Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Dazed and Confused

Default What are the odds?

What are the odds that someone would have three vintage kits (at least 30 years old) on ebay, assembled but not painted, and absolutely no damage to any of them?

Someone has a Constellation, Midget, and Gyroc assembled, with plans and templates. I'm not claiming that someone has made clones and is passing them off as vintage, but the only thing in the photos that we can't clone or copy easily is the clear plastic bag with an Estes thank you/free kit sticker in a couple of the photos.

Midget

Constellation

Gyroc
Old 11-06-2008, 10:16 PM
rocket dinosaur

I don't know what the odds are or aren't but I do know several guys, that if you went into their childhood bedrooms, you would models cars and airplanes still sitting there from 30-40 years ago. SO what I'm saying, its possible I suppose.

terry dean
Old 11-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
I don't know what the odds are or aren't but I do know several guys, that if you went into their childhood bedrooms, you would models cars and airplanes still sitting there from 30-40 years ago. SO what I'm saying, its possible I suppose.

terry dean

I still have rockets from that timeframe, but they are all painted. It just seems odd to have unfinished balsa in that pristine of a condition with no dings or dents. They must have been carefully packed away all those years.

The lugs look a little discolored, but I still have some really old unused ones that are more yellowed that that. The chute is definitely vintage. I just get the feeling that it's a recent build with some old parts mixed with new ones. Somebody buy them and do an inspection to find out.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:32 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
What are the odds that someone would have three vintage kits (at least 30 years old) on ebay, assembled but not painted, and absolutely no damage to any of them?

Someone has a Constellation, Midget, and Gyroc assembled, with plans and templates. I'm not claiming that someone has made clones and is passing them off as vintage, but the only thing in the photos that we can't clone or copy easily is the clear plastic bag with an Estes thank you/free kit sticker in a couple of the photos.

Midget

Constellation

Gyroc

About the same as some guy having 50 or so built but unpainted vintage clones laying around his basement.
I'm not naming names, but I'd name Bill Eichelberger if I was. Someday two other rocket goobs might be having this same conversation. (Although telepathically, of course. Technology will have undoubtedly progressed by then.)

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 11-06-2008, 10:59 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:

Midget

Constellation

Gyroc

The Midget looks genuine, I suppose, with the "browning" of the tail cone.

The parachute in the Constellation looks to be larger than a PK-12, however. Maybe it got switched with another kit the builder owned. I don't know where he could've gotten tape strips like that without them being genuine.

Not much to go on with the Gyroc.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
About the same as some guy having 50 or so built but unpainted vintage clones laying around his basement.
I'm not naming names, but I'd name Bill Eichelberger if I was. Someday two other rocket goobs might be having this same conversation. (Although telepathically, of course. Technology will have undoubtedly progressed by then.)

You're a bit behind on your painting schedule, eh?
Old 11-07-2008, 01:40 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
You're a bit behind on your painting schedule, eh?

Yeah. It doesn't help that QUARK is homeless now. Looks like I'll be doing my flying at B6-4 Field again unless I want to make the trip to Xenia. (New club up that way.) I'll probably go there occasionally just so my larger birds don't gather TOO much dust.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 11-07-2008, 07:30 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Yeah. It doesn't help that QUARK is homeless now. Looks like I'll be doing my flying at B6-4 Field again unless I want to make the trip to Xenia. (New club up that way.) I'll probably go there occasionally just so my larger birds don't gather TOO much dust.

My pasture is a B6-4 field too, with careful wind study done with junk rockets first. I only fly in bigger places once or twice a year at most. It's just too convient to slap an A8-3 or B6-4 in the rockets and walk out the back door with them.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:50 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:

What happened to VOA??
Old 11-07-2008, 12:58 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
What happened to VOA??

They invited us not to come back next year, except in a few contest-type situations. I think a lot of us saw this coming. Chan could go into greater detail.

I miss being SAM 0058