstop fabric head to toe. Not that I'd consider climbing for this one.

Didn't matter. It skirted the tree and landed on the hill below B6-4 Avenue. This time I was really done.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 05-26-2014, 07:28 PM
BP Mafia

And lest I forget, thanks, Chas.

This made things infinitely simpler.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 05-26-2014, 09:57 PM
BP Mafia

Also forgot that the Ebay Estes Bullpup was repaired and thought to be ready to fly until I went to put the motor in and the whole mount slid forward into the body tube. Not sure if I'll be able to fix that properly considering that it has a boattail.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 05-27-2014, 11:14 AM
Where'd it go?

Bill,

You are the man!

I'm lucky to fly 2-3 times a year, at events at that!

However things are looking up...

Bob

NAR# 54643 L-1

SAM# 043

AMA# 157091

VRCS# 154

A&P# 42x xx xxxx.