Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2018, 12:22 AM
Craftsman

Default "Countdown" and "Launch Pad" Specials, even more from '64

Trying to finish all the rockets in the Estes 1964 catalog, I got to the "Countdown" and the "Launch Pad" Specials. These again were parts kits where you could build your own rockets. But, they had illustrated rockets, suggesting that they could be built.

So, I took that as a challenge.

I was ready to take out my ruler and calculator, and draw me up some plans. And then I noticed something that was obvious - a rocket hiding in the "Countdown" special was the Cobra, K-10, which I just built for this catalog. One down, four to go.

But, then the question became "Are the other drawings of existing rockets?" Maybe so.

I started my quest with the "Launch Pad" Special, since they were very specific. They were all BT-40 tubes, with BT40-sized noses and fin canisters. Not being very familiar with the BT-40 rockets, I just started going through the old, old documents. In Estes' Rocket Plan No. 4, available on JimZ's site, is the Bug-a-Bye, a near match with the middle rocket (B) in the "Launch Pad" Special. There isn't a payload section, but then it's just an illustration, so some leeway may have been taken.

The third rocket (C), I matched to the old Dirty Bird III. The nose on the rocket is longer than on the drawing, but I'll grant it some leeway again, since the total length is about right.

The first rocket (A), I couldn't find an adequate match, what with the oversized BT-40 nose cone and Bertha-looking fins, so I decided to scratch build that one.

Finally, I needed to place the other rocket in the "Countdown" special. It wasn't a BT40 rocket, and had that ring and fins. So, I guessed one of the Augies. I went with Li'l Augie, since it was published before these plans, and the fins were a better match to the drawing than Augie II.

The plans for the published rockets are available from JimZ's site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  countdown and launchpad special.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  48.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  bugabye.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  141.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  dirtybirdiii.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  132.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  lil augie.jpg