Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Cardstock Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Dog
I cut thru two tabs when doing the score thing. ha ha . I knew it was gona happen. I put some tape on the inside and glued it.

I have seen several websites where they recommend using a blade or the back side of a blade to score. I find that you have to be very careful and only experience will teach you how much pressure to use to get it scored right that way. That's why I use the screwdriver blade. It takes way more pressure to cut the paper that way. I have also seen recommendations to use a ballpoint pen without ink. While at work, I have used a mechanical pencil with the lead retracted, but you have to angle the pen to only use the edge of the tube.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:51 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampworks
I have seen several websites where they recommend using a blade or the back side of a blade to score. I find that you have to be very careful and only experience will teach you how much pressure to use to get it scored right that way. That's why I use the screwdriver blade. It takes way more pressure to cut the paper that way. I have also seen recommendations to use a ballpoint pen without ink. While at work, I have used a mechanical pencil with the lead retracted, but you have to angle the pen to only use the edge of the tube.

A butter knife or the back side of a table knife has always worked for me.

Bill
Old 02-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Dog
I down loaded plans for a Merc RedStone. I think it said there was 172 parts to cut out. It will be a loooong while before I get to deep into that build. I figure when I think of it , Ill cut out some pieces here and there. Thats alot of paper.

I have the Redstone built up to the tower. I ran into a problem that the cone at the base of the tower doesn't match up to the piece directly underneath. I've printed it out several times and I can't get it right. I wasted a lot of ink with that and got frustrated and set it aside. Up to that point it looks really nice. I need to brainstorm to get past that point.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Some place far,far.away.

Default Redstone

Quote:
I have the Redstone built up to the tower. I ran into a problem that the cone at the base of the tower doesn't match up to the piece directly underneath. I've printed it out several times and I can't get it right. I wasted a lot of ink with that and got frustrated and set it aside. Up to that point it looks really nice. I need to brainstorm to get past that point.
This is the one I found, same one??? http://www.cardinspace.com/content/view/10/8/lang,en/
Old 02-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Thats the one I built. It is very detailed. Oh, and the fin construction is similar to the Midnight Express. Very intricate, but nice looking when finished.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:16 AM
FlisKits, Inc.

Quote:

I often use the back of the blade, but the best tool I've found for the job are dull blades...

Ever get so much use out of your knife that it just won't cut through balsa anymore and you come to the realization that you have to get a new blade??

I take that old blade and put it in a knife I have with red tape on the end. That's my scoring knife

Toad's Tavern - http://toadstavern.com/
Personal site - http://jflis.com/