Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2017, 11:44 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

For awhile BMS produced parts that used BT-50 instead of BT-52. I have one SPEV clone produced with those parts. An untrained eye probably can't tell the difference. ST-10 would be even closer (can't remember if Carl ever made those parts)
Old 01-18-2017, 11:51 AM
the middle-aged rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
For awhile BMS produced parts that used BT-50 instead of BT-52. I have one SPEV clone produced with those parts. An untrained eye probably can't tell the difference. ST-10 would be even closer (can't remember if Carl ever made those parts)

Semroc sold it as a kit. ERockets still may.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:53 PM
aka Baron von Rohde

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbectec
Semroc sold it as a kit. ERockets still may.

I believe it was on the shelf last night at our Tuesday night build sessions.
SAM 0114
NARtrek Silver

2015 motors - 1469 n/s (200 flights)
2016 motors - 1238 n/s (175 flights)
2017 motors - 1/2A-4, A-26, B-52, C-47, D-6, E-7, F-3 = 1238 n/s (138 flights)
2018 motors - 1128 n/s (104 flights)
2019 motors - 2241 n/s (189 flights)
2020 motors(thru 7/25/20) - 1/8A-1, 1/2A-3, A-14, B-23, C-27, D-11, E-6, F-2 = 876 n/s (81 flights)

Last edited by Ltvscout : 01-18-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:23 PM
Flying since 1977

I bought a SPEV from eRockets last year. eRockets still have the hard to get pieces of the SPEV (BT-52S, TA-5260C, and BNC-52G) available.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Old 01-18-2017, 02:28 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl

If you wanted to scratch build a SPEV, using whatever parts you could get your hands on, then ST-10 is a great choice. Carving an ST-10 to BT-60 adapter might not be so hard, especially if you have access to a lathe and know how to use one. Carving that "angle break" in the transition looks like a challenge to me.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 01-18-2017, 04:54 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewalt

I saved my Viper instructions as well
Old 01-18-2017, 05:36 PM
Master Modeler

I remember when the SPEV appeared in the Model Rocket News. It looked so freaking cool! Like a real space vehicle.

It might have been the MRN that eventually broke the secret that SPEV = Spare Parts Elimination Vehicle . . . specifically the old Agena kit.

I have so many unbuilt kits, including a couple of modern-day Estes SPEVs, that I can't realistically go get parts for an actual classic SPEV.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 01-18-2017, 10:30 PM
BAR

Dr. Zooch used to offer the Thor Agena B, which is basically the "upper stages" of the SPEV. Couple it to a larger lower tube (BT-70 or 80) and you'd have a SPEV, more or less.

I grabbed a SPEV from Semroc when I heard they were going to close, along with as many of as many different sizes of tube as I could possibly afford to get from them. I always liked the looks of the SPEV... with a few slight modifications it would look very much like a semi-scale Saturn C-8 Nova (the liquid NOVA with 8 F-1 engines in the first stage).

Wes sources his balsa kit cones and transitions from BMS IIRC, so one could probably obtain the balsa transition for the SPEV from them. I think Wes used a BT-50 tube for the "Agena" of his Thor Agena kit, but it wouldn't be difficult to adapt it to a BT-52... they're close enough in size that a couple wraps of paper or cardstock glued around the upper transition shoulder should suffice, and sanding the shoulder down deeper into the taper of the cone to get a smooth transition from the upper "Agena" tube to the balsa transition shouldn't be difficult or particularly noticeable.

At any rate, it should be possible to duplicate the model given sufficient research to obtain parts.

Later and best of luck! OL J R

PS. I asked Wes why he quit offering the Thor-Agena and he said that sales had never been particularly strong, and the double-angled and LONG (as well as large diameter) balsa transition was rather expensive, so the kit had never really made much money anyway, after expenses... As best I recall anyway.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:37 AM
Craftsman

Default Spev

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtoelle
I bought a SPEV from eRockets last year. eRockets still have the hard to get pieces of the SPEV (BT-52S, TA-5260C, and BNC-52G) available.

Mike is correct. Randy has all the info to cut anything that Semroc (Carl & Bruce) cut before the buyout. Not sure if he can program new ones though. If he can get to the design your own program, others can design their own and it will be in the system to cut. I remember Carl working on this program and saying it will reduce the time he had to spend programming special parts modelers asked him to cut.

Sheryl